What's new

Birthday's Coming Up...

and father-in-law/friend is asking what I'd like.

I've been using a Krup blade grinder for years with great results for drip coffee. Does the trick nicely as long as you take your time with it and press/release the trigger.

Up until now; my iced coffee has been what I put in the 'fridge after brewing a pot of drip coffee and I've been very happy with it.

My daughter bought me an OXO cold brew kit last year along with a pound of Stone Street coarse ground beans and I'm now a complete convert. I love iced coffee!

Stone Street has a large distribution center about a 20 minute walk from me, here in Brooklyn. It's been good exercise for me and the coffee is delicious...but I'm thinking that I'd like to grind large quantities of my own ordered beans, now. Got some coming in from Costa Rica, for instance.

So, does anyone have any experience with this grinder?

It's about the right price range and size for our kitchen. But if there's something that's significantly better for about $100 more; I'd be happy to add my own $$$ to the birthday present.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Brother, I am not the guy to answer your question, but I'll tell you that you have come to the right place to ask about God grinders for good value.

I'd be willing to bet that someone will come on and say that the Baratza Encore can run circles around the Oxo for less than $100 more.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have this one.... the only problem is, after trial and error, I need a 6.5 to 7.0 cup setting to get coffee the way we like it.. so I set it for 6... let it run... start it again and count to 6. lol. A setting of 8 is too strong for us.

There are quite a few pretty expensive grinders on various threads in the Cafe section. I'm sure they are great.... but the one you selected looks quite nice. We don't own any OXO electronic devices, but we have quite a few of their kitchen products and their quality is always just a bit better than the competition for the same items: brushes, peelers, can openers, etc.

As Doak said, I'm sure the real experts will chime in soon. They will have far greater experience than I do.

Brother, I am not the guy to answer your question, but I'll tell you that you have come to the right place to ask about God grinders for good value.

I'd be willing to bet that someone will come on and say that the Baratza Encore can run circles around the Oxo for less than $100 more.
Thanks. Looking forward to the recs.

I like your signature. I just finished an outstanding shave and am already thinking about what soap to use for the next one.

I have this one.... the only problem is, after trial and error, I need a 6.5 to 7.0 cup setting to get coffee the way we like it.. so I set it for 6... let it run... start it again and count to 6. lol. A setting of 8 is too strong for us.

There are quite a few pretty expensive grinders on various threads in the Cafe section. I'm sure they are great.... but the one you selected looks quite nice. We don't own any OXO electronic devices, but we have quite a few of their kitchen products and their quality is always just a bit better than the competition for the same items: brushes, peelers, can openers, etc.

As Doak said, I'm sure the real experts will chime in soon. They will have far greater experience than I do.
I like the price and small footprint for that one and don't mind playing with settings to get things right. May I ask how long have you've had it for?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We got it in Dec. of 2016... it's been used almost daily since then. I even take it with us when we travel.... ;)

Most of the entry level burr grinders use the same (or very similar) burr set. I've had a few in and out as when I find one at a reasonable price, I pick it up, service it, and pass it along to a new home.

Moving away from a "whirly blade" is a good step

Attachments

• 20210628_164034-01.jpeg
    20210628_164034-01.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210628_172442-01.jpeg
    20210628_172442-01.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 7
Most of the entry level burr grinders use the same (or very similar) burr set. I've had a few in and out as when I find one at a reasonable price, I pick it up, service it, and pass it along to a new home.

Moving away from a "whirly blade" is a good step
Looking forward to the switch, thanks.

And, yes: I'm enjoying the site, very much...😊

Ended up sending him the link to the OXO.

Was looking at reviews. Even the more expensive models have people panning them. OXO is a solid company. Price is right and it looks like a good unit. Looking forward to it. Thanks for chiming in, people.

Sounds like you're all set so I won't tell you about the one I've been using for the last few years. Congrats!

1649452649489.png

Sounds like you're all set so I won't tell you about the one I've been using for the last few years. Congrats!

View attachment 1436600
LOL...I'm glad you didn't show it to me! Looks stunning, I'm sure it's stellar. And I don't believe father in law (fine man that he is) would be up to ponying up that kind of $$$.

Thanks!

LOL...I'm glad you didn't show it to me! Looks stunning, I'm sure it's stellar. And I don't believe father in law (fine man that he is) would be up to ponying up that kind of $$$.

Thanks!
You have no idea! The coffee thing can go way beyond the shaving thing. I tend to stay away from these sites because I am weak but when it comes to grinders for me these are the holy grail. A few runs each year and immediately sold out. Very deep rabbit hole!

1649459383631.png

1649459490816.png

1649459663819.png

Top Bottom