What's new

Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔

It was the summer of 1986 when the time came to shave. Wait. Shave, what shave? It was more like removing the gentle appearance of a peach fuzz from my 13 year old face at the time 😂 😂 😂

And so I had gotten a razor that even back then was considered a piece belonging to some shaving museum. It was my grandpa's original Gillette Fatboy.

So, this was my very, very first razor and I'd been using it for several years before switching to Mach3 or whatever crap was popular back in the early '90s.

And almost 30 years have passed since... as mentioned, I thought my FatBoay was but long gone. But, as it turned out, it was tucked away at the bottom of a drawer, back at my mom's house all these years. Imagine my surprise! 😱 😱 😱

I've got it yesterday, cleaned it, polished it, oiled it and had a shave this morning, loaded with a fresh Feather blade.

Now THAT was the real surprise. OMFG! 😲 😲 😲

There are no words to describe the level of comfort and smoothness of this thing. A BBS? I don't know what to call it. Seriously! It was a BBS from another planet. It was a Jedi Master Lightsaber BBS.

I am retiring my Vector for an unforeseeable future. It was THAT great, this 60 years old "thing".

1625830992438.png

1625831025253.png

Last edited:
It was the summer of 1986 when the time came to shave. Wait. Shave, what shave? It was more like removing the gentle appearance of a peach fuzz from my 13 year old face at the time 😂 😂 😂

And so I had gotten a razor that even back then was considered a piece belonging to some shaving museum. It was my grandpa's original Gillette Fatboy.

So, this was my very, very first razor and I'd been using it for several years before switching to Mach3 or whatever crap was popular back in the early '90s.

And almost 30 years have passed since... as mentioned, I thought my FatBoay was but long gone. But, as it turned out, it was tucked away at the bottom of a drawer, back at my mom's house all these years. Imagine my surprise! 😱 😱 😱

I've got it yesterday, cleaned it, polished it, oiled it and had a shave this morning, loaded with a fresh Feather blade.

There are no words to describe the level of comfort and smoothness of this thing. A BBS? I don't know what to call it. Seriously! It was a BBS from another planet. It was a Jedi Master Lightsaber BBS.

I am retiring my Vector for an unforeseeable future. It was THAT great, this 60 years old "thing".

View attachment 1294086

View attachment 1294087
absolutely nothing better than a family heirloom razor! You combine quality with sentiment.

absolutely nothing better than a family heirloom razor! You combine quality with sentiment.
Now wait a minute!

I get the sentimental value, that's obviously highly subjective, but that's not what I'm talking about.

This thing shaves better than my $400 modern state-of-the-art razors. I am totally blown away by it, OBJECTIVELY that is. It's crazy. I'm still scratching my head in disbelief, but in a positive way.

I'm in awe.

Now wait a minute!

I get the sentimental value, that's obviously highly subjective, but that's not what I'm talking about.

This thing shaves better than my $400 modern state-of-the-art razors. I am totally blown away by it, OBJECTIVELY that is. It's crazy. I'm still scratching my head in disbelief, but in a positive way.

I'm in awe.
I assure you I wasn't demeaning the razor at all. You get the high quality shave of a fine old-fashioned gillette razor PLUS the family connection. I have two heirlooms, one is a 57 Tech and the other a 69 Super with the gold plate. I'm old enough to remember the purchase of the Super at the long gone drug store that also had a soda fountain and post office. They are both incredible razors and I hope my grandson cherishes them as much as I do.

These are the best Positive surprises for me:

RazoRock BBS: I wasn't sure if it will fit my needs or not as reviews were not easily found.
I went for it and even after using close to 10 different razors (all SS or brass, good to great quality), RazoRock BBS is going to stay in my rotation.

It is a good combination of efficiency and mild shaves, emphasize on the mild shaves.

Tabac Original: I purchased it after seeing it in many SOTD photos and reading various reviews.
It had and still has a mixed bag of reviews and at the time, it was my most expensive purchase in soap department.

I loved it from the first time i lathered and the smell (subjective) was Great!
Performance is another great thing about this soap.

View attachment 1294086

View attachment 1294087
That is a beautiful heirloom razor, you are a lucky man!

Now wait a minute!

I'm in awe.
Heck, I”m in AWE you paid $400 for a razor! 😳😆🤣🥸

(And what the heck is “CNC tech” anyway? 🤔🤓)

This is a tough one. I've been pleasantly surprised on more than a handful of occasions but here are a few of my favorite discoveries / surprises:

Shaving "gel" from the dollar store-
Not the kind that foams. It's just super slick gel, like aloe gel. A little over a dollar and the slickest shaving product I've ever encountered. Washes away clean. It's almost made of nothing.

Gillette Guard-
This is one of the best razors I've ever used. Despite my preference for DE and vintage SE razors, I find myself reaching for it most.

Borotalco-
I love this stuff. It's not the finest or the best smelling, but it's one of my all time favorite products.

Using Schick injector blades in a double edge razor-
Razors with three posts (of the exact same size) fit these blades perfectly and this is one of the highest quality shaves I've ever experienced.

Godrej soap as a brush cleaner

A Chinese AC kamisori type that combines the shapes and geometries of the Kai Captain Limited (and the Luffy model) and the Feather SS. It has scallops or gills (divots) on the broad sides like Kai and a bulbous edge like Feather SS. It's lite and it's got a great ergonomic rubber handle and a very smooth finish like powder coating. Cost me $15 shipped and it disappeared almost as fast as it sprung up on Ali. I check all the time. Wish I'd ordered two of them now.
I got what I think is the exact same shavette, branded as Mythus, from a soapmaker site here in the US. I agree with you that it is just a fantastic shaver. Surprised the heck out of me.

The lip on the edge is not as pronounced as the one on the SS; it is more like the one on the Kai Luffy. And it has just the right amount more blade exposures than both the Luffy and the SS.

This was one of my most pleasant surprises. I am actually planning on getting custom made scales for this cheap little wonder of a razor, so it can look as great as it shaves!

P
I got what I think is the exact same shavette, branded as Mythus, from a soapmaker site here in the US. I agree with you that it is just a fantastic shaver. Surprised the heck out of me.

The lip on the edge is not as pronounced as the one on the SS; it is more like the one on the Kai Luffy. And it has just the right amount more blade exposures than both the Luffy and the SS.

This was one of my most pleasant surprises. I am actually planning on getting custom made scales for this cheap little wonder of a razor, so it can look as great as it shaves!
Can I see a photo? Mine is the kamisori version (non-folding)

1- Arko Stick
2- Derby Stick
3- Arko Cream(s)
4- Derby Lavender Shaving Cream
5- Yuma
6- Ali Biyikli and Sedef Shavette
7- Brut Splash
8- Old Spice Whitewater

Ach brito cream ( scent and performance)
RR Lupo SS 95 ( efficient and smooth)
Merkur progress ( versatile, affordable and efficient)
Speick active aftershave splash ( performance, affordable and scent)

Top Bottom