What's new

Black 6S owners…durability issues?

I have scoured this site and the net and found one - only one - post of someone claiming deterioration of the surface coating of a black 6S. It’s at this site, but it may be more in the nature of a promotion for a third party surface refinisher than anything else. No photos were posted of the alleged deterioration prior to the refinishing.

Blue and red finishes have been horrible in terms of durability, but apart from that single post, I have found nothing bad regarding the black. Many posters suggest it’s a different, more robust finishing process for the black, than for the red or blue.

I have a brand new black 6S and stand in my hands. Wondering whether I should consider returning it for a drab grey one. Not crazy about the grey, but if the black wears off, I won’t be happy.

Thanks.

My understanding is that the black is a PVD coating. PVD is extremely durable and should last a long time - many years, maybe decades - if it was applied well. That's probably plenty sufficient to get your money's worth, but with any coating there is always a risk of it chipping off from damage. The most long-lasting finish is no finish at all. You'll just have to decide whether the small risk of coating failure is an acceptable tradeoff for a cooler looking product. I think you should feel confident in the durability of the finish, but it's your money.

My understanding is that the black is a PVD coating. PVD is extremely durable and should last a long time - many years, maybe decades - if it was applied well. That's probably plenty sufficient to get your money's worth, but with any coating there is always a risk of it chipping off from damage. The most long-lasting finish is no finish at all. You'll just have to decide whether the small risk of coating failure is an acceptable tradeoff for a cooler looking product. I think you should feel confident in the durability of the finish, but it's your money.
Incredible. Thank you so much for the really quick and informative response. Much appreciated. And much respect.

Top Bottom