What's new

BL-LE Photo Journal

This year I would like to keep you all updated with the progress and process of making 25 pipes in an assembly line fashion. Sometimes there will be a lot happening, and sometimes it will slow down, depending on what other things I have going on this summer. So to start, today I have tidied up the workshop. This is where it's all going to happen!
a.JPG

This is the main back wall where I turn, shape and buff. Here I keep rows of briar and all the bits and bobs needed for making a pipe.
b.JPG

There is well over 100 blocks on these shelves, but if you look carefully at all the pictures you will see blocks all over the place!
c.JPG

This bench is where I do all the hand shaping, filing, dremel work, staining, stamping, etc.
d.JPG

This side of the workshop is the really dusty side, for cutting blocks and sandblasting. The compressor is housed outside the shop to keep the noise down. Yes, that is a moonshine still up by the dust extractor, but I haven't finished that project yet!
e.JPG

This bench is where I hang out and smoke my pipes, listen to books or music, and stare out the window. I keep all the pipes I'm working on here. I just finished up 12 pipes this weekend for a shop in China. Although I like to make briar pipes, my preference for smoking pipes are cobs and calabashes!
f.JPG

My first order of business for the BL-LE is to replace my home made buffing machine with this
double shafted motor. It's three phase, so I have to mount it and wire it up to an inverter which will allow me to control the speed. Having already been through this process with the bandsaw, I know it will eat up the next several evenings and all of next weekend. That's all for now!

The buffer is all finished! I made a swivel base for it so it can be turned 45 degrees and fitted with a sanding arbour for variable speed sanding. It is so smooth and quiet...a huge improvement on the old buffer with all it's loud noise and vibration. I have just two more pipe commission to finish up, and then I'll be committing all my pipe making time to the BBLE.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Now that my state-side visit is over and all my other pipe projects on hold for the time being, the BL-LE is now in full production. You can look forward to more frequent updates!
IMG_0004.JPG
So far the blocks have been chosen, cut out on the bandsaw and squared. The quality of the wood is so far fantastic...clean and nice looking growth rings. The rod stock has been cut to length and turned to width. Next step will be drilling the rods and turning the bowls. I'll take pictures of this process. Stay tuned!
IMG_0006.JPG

Top Bottom