What's new

Biscuits

So who is going to post the first recipe for sausage gravy (or any other gravy) to go with the biscuits?

I don't have a recipe, but my mom swears that my sausage/gravy is better than my grannies' ever was.

Brown the sausage patties on medium high heat. Squash/squish the hell out of the sausage for maximum grease expenditure. Once cooked, put the sausage patties on a plate to be "torn" into bit size pieces. Guesstimate the amount of grease left over and add an equal amount of flour for a roux. Add a bit of salt and pepper and brown. And brown. Not like a gumbo, but close. Once the roux is a dark brown, add whole milk starting with a half cup, then moving to a quarter cup. You are looking for a nice thick consistency. Bring to a low boil and reduce to simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the sausage back to the gravy and ladle over our biscuits. Not really a recipe, but I've done it for over 30 years, and just like a "pinch", nothing is exact. Practice, practice, practice.

Randy

I don't have a recipe, but my mom swears that my sausage/gravy is better than my grannies' ever was.

Brown the sausage patties on medium high heat. Squash/squish the hell out of the sausage for maximum grease expenditure. Once cooked, put the sausage patties on a plate to be "torn" into bit size pieces. Guesstimate the amount of grease left over and add an equal amount of flour for a roux. Add a bit of salt and pepper and brown. And brown. Not like a gumbo, but close. Once the roux is a dark brown, add whole milk starting with a half cup, then moving to a quarter cup. You are looking for a nice thick consistency. Bring to a low boil and reduce to simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the sausage back to the gravy and ladle over our biscuits. Not really a recipe, but I've done it for over 30 years, and just like a "pinch", nothing is exact. Practice, practice, practice.

Randy
Excellent. I just split a local pig with some friends, and got an awful lot of breakfast sausage out of it as well. I'll be making this for sure.

I'm a failure when it comes to making biscuits. Going to try some recipes posted here. Nothing like creamed chipped beef on a biscuit.

Top Bottom