What's new

Birth year razor 1949

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
I’m trying to find a razor built in my birth year 1949. I find razors built in a two year range one of which is 1949, but nothing I can nail down to my birth year. Maybe I’ll change my birth certificate.

That's a bit tough since Gillette ruled the world in '49 but hadn't gone back to date codes quite yet. That being said, '48-'50 Superspeeds do "average out" to '49.....

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
That's a bit tough since Gillette ruled the world in '49 but hadn't gone back to date codes quite yet. That being said, '48-'50 Superspeeds do "average out" to '49.....
Thanks for the reply. That’s the closest I’ve been able to come on my birth year. I’ll see stuff on eBay that says 1949, but there’s a lot of misinformation on eBay. They have one listed now as 1949 and in the next sentence it says no date code. I should have been a coin collector. Grrrr.

I’m trying to find a razor built in my birth year 1949. I find razors built in a two year range one of which is 1949, but nothing I can nail down to my birth year. Maybe I’ll change my birth certificate.
Unless you've already done it... check out the '49s at mr-razor.com HERE.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pick any razor you like made after 1949, and call it your "birthday year razor."

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Unless you've already done it... check out the '49s at mr-razor.com HERE.
Thanks. I checked it out. It appears it’s a site for reference and the razors are not for sale? I noticed and also read that some people date a razor by the blades included which are date coded and may or may not be an accurate indication of when the razor was manufactured.

Thanks. I checked it out. It appears it’s a site for reference and the razors are not for sale? I noticed and also read that some people date a razor by the blades included which are date coded and may or may not be an accurate indication of when the razor was manufactured.
Yes, it's an information site run by Achim @mr-razor. I thought you would like to see what was produced in 1949. No doubt Achim would know which ones are most likely to be available.

Beaming you up Achim.

most common is the 1949 Super-Speed. If he says "PAT.NOS.ON.PACKAGE" and has the large ring, it´s a 48/49. When he comes in the red styrene case without notches, it´s a 1949 set.

Timeline Super-Speed 1948-1950.jpgTimeline Super-Speed 1948-1950-01.jpg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Wow! Thanks for that information.
Armed with this new info I went through my stash of razors and found a super speed in a red styrene case with no notches. I pulled the razor out and it had the patent on package inscribed.
Drum roll….I flipped it over and low and behold it had a W1 date code! Crap! The seller must have put the razor in an older case.

Top Bottom