What's new

BigPoppaSmurf's Journal of an Old-Schooler.

Sept. 21, 2019
Let me begin at the beginning. As a working man in his 30's I was caught in the trap of BigMarket Voodoo, I remember 3 blades and lube strips and gel-in-a-can were all the rage at the time. Blades didn't last that long, and I tried to maximize them by shaving every other day or 3. I was in heavy industry and no one cared what we looked like in the shop.

My real frustration came from my teenage son using my razor without me knowing. I shaved in the shower, and you think you have a blade with only 3 shaves on it, yet when you run it across your face it feels like a rusty leaf rake. I'd chastize him, he'd mumble some form of agreement, then do it again. And again, ad nauseum until I'd had enough. One day I told him we were making a run to Sam's Club and I could buy him some blades. He gave me plenty of money and a short list.

When I got home I gave him a large package of blades plus the other items. He asked for his change and I replied (truthfully) that there wasn't any, blades cost $$$, plus the other items and tax and it's gone. He was flabbergasted, absolutey shocked. I said "yeah, that's What I Been Telling You, those blades are expensive!"

A couple months later he tells me "hey Dad, you can buy these double edge blades on Amazon for cheap, look, you can get a sample pack with all these for only $X.00 !" Then he tells me "I bought a DE razor and some blades. I never realized how expensive those cartridges are, and here I got you one too," and he hands me a Merkur open-comb and a nice sample pack of blades.

It was a sort of pivotal moment in our relationship, in that he was a difficult teenager and parental admonishments went in one ear and out the other. Wow, he had actually learned something. It was a starting point in the period where he transformed from a difficult teenager to a polished young Married Man. Neither of us ever went back to BigMarketing.

Now I have grandchildren and that was 20 years ago. My journey had begun to the New Way of shaving, the Old Way my Dad used when I was a kid with his Old Spice Mug and a nice looking butterfly razor. What's new is old, and what goes around comes around.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Interesting how things around and around. My dad started with a straight razor, went to a DE and is finishing on carts. I started on carts, now on DE and would like to finish with a straight.

Top Bottom