What's new

Black backdrop in lightbox: no reflection

What can I get for a deep, rich black background that won't have any reflection of light?

Thanks!

Don't have a back to the light box (only have whit sheet on the sides and top but not the back) and use a wall with a black sheet up for a background... Also flag your light source (put something dark right next to the light source I used cardboard or black foamcore) and place that flag between the source and the wall so that flag casts it's shadow in the area behind the object.... Here's an example of what I'm talking about that I did..
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382728546.861580.jpg

What the hocus pocus. So you reflect the light off a black surface? Sounds like voodoo to me.

Explain in very simple English for me.

First, forget anyone ever said "inverse square law"

A simple way, put a strong light close to your subject and correct your aperture for it. Put some seperation between your subject and background. Relative distance makes the biggest difference. Light 1 foot from subject and 7 feet from background is a greater relative difference than a light 6 feet from your subject and 12 feet from the background. This greater relative difference will darken the background to the point of blacking it out.

-x

What the hocus pocus. So you reflect the light off a black surface? Sounds like voodoo to me.

Explain in very simple English for me.

If u put something between a light source and a background... It'll cast a shadow on the background... Whether cardboard or finger puppets... So that makes the area darker... Contrast that with the brightness of the lit object and the background will go dark..

Also the inverse square states that light looses its brightness by the inverse square 1/n square meaning light looses fast.... That means the farther the light source from the backdrop the dimmer it will be

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382756396.133892.jpg

See how the light drops off to black on the left hand side... Now imagine you have an object or "flag" In from of the light...

Here is a simple explanation I just did in 5 minutes with the cell phone and simple prop...

First is the set up.

Light, subject, background. Subject is just about halfway between light and wall (roughly 3' each direction). The relative difference is 2x. Not a whole lot.

proxy.php

Here is the resulting shot with the above set up...

By the light being far away from the subject but only 2x as far from the BG, the correct aperture allows enough light to expose the wall.

proxy.php

Next we move the light closer to the subject, I moved about 1 foot. There is now brighter light on the dubject so I have to stop down the aperture to correct for it, which darkens the BG. There is still some color in the BG and the white window sill is still visable.

proxy.php

Again, we move the light another foot closer, it is now 12" from subject. I have to stop down even further to correct. This will blacken the BG fully because the relative distance between light to subject and light to BG is now 4x. You now have a dark BG.

proxy.php

Hope this takes the hocus pocus out of it for you and helps you forget the phrase "inverse square law!"

-Xander

Oh, and with a proper soft box or diffuser on a good light will give much better results on the subject than a half dead mag light!

-X

Fast riot, thank you! Very informative.

Sadly, I'm stuck with my iPhone for now and. I can't really adjust aperture that much. I'm also using a lightbox.

But that is very cool and good to know. Appreciate it!

That whole series of shots was done with my android phone. Just set it to spot metering or center weighted, it should automatically adjust for the brighter light.

-Xander

ETA: I would remove the back of the light box or make a second one and alter the diffusers to allow more light or make the light closer to th subject. Add some sepration from background and you should be set.

Last edited:
Top Bottom