What's new

Binary soap blends!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, I'll play along. Does it count if you use soaps that have the same base, but different scents?

Haslinger Coconut + Haslinger Honey
This one came about because I had only one large container and the Haslinger pucks are quite small. The Coconut soap went in the middle and the space around it was packed with Honey soap shavings. The result is very pleasant and I think the scent is nicer than either soap alone.

Haslinger Schafmilch + Haslinger Marigold
I love the performance of the Schafmilch, but like the scent of the Marigold much more. Combining these two in one larger dish creates a variant of Schafmilch that smells nicer.

Speick stick + Valobra stick
Two tallow-based soap sticks that were worn down to the nub, so they were awkward to use. What if they were grated together? The result is a successful blend that shaves well. I call it Valobrik or Spalobra.

I've got a few other possible combos in mind to try later on.

Haslinger is such a wonderful performer, but has so little scent ... Coco and honey are complimentary, though. Speick plus anything would work! Neutral and good.

Hm, La Toja, that would also work ... And I'm going to mix Trismegustus with some other citrus. Too orangy on its own. Maybe Williams or Arko?

AA

My most successful is RR's Dead Sea mixed with Fine's Green Vetiver. I find Dead Sea to be incredibly slick but light on cushion, and the Fine cushiony but medium slickness and lacking post-shave (not to mention smelling more like cut grass than Guerlain Vetiver).

I've got a couple of sticks of La Toja incoming, to grate into Tabac. It should be a similar outcome - a 'thin' soap that's extra slick due to its mineral content meeting one with amazing cushion. (To be honest, I get my finest shaves with a pre-shave and Tabac. I think that's all I really need.)

I previously tried mixing Palmolive and Wilkinson Sword stick soap, but it was underwhelming. The smell was odd, and it didn't shave any better than the originals. These are similar products. I think the game is to mix two one-sided soaps so you are combining slickness and cushion, with scents that will work together. It's not that easy. Arko, I have found, does not play well. The scent can't be hidden in anything else!

I've also got a 1 kg brick of Vitos Extra Super Coco coming in which should present some opportunities.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Next binary blend: Van Yulay Death by Chocolate and Haslinger Schafmilch.

The chocolate smells amazing, but is a mediocre performer. Haslinger soaps are superlative performers with (to me) weak scents.

Let's see ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ok, I now have Chocolate Haslingers! And a great shave!

It even looks like Rocky Road ice cream, since the chocolate is croapy and the schafmilch was cut into marshmallow-like squares ... Greatly improved lather!

Finished with Stetson, because anyone who's used B&M Hallows will attest, choco-floral works, too.

AA

I have mostly combined soaps for performance improvement purposes. Grooming Dept sent me a sample of something that smelled amazing and strong but which was non-tallow and wouldn’t lather in my hard water. I mixed it with some grated tallow Haslingers Schafmilch. That stuff is beautiful.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Chocolate Haslingers has gotten better with time!

Perfect smooth, chocolate-smelling lather today!

AA

This makes me wish I had kept my sample of Srirling's Texas On Fire - which I did not like the smell of; too smoky - to find something to mellow it out. Maybe it's in a closet somewhere...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This makes me wish I had kept my sample of Srirling's Texas On Fire - which I did not like the smell of; too smoky - to find something to mellow it out. Maybe it's in a closet somewhere...

Stirling products later well, so it'll make anything better!

Was going to say, smoky pineapple. But just buying Aventus clones do that.

AA

One time I mixed Mobil gasoline and Shell gasoline but I never did it again because when you mix them you get Shmell.

Top Bottom