What's new

Billy Budd

Any of you it there tried this blend? Since my go to is Balkan Supreme, thought I might give it a try. My B&M has curbside pickup and they sell it in bulk.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Billy Budd is a good smoke. The Burley changes what would be a run of the mill English blend into an entirely new experience. If you like Burley and you like English blends then you'll like it.

Billy Budd is a good smoke. The Burley changes what would be a run of the mill English blend into an entirely new experience. If you like Burley and you like English blends then you'll like it.
Not much experience with Burley. Tried Haunted Bookshop and it was pretty meh. I did discover that Perique is not for me. Thanks for the feedback.

brandaves

Well I wouldn't say it has much in common with Balkan Supreme outside of the Latakia. Billy Budd is for (lack a better word) rough in comparison. Where the Balkan Supreme could be called smooth the burley leaf in Billy Budd adds some rough edges. For a lot of smokers that is a selling point, others not so much...it's hard to explain. I'll say it's worth an ounce sample to see if you like it.

brandaves

Billy Budd also has cigar leaf which kicks it up a notch in the strong flavor department...don't expect Balkan Supreme when you light it and you might just enjoy yourself.

Billy Budd also has cigar leaf which kicks it up a notch in the strong flavor department...don't expect Balkan Supreme when you light it and you might just enjoy yourself.
That’s exactly the point. I want something different as a change of pace. I will post once I try it.

brandaves

It's definitely a change of pace, I enjoy it. Hopefully you'll enjoy it also. Let me know what you think.

I recently picked up 1oz of Billy Budd from P&C and so far its OK but not going to win any awards with my taste. Much prefer Crooner, St.Brunos, and many of the Gowith blends. If you are curious pick up a OZ or 2 and see what you think. So many tobaccos out there and everyones taste is different so take any reviews with a grain of salt.

brandaves

So many tobaccos out there and everyones taste is different so take any reviews with a grain of salt.
This. I hesitate to talk too much about my experience with the tobacco because it may taint yours. It could be my favorite tobacco and a daily smoke for me, you may absolutely hate it. I love C&D Bayou Morning with my coffee but because of the perique in there you might not be able to even tolerate it, let alone enjoy it. It helps to get a feel for what to expect from the constituent leaf in a blend. That will give you a good basis for understanding the types of flavors and feel each is likely to impart. With that as a baseline you'll be better able to move forward confidently with purchasing new blends and expanding your horizons.

You've already mentioned you don't like perique (I wouldn't completely write it off yet, it can be made subtle in certain blends). I would recommend branching out into trying other blends that feature specific leaf. This ought to give you a good baseline for the flavors you enjoy.

Burley: I usually go back to basics with burley, the OTC blends. Try Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall. All of the blends are barely based, cheap and easy to find. Any smoke shop is certain to have them.

Virginia: This might be tough because my favorite Virginia blends are so often paired with perique...Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist flake, Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake. Those are both straight Virginia with a bit of casing. I would also recommend you give Escudo a try. I don't know what your experience with perique was but that is a staple Virginia/perique blend.

Latakia: Seems like your familiarity with Balkan Supreme can check this box although enjoying other English blends can't hurt. Sutliff Voodoo Queen is a good one, albeit with Perique in there. My Mixture 965 or a match blend would make a good baseline. As I said though, Balkan Supreme is a good intro.

for the reminder I'd just recommend some research into what flavors and character turkish, oriental, cigar and cavendish are imparting. You're sure to encounter them all and understanding what they bring to the table will greatly enhance your ability to decide whether a tobacco blend is worth trying given your individual preferences.

Hope this helps. As I've said many times before I'm still learning myself. Keep asking questions!

brandaves

Try an Amphora sampler pack. Pretty good intro to the different types and it's kind of a one stop deal.

This. I hesitate to talk too much about my experience with the tobacco because it may taint yours. It could be my favorite tobacco and a daily smoke for me, you may absolutely hate it. I love C&D Bayou Morning with my coffee but because of the perique in there you might not be able to even tolerate it, let alone enjoy it. It helps to get a feel for what to expect from the constituent leaf in a blend. That will give you a good basis for understanding the types of flavors and feel each is likely to impart. With that as a baseline you'll be better able to move forward confidently with purchasing new blends and expanding your horizons.

You've already mentioned you don't like perique (I wouldn't completely write it off yet, it can be made subtle in certain blends). I would recommend branching out into trying other blends that feature specific leaf. This ought to give you a good baseline for the flavors you enjoy.

Burley: I usually go back to basics with burley, the OTC blends. Try Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall. All of the blends are barely based, cheap and easy to find. Any smoke shop is certain to have them.

Virginia: This might be tough because my favorite Virginia blends are so often paired with perique...Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist flake, Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake. Those are both straight Virginia with a bit of casing. I would also recommend you give Escudo a try. I don't know what your experience with perique was but that is a staple Virginia/perique blend.

Latakia: Seems like your familiarity with Balkan Supreme can check this box although enjoying other English blends can't hurt. Sutliff Voodoo Queen is a good one, albeit with Perique in there. My Mixture 965 or a match blend would make a good baseline. As I said though, Balkan Supreme is a good intro.

for the reminder I'd just recommend some research into what flavors and character turkish, oriental, cigar and cavendish are imparting. You're sure to encounter them all and understanding what they bring to the table will greatly enhance your ability to decide whether a tobacco blend is worth trying given your individual preferences.

Hope this helps. As I've said many times before I'm still learning myself. Keep asking questions!
Thanks for the the valuable insights. It is very generous of you to take the time. When it comes to pipe Tobacco, Cigars, and Wet Shaving, I tend to find something I like and stick with it. I had my last car for 23 years albeit an S Class Mercedes.

brandaves

Thanks for the the valuable insights. It is very generous of you to take the time. When it comes to pipe Tobacco, Cigars, and Wet Shaving, I tend to find something I like and stick with it. I had my last car for 23 years albeit an S Class Mercedes.
People here were very generous with their time and insights when I first picked up a pipe, I'm just trying to pay it forward. The Amphora kit is $29 and comes with a pack each of Virginia, Burley, Kentucky, English and Black Cavendish blends. They would be an excellent introduction to different blend styles. A great jumping off point in my opinion...cheaply at that.

Use your local shop as a decent place to start on trying their bulks. Most will give you a pipe full of something if you buy something else from them. I know my local ones would. They sold a lot more tobacco that way and it beats buying an ounce to find out you don't care for it.

Crooner could be a nice blend to mix in. Burley, VA and deertongue. Decent Nic hit and interesting flavor. Dark Va's may be more your cup of tea.

One gentleman I know that has helped me in my pipe journey and has sold me a lot of pipes... he only smokes CD London Squire and CD Three Friars. He occasionally smokes Pembroke. Before Revelation went away he exclusively smoked that and does not like any of the "match" out there. The three friars has some perique but it isn't that noticable. The burley adds body. Some days I can smoke it and enjoy it and others I just dont care for it. So I have a lot cellared.

Top Bottom