What's new

Bivy tents

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I have used them a lot in the mountains. I have also used them on lightweight backpacking trips. They work well when you absolutely must have shelter and are also so tired that you will sleep soundly no matter the situation. In other words, if you are exhausted or worn out- or on a cliff edge in a storm without enough room for a tent. In those situations, they are great. I guess I should clarify that I was using what we called bivy sacks - no poles. Just a gore-tex, or lighter material bag that you put your sleeping bag in.
In regular life, I would prefer a larger size solo tent. There is no point suffering in a bivy tent/ sack if you don't have to. Get a small lightweight tent, there are a lot of great choices nowadays.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
fullsizeoutput_423.jpeg

I've used bivy bags quite a few times, but would only do so now if I had no other option. I always seemed to suffer from condensation on the inside of whatever bivi I was using, however "breathable" the fabric was supposed to be, and this moisture was not good for my down sleeping bags. They are also limiting in terms of cooking/heating water when it's raining, very windy or there are midges about. The latter, in particular, limit the seasons during which you can really use a bivy bag in the UK. Some bivi bags do have midge netting at the head end, but to me this makes them feel even more claustrophobic.
Some of the modern lightweight tents are little heavier than a bivi bag, if at all, and provide a much more pleasant experience. It would be a different matter on an alpine face, of course.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I had one - it was GoreTex, mid to late 70's vintage. The front of the thing was a very small hoop tent, the back end was a bivvy bag. Weighed about 2 pounds if I recall, packed down including the monopole to something the size of a loaf of bread.

While it was light it wasn't very comfortable. Early Winters I think,

I never used one, but just ordered custom hammocks for a 6 day kayaking trip through the Amazon Rain Forest (not on the Amazon River). It has attached mosquito netting and separate cover that is also attachable. I have not slept in one yet, but and excited to try it. I ordered from Dream Hammocks and they are supposed to ship later this week. The guide would supply hammocks, but at my age I wanted to make sure when I woke up in the morning that I could still move my neck and back.

I see the thread has gone to Bivy Bags Instead of tents. No problem.

I've got a phenomenal Bivy Tent, lighter weight and used primarily up high on the peaks and in the back country where wind, snow load and weather often is a concern.

It's an Integral Designs Mk1XL with optional vestibule. When solo, I just take the tent, a SINGLE WALL DESIGN, can move my pack inside the tent. When with a mountaineering partner, I take along the vestibule to store the gear. You have to like your partner as it can be a close fit with two, but it's very manageable. One is perfect.

Regarding bivy bags, I found them claustrophobic, susceptible to adverse weather, bugs and critters can come close in for a gnawing at night. I've got friends who swear by them, but it's usually the ultra, ultralight folks who like 'em.

Bibler is known also for single wall tents as is Hilleberg. For me, out here in the dry west, single walls are the way to go.

YMMV.

Top Bottom