What's new

Black and Bone Restore

Thanks for all the nice comments. It was a labor of love and I am still breaking the brush in. I was concerned that it was going to seem long and have a weird balance but that is not the case at all. The SuperBadger knot is really really soft and I am glad I set it at the loft I did otherwise I worry it would have been a bit floppy.

altshaver said:
How does this brush feel in the hand? Is it light do to the top half being hollow? How was the condition of the thread? Did you glue the top and bottom together or did you just screw them together?

The brush is nicely balanced. It's not too light. It is not hollow anymore. After I set the knot, filled in the bottom with epoxy, the rest got filled in with more epoxy and then screwed together to secure the whole thing together. Basically it is all filled in with epoxy now. The threads were in good shape. I was surprised and thought a brush made out of bone would not be in that good a shape but it really was smooth to screw together.

pdmcadams said:
For someone who is tentatively starting to restore some brushes, could you go into more detail on the lettering i.e. how did you get the old paint out, what type of automotive paint, etc.
malocchio said:
Count me in on the secret of re-lettering the handle so perfectly !!!

The paint is basic automotive touch up paint that comes in the little vials with a pen tip on one end and a small brush that is attached to the cap. The key to this brush was in fact that the lettering had deep impressions. I over filled the lettering with paint and then sanded it down flush with rest of the handle. It then takes alot of sanding - working my way up to 1500 grit and then several polishing compounds - hand done not on a buffing wheel. It worked out that everything was flush, shiny and the lettering was crisp. I have one handle in the works that is not going to turn out quite as nice because the lettering is not as deep and the sanding has removed too much material.

Scrom said:
What kind of epoxy did you use?

View attachment 134788

This is the stuff that I use. You have about 1 minute working time so I need to make sure everything is prepared and ready to go. The self mixing tip comes in handy and I can get a small amount in just the right place. I know some guys only use the marine grade stuff but I figure that it is water resistant and is not submerged for long periods of time.

Brush_with_Fame said:
Gorgeous restoration... I heard that some brushes unscrew as a way to store soap, say when traveling...

I have heard that notion before. I'm not sure if I can subscribe myself as a believer. It makes logical sense but it does not seem very practical. This brush did not show any signs of it ever being used in this manner. I could be wrong as some brushes have a much wider diameter and it would seem that those brushes would be more practical in usage that way.

Top Bottom