What's new

Birdseed

Load it up! Liking the suet holders.

I tried discontinuing the suet block in spring, but the woodpeckers were so perplexed by this, I felt bad. Suet feeder attracts racoons, so am employing double chain and a carabiner.

AA
We live in the suburbs, and don’t have too many critter issues. Our biggest is the local squirrels like the seed. They don’t bother the suet. My wife thinks they are cute, so I put up a squirrel feeder further from the house and keep it stocked with sunflower. That usually keeps them away from the bird feeder.

One day I let the squirrel feeder get empty and the little beggar came up to the back door and looked in the glass of the storm door.

I sure don’t want them coming up to the house!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We live in the suburbs, and don’t have too many critter issues. Our biggest is the local squirrels like the seed. They don’t bother the suet. My wife thinks they are cute, so I put up a squirrel feeder further from the house and keep it stocked with sunflower. That usually keeps them away from the bird feeder.

One day I let the squirrel feeder get empty and the little beggar came up to the back door and looked in the glass of the storm door.

Yes, the House-Eaters are clever and over time become aggressive.

Lady next door used to feed them. Naturally, they invited friends and ate a lot. More than she could put out!

So when the feeder ran empty, the House-Eaters would swarm all over her house, screaming at her through the windows. "More! MORE! MORE NOW!"

Eventually, she asked for my help. I trapped and transported many of the pushy diners into far-away places, usually where there already were a plethora of squirrels. Parks, and parking lots.

They surely can run fast where there are no trees.

AA

Yes, the House-Eaters are clever and over time become aggressive.

Lady next door used to feed them. Naturally, they invited friends and ate a lot. More than she could put out!

So when the feeder ran empty, the House-Eaters would swarm all over her house, screaming at her through the windows. "More! MORE! MORE NOW!"

Eventually, she asked for my help. I trapped and transported many of the pushy diners into far-away places, usually where there already were a plethora of squirrels. Parks, and parking lots.

They surely can run fast where there are no trees.

AA
I remember you saying that. Just this evening I was watering the flowers and heard something. When I looked up there was a squirrel on the fence within arms reach just watching me. The little devils have no fear.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I remember you saying that. Just this evening I was watering the flowers and heard something. When I looked up there was a squirrel on the fence within arms reach just watching me. The little devils have no fear.

Yes; they may already be at the point of considering you prey... Nothing but a sunflower-seed dispensing slave. Holes will be bored into your attic next as they prepare their new home(s). However.

🤔 I know a guy that can help. @nikonNUT

AA

Yes; they may already be at the point of considering you prey... Nothing but a sunflower-seed dispensing slave. Holes will be bored into your attic next as they prepare their new home(s). However.

AA
This is one of the times I wish I lived in the country where a shotgun shot is paid no more attention than a screen door slamming.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

AA
I can help! I have 25 of the little jokers in the freezer! Fortunately for me I have a large lot with good fields of fire and a .22 suppressor (DOOOO EEIIITT! Trust me! :D ) but depending on house density a pellet gun might be a better option. A Gamo does good work inside of 20 yards. Another option is to get a birdseed blend called "Sizzlin' Hot". Lots of capsicum in it. The birds can't taste it and the tree rats hate it! Full disclosure... They will eat it of they are REALLY hungry! Another option is to sprinkle blood meal around your house. It's used at fertilizer but all sorts of critters take it as a bad sign and will stay away. As an aside... After wacking 25 squirrels and one racoon my attic is quiet at a tomb! Remember they are like gray hairs! Kill one and 3 will take its place so don't feel any remorse. The squeakers see me and they flee at warp speed. I have had to start stalking them they're so skittish! :biggrin: And they can be good for a laugh! I spooked one and he jumped to the nearest tree which was a 1" diameter pine. He was whipping back and forth like a windshield wiper on high and I was laughing so hard I couldn't take a shot! He got a pass that day.

Last edited:
I can help! I have 25 of the little jokers in the freezer! Fortunately for me I have a large lot with good fields of fire but depending on house density a pellet gun might be a better option. A Gamo does good work inside of 20 yards. Another option is to get a birdseed blend called "Sizzlin' Hot". Lots of capsicum in it. The birds can't taste it and the tree rats hate it! Full disclosure... They will eat it of they are REALLY hungry! Another option is to sprinkle blood meal around your house. It's used at fertilizer but all sorts of critters take it as a bad sign and will stay away. As an aside... After wacking 25 squirrels and one racoon my attic is quiet at a tomb! Remember they are like gray hairs! Kill one and 3 will take its place so don't feel an remorse. The squeekers see me and they flee at warp speed. I have had to start stalking them they're so skittish! :biggrin:
Until they do damage to the house, I can’t do anything. SWMBO thinks they are cute. I see them the way you do.

nikonNUT

Just thinking out loud. Chances are as soon as one charges her because its hungry she will have a change of heart!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

@TexOkie Shaver If you see these in your yard do not shoot them. You will just make them angry. Your best bet is to just give them the house and move!
ZOMBIE SQUIRREL.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom