What's new

Black Ark (ultra fine) OR True Hard Ark (extra fine)?

Slight derail :p

I have a Black Shadow (slate), so I am guessing that there would not be sufficient difference to warrant looking at one of Dan's arks as a finisher?

I have a Black Shadow (slate), so I am guessing that there would not be sufficient difference to warrant looking at one of Dan's arks as a finisher?
Kind of a hard question to answer. The honing experience will be very different. The edges will be a little different. How much different depends on a lot of factors, though.

It just depends on whether or not you'll be able to give into temptation regarding finding out yourself. Not to be an enabler or anything, but you'll never know unless you try, will ya?? :) :)

I'm a bit wary about jumping on the current Ark bandwagon. I'm still learning the peculiarities of the Black Shadow, so am in no hurry. Also, I'm halfway through November GRUME so this is all strictly theoretical! :)

The Dans black is a finer stone. The Black Shadow is an ok stone but it not quite the finisher a Arkansas stone is. I actually prefer the Yellow Lake (slate) one the BS.

The Dans black is a finer stone. The Black Shadow is an ok stone but it not quite the finisher a Arkansas stone is. I actually prefer the Yellow Lake (slate) one the BS.

Thanks: that is really helpful. I'll continue my journey with the BS, and perhaps in the new year look at an ark. :)

That is interesting. I've got a Yellow Lake on the way from the UK which won't be here until early December, and I've just received a vintage Norton translucent hard black. I don't own a Black Shadow, but there is going to be some interesting honing in December!

That is interesting. I've got a Yellow Lake on the way from the UK which won't be here until early December, and I've just received a vintage Norton translucent hard black. I don't own a Black Shadow, but there is going to be some interesting honing in December!

The Yellow Lake is a nice stone, I have a yellow labeled one

The Yellow Lake is a nice stone, I have a yellow labeled one

The one that is coming here is a red-boxed version. Fingers crossed that it is good for razors. Always a roll of the dice with quarried stones...

Other than using it with oil, did you find there was anything squirrelly about prepping the stone? I'm expecting garden-variety flattening and surface dressing.

@rbscebu - sorry for derailing your thread. I've only got two Dan's stones that are black, and I'm pretty sure both are Dunston slate. They came in auction lots and I shelved them. They'll come out in the future for a proper assessment. The best advice I can offer is to be patient and work the auctions for a vintage stone. There are some very good candidates that I see come up for sale.

I have a Dan‘s Black 8x2 and a True Hard 6x2. They are pretty much equal (both in terms of SG and performance), but if I had to start from scratch I’d go with a 6x2 black. Many prefer the look of the trans, but Dan’s at least charges extra for those. The True Hard is mostly translucent, so if you prefer the look of translucent, then that is a way to save a few bucks while getting the translucence.

I also have 1-2 vintage Arks, but the SG isn’t as high and they aren’t as fine as finishers. If you really want to be one and done, I recommend going to Dan’s. Because you will get a great stone on the first try.

If you really want to be one and done, I recommend going to Dan’s. Because you will get a great stone on the first try.

Good point! Great vintage stones are great and just OK vintage stones are just OK.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Dan's stones are about 50 years older than a vintage Norton from the 1950s - 350 million years old plus 50 years :).

I'm a bit wary about jumping on the current Ark bandwagon. I'm still learning the peculiarities of the Black Shadow, so am in no hurry. Also, I'm halfway through November GRUME so this is all strictly theoretical! :)
If it makes you feel any better that "ark bandwagon" has been astounding for 200 years and is global since they were commercially exploited. They were the choice for dentists, surgeons, barbers, engravers, leather workers, carpenters...... you get the point. I've heard that even in Japan many knife makers and carpenters consider them to be the absolute best finishing stone, and that's not an uncommon thought around the world.

If it makes you feel any better that "ark bandwagon" has been astounding for 200 years and is global since they were commercially exploited. They were the choice for dentists, surgeons, barbers, engravers, leather workers, carpenters...... you get the point. I've heard that even in Japan many knife makers and carpenters consider them to be the absolute best finishing stone, and that's not an uncommon thought around the world.

It wasn't intended as a disparaging comment; I am familiar with the history of novaculite as a honing medium. What I was referring to was the uptick of posts here about Arks over the last month or so. It is easy to get swept up in these, especially when HAD is nibbling at your resolve anyway.

Good point! Great vintage stones are great and just OK vintage stones are just OK.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Dan's stones are about 50 years older than a vintage Norton from the 1950s - 350 million years old plus 50 years :).
I was completely unaware that his stock was quarried before the green label norton hard Arks. It make perfect sense though because of the dozens of Arks I have around here, Dan's are the only ones that compare to old Norton or pike hard Arks.

It wasn't intended as a disparaging comment; I am familiar with the history of novaculite as a honing medium. What I was referring to was the uptick of posts here about Arks over the last month or so. It is easy to get swept up in these, especially when HAD is nibbling at your resolve anyway.
I didn't take it as such in any way friend, I was making a joke. I haven't paid attention as much the last couple weeks but when I first started the forum Arks, coticules, thuringians and jnats were the rage, and they still are. People get enthusiastic over the functional pieces of history we use frequently, especially their favorite stones. Ark lovers LOVE Arks. Coticule lovers LOVE coticules. Coticule>ark fans many times will use nothing else(understandably). Take @cotedupy for example... he LOVES Belgian blue stones on knives. Advocates for them all the time. You'd have trouble finding a handful of people here that feel as enthusiastic about those rocks. He converted me on them though and every claim made was spot on. Sometimes I catch several of us rock nerds coming off "shill-like" but because I know the people I can tell it's enthusiasm. Even me, several times I've read a post and though "they're going to think I've got a razor rock store!". I'm sure there are people here who shill their high quality rocks(which is fine) and those who ship low quality rocks here(not cool, get a booth at the county fair) but once I got to know many of these guys it became very easy to tell the difference.

Top Bottom