What's new

Bikini questions

Hi ladies,
I just had my first DE shave. Only my usual knee knicks; this is the first time I've shaved my bikini line with no nicks, razor burn, or skin irritation! My kit arrived with the wrong handle and after emailing customer care, the lovely people at Maggard immediately sent me a replacement and told me to keep the other as a spare! (Talk about good customer service!) So, now I have several questions about the bikini area:
A) Since I have a second handle, should I order a v2 OC for my bikini line? Is this safe/advisable?
B) If I do order an open comb, which should I pair it with, the MR18 or the MRP?
C) Which shaving soaps, shaving creams and aftershaves are safe to use "down there"?

Thanks! :)

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and tell us more about yourself. Sorry, but I can't give any help on your questions. Perhaps some of our female members can help.

Hi ladies,
I just had my first DE shave. Only my usual knee knicks; this is the first time I've shaved my bikini line with no nicks, razor burn, or skin irritation! My kit arrived with the wrong handle and after emailing customer care, the lovely people at Maggard immediately sent me a replacement and told me to keep the other as a spare! (Talk about good customer service!) So, now I have several questions about the bikini area:
A) Since I have a second handle, should I order a v2 OC for my bikini line? Is this safe/advisable?
B) If I do order an open comb, which should I pair it with, the MR18 or the MRP?
C) Which shaving soaps, shaving creams and aftershaves are safe to use "down there"?

Thanks! :)

Hello,
Welcome to B&B. Congratulations on your first DE shave.

I believe you find you'll get much less burn and trouble with ingrown hair and not to mention a very smooth shave.

Which razor head did you buy? The V2 seems like a good choice for your needs. Open comb razors are just as safe and some folks prefer them because they leave a slight film of soap.

On the handle choice between the two you mentioned I would recommend the MR18. The MR18 has a long knurled handle which will still have a good grip when soapy and wet.
The MRP looks nice but I fear it would be slick when wet and soapy.

Soap, hmmmm. Being a head shaver some soaps that are too fragranced or mentholated bother me. I guess a soap for sensitive skin would be appropriate for the "south". Proraso makes a soft soap for sensitive skin which might be perfect for you.

Proraso Green Tea & Oat Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin Tub (150ml) NEW Formula | Maggard Razors - Straight Razor Restoration, Custom Scales and Wet Shaving Products

Cheers
John

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Welcome to B&B! All good suggestions so far. I would also suggest a trip to the Shave Wiki for tips on technique. I learn something new there everday, it seems.
Main Page

Kindly,
Adam

Welcome to B&B @InkyPoetess. We have some female members here on the forum and I hope they stop by to help you out. You may want to post your question in the forum "League of Leg Shavers." You can find that thread here: The League Of Leg Shavers

I hope you find the help; you are looking for. And while you are here at Badger & Blade, check out the other aspects of the web-site...we have a lot going on...not just shaving! Again...welcome to Badger & Blade!

Welcome to the B&B forums. My wife uses a closed comb DE and doesn't have any problems with using it around the bikini line. I would agree with the comments about avoiding anything menthol "down there." She has used Captain's Parallel 45, Haslinger coconut, and TOBS grapefruit without any issues.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

shaving creams and aftershaves are safe to use "down there"?
Any shaving cream but it does depend on skin sensitivity so some trial is required. I like the Proraso for sensitive skin and TOBS do the Jermyn St cream. TOBS creams generally lather well. Really large selection from Maggards. Proraso after shave balm or Nivea balm for sensitive skin to moisturise the skin post shave.
The V2 seems like a good choice for your needs. Open comb razors are just as safe and some folks prefer them because they leave a slight film of soap.
Open combs get into the longer hair easier so may be a consideration when the hair grows out when you miss a few days shaving.
On the handle choice between the two you mentioned I would recommend the MR18. The MR18 has a long knurled handle which will still have a good grip when soapy and wet.
MR18 for good grip would be my choice.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
As far as a shave soap, my wife uses her Dove bath soap (lathers up with a brush), Surprisingly it can be used as a shave soap due to it's ? ingredients, I've used it myself when I forgot to pack my regular shave soap (among a few other things, my wife now packs) on one of our trips and to my surprise It worked up a nice slick lather. I've read recently that some men with sensitive skin use it.
For razors she seems to like the Gillette Ball Tech Old or my Slim, I can tell because she dials it down from 7 to 3 and the blade is dull and yes I bought her her own Slim and a few lady razors:001_smile. For a brush she likes her horse hair.

As far as a shave soap, my wife uses her Dove bath soap (lathers up with a brush), Surprisingly it can be used as a shave soap due to it's ? ingredients, I've used it myself when I forgot to pack my regular shave soap (among a few other things, my wife now packs) on one of our trips and to my surprise It worked up a nice slick lather. I've read recently that some men with sensitive skin use it.
For razors she seems to like the Gillette Ball Tech Old or my Slim, I can tell because she dials it down from 7 to 3 and the blade is dull and yes I bought her her own Slim and a few lady razors:001_smile. For a brush she likes her horse hair.

"Gillette Ball Tech Old", Have you got a picture of that? :confused1

We really do need more experienced ladies on the forum for these types of questions. In lieu of them, I will simply say that my girlfriend decided the Maggard V3 (chrome) offers the best shaving experience, after trying many razors. Her favorite soap is Rosa di Bossolasco by RazoRock, but it's currently sold out. Her 2nd favorite is 'Kiss my Face' shave cream, which she can use when I'm not available to make her lather for her (doesn't require lathering). She likes to layer on the aftershaves, starting with witch hazel, then rose water, then lotion. Go ahead and order another head so you have two complete razors. It's good to have a backup in case something happens. Then you won't be tempted to use carts.

Im going to suggest an oil and shaving after a bath. You will see where you are with a shaving oil much better than soap. You could also use a non lathering gel such as burts bees or elave.

Picture 60.jpg

TobyC "Gillette Ball Tech Old", Have you got a picture of that? :confused1

Found the Probak in the shower, wife likes that one too. lol

I do not have the Maggard V2 open comb, but from pictures it looks like it could be a re-branded Parker 24C/26C head. If so, it is a very mild razor.

Open comb is just another way to cut the stubble exit slots (many small in the direction of the stroke vs one big perpendicular to the stroke). It neither makes a razor more aggressive nor more mild. The aggressiveness is all about the geometry. Often open combs are more efficient with bigger growth as they clog less. However, at least 24C is not completely clog proof (because of the thin gap between the teeth and the thick base plate), so if my assumption is right V2 OC would also have a chance of clogging for bigger growth.

My wife has especially been doing the first season shaving with open combs because they clog less. Merkur 25C is a long handled open comb that is especially good at not clogging. It is Ultra-Mild, so you might want to do the last pass with another razor if you want to be completely smooth.

Top Bottom