What's new

Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔

For those interested:

The traditional story is that poutine originated in the 1950s in Warwick, Quebec, at a restaurant called Le Lutin qui rit. Upon being asked to add cheese curds to a customer’s fries, owner Fernand Lachance responded, “Ça va faire une maudite poutine,” or, “That’s going to make a dreadful mess.” However, there are several other origin stories. It’s safe to say, though, that poutine has its origins mid-century somewhere in rural Quebec.

And that's the polite translation, the Quebecois slang true meaning would likely get this comment deleted ;)

Last edited:
For those interested:

The traditional story is that poutine originated in the 1950s in Warwick, Quebec, at a restaurant called Le Lutin qui rit. Upon being asked to add cheese curds to a customer’s fries, owner Fernand Lachance responded, “Ça va faire une maudite poutine,” or, “That’s going to make a dreadful mess.” However, there are several other origin stories. It’s safe to say, though, that poutine has its origins mid-century somewhere in rural Quebec.

And that's the polite translation, the Quebecois slang true meaning would likely get this comment deleted ;)
Quick, you fool! 🧐

Send this off to the makers of “Canada” soap and claim your prize as the marketing genius you are! 😁🇨🇦

1- It was about 6 years ago that I first tried a Polsilver blade and it was an experience that I'll never forget!

I had already tried 50+ blades and had settled with my favorites. The Polsilver blew them all away!!

I sold my stash of around 4,000 blades and started building a stash of Polsilvers, eventually reaching around 7,000 of the suckers!

I haven't used any other blade brand on a regular basis for the last 6 years!!

2- I have been a fan of the silvertip fibre synthetic brushes for a couple of years now.

But last year I got myself the XL version from edwin jagger and boy oh boy...it became my favorite brush of all time!!

I actually ended up selling around 50 synthetic and 30 badger brushes as I just wasn't reaching for them!

Now I have 2 badger, 2 boar and 2 synthetics (23mm and XL silvertip fibre).

I had to fill out an order from the Italian Barber so I added a tuck of Derby Premium blades. I've heard so many bad things about Derby blades that I just wanted to see for myself. Well I guess I ordered the wrong Derby blades causes these are great. Smooth and efficient for a memorable shave. I just received 100 to add to my stash.

I had to fill out an order from the Italian Barber so I added a tuck of Derby Premium blades. I've heard so many bad things about Derby blades that I just wanted to see for myself. Well I guess I ordered the wrong Derby blades causes these are great. Smooth and efficient for a memorable shave. I just received 100 to add to my stash.
You mistakenly ordered the good ones! :laugh:

The Derby Extra are not as good as the Premium, just in case you want to get the "correct" ones.

This is a tough one. I've been pleasantly surprised on more than a handful of occasions but here are a few of my favorite discoveries / surprises:

Shaving "gel" from the dollar store-
Not the kind that foams. It's just super slick gel, like aloe gel. A little over a dollar and the slickest shaving product I've ever encountered. Washes away clean. It's almost made of nothing.

Gillette Guard-
This is one of the best razors I've ever used. Despite my preference for DE and vintage SE razors, I find myself reaching for it most.

Borotalco-
I love this stuff. It's not the finest or the best smelling, but it's one of my all time favorite products.

Using Schick injector blades in a double edge razor-
Razors with three posts (of the exact same size) fit these blades perfectly and this is one of the highest quality shaves I've ever experienced.

Godrej soap as a brush cleaner

A Chinese AC kamisori type that combines the shapes and geometries of the Kai Captain Limited (and the Luffy model) and the Feather SS. It has scallops or gills (divots) on the broad sides like Kai and a bulbous edge like Feather SS. It's lite and it's got a great ergonomic rubber handle and a very smooth finish like powder coating. Cost me $15 shipped and it disappeared almost as fast as it sprung up on Ali. I check all the time. Wish I'd ordered two of them now.

Last edited:
This is not a shock as I’m a well known fanboy, but to me Blackland razors are just it.

They’re like the Porsches or ESPs of the razor world. Just perfect for me.

Buddy that’s my shave guru turned me onto them, and I’m so glad he did. Once I found those 3 (Blackbird, Sabre and Vector) my razor searches were over. Sabre was the last one in last year and I haven’t bought, or even thought about buying another razor since.

This is not a shock as I’m a well known fanboy, but to me Blackland razors are just it.

Buddy that’s my shave guru turned me onto them, and I’m so glad he did. Once I found those 3 (Blackbird, Sabre and Vector) my razor searches were over. Sabre was the last one in last year and I haven’t bought, or even thought about buying another razor since.
Blackland really does make great razors. I hate to derail but I'm right there with you. Timeless makes basically one razor. Colonial makes like two. ATT makes basically one. Wolfman, one. Shane has three different types to offer and various options within them. Such good quality too.

Blackland really does make great razors. I hate to derail but I'm right there with you.

Guys, I get that “Blackland” razors are GREAT, but why?

For those of us unfamiliar with the brand, WHAT about them makes them GREAT? 🤔

Guys, I get that “Blackland” razors are GREAT, but why?

