What's new

Birthday gift for my Dad

This Tech is in pretty good condition. Someone wrote "March 17, 1941" on the back of the box. I hope to sway him back to try a DE razor again (he's been using electrics for about 45 years).

IMG_20220803_194138973.jpg

IMG_20220803_194002646.jpg

That's one great looking piece. I have tried to talk my dad to get back into de-shaving since he's retired now. He should have the time to enjoy a proper shave but, for some reason he really seems to hate de-shaving. He has some kind of special relationship with his Fusion 5, I will never understand.

I hope you do succeed! Good luck, sir!

I bought my dad a birth year Tech for his birthday one year and he never really used it. I found it when I was cleaning out his house after he died, and I just don't think he was up for a change in his routine that late in life.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice Tech and a nice gift. I tried to get my father back into DE shaving but he prefers disposable razors. I was buying him some nice soaps and a few brushes but he is old school and uses everything until it cannot be used any longer. I will finish up with what I have bought him eventually.

Actually, it might not be as odd as you think. A young couple I know just got married, and the groom listed a DE shaving kit on the gift registry.
It’s really odd. Thousands of conversation with friends and others…never a single a mention of shaving; especially TWS or anything remotely related to shaving. Talking about shaving outside these forums or my local barber shop is rare as hens teeth.

I love my Tech, but if I was trying to convert someone to DE shaving, I'd give them a Henson AL13. But then again, the Henson is probably 4.5x more expensive than the Tech.

Actually I decided to give it to him as a Christmas present instead of his birthday. We'll see!

Last edited by a moderator:
You set him up for success. Techs are known to be mild shavers so no concern about getting nicked.

If he needs a nudge here is an idea: "Hey Dad, let's do this. Shave one side of your face with your electric razor. Then shave the other side with the gift. But when you do, lather up three times. Once go with the grain, then across the grain and lastly against the grain. Dry off and then let's see which side gives you better results."

I am think it’s a lovely gift, but somebody who is set on their routine will not be swayed back to what they left behind 45 years ago. Shaving kit is an odd bday gift for 99.9999% of folks, because nobody places any emotional value on a shaving except those of us on these boards.
Sad but true. And most adults have figured out how to shave pretty well after a couple of decades.

It’s really odd. Thousands of conversation with friends and others…never a single a mention of shaving; especially TWS or anything remotely related to shaving. Talking about shaving outside these forums or my local barber shop is rare as hens teeth.
Ah, it's getting a little more popular because of our fearless crusading!

lasta

Blade Biter
A very thoughtful gift, and nothing better to re-ignite the passion than a good Tech!

I've successfully converted 2 people over the past year.

But my own father would sooner shave with a meat cleaver and olive oil than be bothered to put lather on his face.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

It might be uncommon, but I wouldn't say that it's really odd. I've talked to dozens of people about wet shaving. Looking for gear at antique sores, thrift shops, and yard or estate sales are the most frequent, but sometimes the conversations have started organically. I've had people ask about my aftershaves after smelling them on me, which has prompted conversation. Noticing shaving gear at someone's house, or vice versa, has started conversations. Mentions of skin irritation after shaving from friends, family, coworkers, etc. has spawned a number of conversations. It's kind of funny, but nicking myself pretty darn good when I first started wet shaving caused a few conversations from people asking me what happened. It put a big grin on a couple of the old timers faces at work.

Top Bottom