What's new

Bizarre effects of quadruple bypass

My taste buds are freaked out. After my release and half way home we stopped for the night. I wanted soup so chicken noodle and crackers were on the menu. One club cracker tasted like I was eating an entire salt shaker. Had a breakfast burrito this morning and the bacon was just like the cracker.

Here is the really weird part. The green chili which is very hot from this place fired off the cold nerves like a very strong mint but made me sweat and my nose run just like normal.

Looks like I’ll be toning things down until the buds get back in order.

Any ideas on subtle yet amazing flavor combinations?

Maybe this is a side effect of anesthesia? Hopefully, it will wear off soon.

I would think of simple and not too spicy meals. Like steel-cut oats and berries for breakfast, pasta with tomato sauce and fresh vegetables, lentil soup with side salad and fresh bread on the side, asian style fried rice, etc.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Hopefully it's just some of the hospital drugs that are messing up your tastebuds. Statin drugs really affected mine.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes, congratulations! The mild or subtle flavor combinations I offer are saffron rice, pan seared chicken or pork chops with a little white wine deglaze, sage or tarragon, and a small splash of cream or a spoonful of sour cream, cacio e pepe with little or no pepper, smoked chicken sausage with mashed potatoes and peas, roast chicken with barley or rice and steamed asparagus, sole meuniere, seared scallops done with a dot of butter, a drop of miso, and a squirt of lime, spoonbread, and most any cream soup or clear soup with vegetables, grains, or pasta. Good luck and may your tastebuds soon be back in good form!

Making your own broth will enable you to dial back salt and pepper. Save trimmings from onion, celery, tomato, mushrooms, squash, and lettuce in a one gallon freezer bag. When it is full dump it all on a jelly roll pan and roast at 400 until some of the vegetables show light browning. Cover the vegetables in a big pot with about 3-4 quarts of water, salt to taste, and a healthy shake or pinch of herbes de Provence. Simmer about two hours and strain. This stuff is so useful, so versatile, and so much easier and more forgiving of technique than chicken or beef stock. It makes the perfect base for minestrone.

Last edited:
First of all congrats for making it through your ordeal! What does the doc say about taste buds returning to normal? Sounds like savory might be weird, what does sweet taste like?
Sweet is pronounced. Oats without sweetener were sweet and Gala apples are like chowing on sugar bombs. I like this.

Thanks folks. This was a surprise and the really bad, send me to the morgue heart attack was avoided by being caught early. All the docs will say about my taste is that it is normal but mine seems to be more pronounced. It will come back.

Wife had the same thing happen after gallbladder removal she no longer likes hamburger and the smell of fresh popped popcorn makes her nauseous. It has gotten a little better after two years but she still finds things taste different than "before".

Wow, congrats! That sounds like a really scary ordeal. Good thing they caught it early. 😳

My mother experienced the same thing regarding taste. Apparently, it's pretty common after blood transfusions and/or medication. Her own taste came back, but not completely. Some of the foods she used to eat before are still off the table. One possible explanation for this could be that our taste is partially regulated by our gut. If you don't like radishes, for instance, you can learn to like them by simply eating them. On the reverse, if you stop eating a certain food (because of sudden distaste) you might genuinely enjoy it less if you try it again a couple of years later. Weird, huh?

I hope the salty overload goes away soon and that your Gala apples always taste like candy.🙂 Good luck!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Cover the vegetables in a big pot with about 3-4 quarts of water, salt to taste, and a healthy shake or pinch of herbes de Provence. Simmer about two hours and strain.

You can also run it in an Instant Pot for about 30 minutes, give or take depending on your taste.

Also, I tend to leave the salt out of any stock I make. It's not necessary to make the stock, and you can always add it later to anything your happen to be making. Adding it beforehand only limits what you can do later.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
You can also run it in an Instant Pot for about 30 minutes, give or take depending on your taste.

Also, I tend to leave the salt out of any stock I make. It's not necessary to make the stock, and you can always add it later to anything your happen to be making. Adding it beforehand only limits what you can do later.

Same here. The wife salts stuff without even tasting it. I've found that I need much less salt since I've cut back on it in my recipes.

Top Bottom