What's new

Birds of a Feather (AS-D2)... What's your favourite combo?

Confirmed yesterday evening that the GSB has to be the sharpest blade on the planet. Whisks through my whiskers like a light sabre and manages to take a considerable portion of skin with it. I think I understand why people like them now, practically zero shave resistance even compared to Feather. They just don't suit my uneven/fragile skin.

I just had my best shave with a Gillette Silver Blue on my AS D2. Smooth upper lip and not a weeper in sight! I do appreciate a Feather blade in this razor, but it still demands caution. The GSB was sharp, but very comfortable. YMMV indeed!

Definitely really enjoying my AS-D2 with Feather blades. To me some blades sharper than Voshkod but less so than Feather are the Israeli Personna, Labs, Astra SP and 7O Clock Black in decreasing order of sharpness.

Chubby 1 and Feather combo ftw :001_cool:

I agree with you on the Feather and Kai blades being to sharp. I’m very happy with Astra SP on my Timeless SB 68 and Copper Windsor CR1 58.

Curious: Does the copper Windsor patina?

If so, are you letting it, or polishing it away?

If polishing it, what are you using?

I have the Windsor stainless with the H-plate, and likely getting the M-plate for daily work.

Beautiful razor ATT! Sometimes a little too aggressive in "H" for me tho...

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Brand new to the forum (or any forum for that matter, but wet shaving for years, and DE for some time now too). Loving the helloutta the whole "hobby", as it were!

I have the AS-D2 for more than a year now, and since collecting a few more razors, it doesn't get a lot of use lately.

Very simple design, well executed. The higher shave angle this razor is purported to have...it does have...and that takes a bit to adjust to. Never understood that, as the steeped angle above the usual 30, or so, degrees, really doesn't equate to a better result. Especially, with the learning curve required to get there.

It's a nice razor nonetheless, and I enjoy it on occasion.

Just watch it under the nose.

As for a stack up to the Timeless...

...0.68 smooth or scalloped is more comfortable for me.

However, the right blade, for the right razor...for a given day...makes the biggest difference IMO.

Correct face prep probably makes the biggest difference of all.

Last edited:
Heh, I'll not gainsay anyone who has a timeless - in any configuration, AtT, or AS-D2, iKon OSS, HONE(T) or any of the other razors I also own, nor will I make hay over any of the blades mentioned so far I also have in my closet; I will say, they do make for fine shaving - one and all - in a number of configurations and depending on how the tree frog sings, the hedgehog waves his hands taken from his burrow, or the barn owl's completeness of silence as it swoops 5 foot from my ear. They all seem to do the job just so; perhaps too much so some days as well.

Happy New Year and welcome to another season of meditating on that most fine art of humanity!

oh, reminds me: I was surprised how nicely a Gillette 7 O'clock Blk worked with the D2. funnything huh?

Curious: Does the copper Windsor patina?

If so, are you letting it, or polishing it away?

If polishing it, what are you using?

I have the Windsor stainless with the H-plate, and likely getting the M-plate for.

The Copper Windsor is coated and does not patina, just wipe it off when finished. It is really nice looking, finish is outstanding.

Only downside for me of Feather blades in the AS-D2 is that I get 1-2 shaves max out of them. Any other blades as sharp that last longer?

I use AS-D2 + Kai.

I don't like Feather because it's too sharp and has wax spots.

I have never tried Perma Sharp. Do they have wax spots on them?

Top Bottom