For those of us unfamiliar with the brand, WHAT about them makes them GREAT? 🤔

Super tight tolerances, 3 different form factors, do exactly what they were designed to do.

Blackbird=best DE shave I’ve ever had. Seriously. Face is like glass afterwards. I didn’t know what a BBS was until this razor, nothing else I’ve tried compares.
Sabre=best modern Gem razor. Can get 15 shaves out of a PTFE blade easy.
Vector=best SE for me that’s not a Gem. Super easy to use, nice on the face, intuitive angle.

Titanium, SS, brass. Choose. Choose wisely.

Super tight tolerances, 3 different form factors, do exactly what they were designed to do.

Blackbird=best DE shave I’ve ever had. Seriously. Face is like glass afterwards. I didn’t know what a BBS was until this razor, nothing else I’ve tried compares.
Sabre=best modern Gem razor. Can get 15 shaves out of a PTFE blade easy.
Vector=best SE for me that’s not a Gem. Super easy to use, nice on the face, intuitive angle.

Titanium, SS, brass. Choose. Choose wisely.
I'll second the Sabre. My only complaint is I'm not a fan of the handle design. Fortunately, it's not proprietary and I can substitute to my heart's content.

So, as the flip side to my “biggest regret” thread, let’s make this one about your biggest surprise, POSITIVELY speaking. I’ll start it off -

After reading/seeing positive, GLOWING reviews of it, I decided to buy a WHOLE tub of Seaforth’s “Sea Spice Lime,” scent unsmelled (?).

I. was. blown. AWAY! 😳

It was LOVE at first smell, and it’s currently my FAVORITE soap (despite having about 20+ in my canon! 😍)

Heck, I love it so much, I don’t even rinse out the excess lather from the puck! Wouldn’t want all that GOODNESS to go to waste! 😉❤‍

How ‘bout you, gents? What product (soap/cream/razor/brush, etc) impressed you so much it just 🤯?

Thx for sharing! 😎💈
I wonder if one of those reviews was mine? I felt the same way about Seaforth! Heather (just used it this morning!) which lead me to Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime. Great Soaps with great scents. I like them so much I also purchased the EDTs.

I propose adding the La Toja stick to the list: excellent container, easy to lather in just about any water, great quality and a pleasant ‘soapy’ smell, all at a very reasonable price! What’s not to like?
:clap: :clap: :clap:
La Toja was the first shave stick that I ever used and it is still my favorite. My other shave sticks include Tabac, Arko and Speick. La Toja is just so easy to lather and it makes a great quality lather. To quote @Marco , "La Toja is the king of soaps and the soap of kings".

I wonder if one of those reviews was mine? I felt the same way about Seaforth! Heather (just used it this morning!) which lead me to Seaforth! Sea Spice Lime. Great Soaps with great scents. I like them so much I also purchased the EDTs.
My man! 😎

Buying up the EDTs! Me, too, bro! 😉

Can I get some (virtually!) up top? ✋🏼👊🏼😊

Coulda been one of your reviews that I read.

Also, dude named “CDB” who does some BOSS clips on YouTube raved about it as well, so…

My ONLY quibble with the EDT is that it doesn’t last as long as I'd like, typical of a spring/summer citrus scent, I’m finding out. 😩

Otherwise, it’s a PHENOMENAL scent, like a CLEAN citrus, but without the INDUSTRIAL cleaner aspect to it (not that I mind that sometimes! 😉)

La Toja was the first shave stick that I ever used and it is still my favorite. My other shave sticks include Tabac, Arko and Speick. La Toja is just so easy to lather and it makes a great quality lather. To quote @Marco , "La Toja is the king of soaps and the soap of kings".
You again! 😆

So, I got a stick of “Arko,” after reading all the hubbub about it, plus getting it for only $3 bucks at a local drugstore. 😉

So, what’s the deal with this thing?

You just rub it across your face like a DEODORANT, and “face lather” with a brush? 🤔💈

You again! 😆

So, I got a stick of “Arko,” after reading all the hubbub about it, plus getting it for only $3 bucks at a local drugstore. 😉

So, what’s the deal with this thing?

You just rub it across your face like a DEODORANT, and “face lather” with a brush? 🤔💈
Pretty much. Wet your face well and wet the end of the stick. Rub it into your face really well. You want to see soap on your face. Then get your brush nice and wet and begin to lather. Painting strokes, swirls what ever you like. As you go you will want to add water so from time to time so add some drops of water to the tip of your brush (you could dip it into water but you might lose some of the lather you are trying to build) and work it in until the lather is the consistency that you prefer. By that time your brush should have enough lather built up into it for it to be good for another two passes. With Arko I use a hybrid method because I am a fiend for warm lather. I have mashed up some Arko sticks into an old soap container so I use a stick on my face AND I use a puck to load my brush. I then build a wet lather in my shave scuttle that I use to wet my brush and work the soap on my face. My brush sits in the scuttle in the wet lather keeping warm until I need it again.

Top Bottom