What's new

Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔

I have a 2 for 1, (both new to me). I took a chance on a (relatively) inexpensive badger brush, from Amazon, and it's amazing. The second one...I bought a 24mm boar knot, from The Golden Nib, to put in an old handle...it's still new, and performing out of it's league already, the boar is wet in the pic, I used it today, and very much enjoyed it, no breakin needed.

IMG_1207.JPG

Zenith,” on the othe hand, is not as well known, but another one of those “little engine that could” types, in that it seems to constantly perform ABOVE expectations, from what I’ve read/observed! 😉😁

I wouldn't call Zenith boars "little engines that could", along with Mondial they are known for being the more premium Italian boar brush makers so expectations are high to start with (both of mine still surprised me at how good they were though). I think that's also the reason they don't seem to be as popular as Omega and Semogue as a lot of shavers (especially your everyday non-hobby shaver) buy boar brushes as they are a lot more budget friendly than badger. With Omega and Semogue having a lot more budget friendly options to choose from Mondial and Zeniths premium options get overlooked.

I suppose I better add Mondial boars to the list as well, they currently only make one knot with different handles, but it is a fantastic boar.

Also Cyril R Salter soap, they same formula as DR Harris but half the price!

I wouldn't call Zenith boars "little engines that could", along with Mondial they are known for being the more premium Italian boar brush makers so expectations are high to start with (both of mine still surprised me at how good they were though). I think that's also the reason they don't seem to be as popular as Omega and Semogue as a lot of shavers (especially your everyday non-hobby shaver) buy boar brushes as they are a lot more budget friendly than badger. With Omega and Semogue having a lot more budget friendly options to choose from Mondial and Zeniths premium options get overlooked.

I suppose I better add Mondial boars to the list as well, they currently only make one knot with different handles, but it is a fantastic boar.

Also Cyril R Salter soap, they same formula as DR Harris but half the price!
My apologies, my good man, for my rather PROVINCIAL opinions, speaking as an American, of course. 🧐

I’ll have to do further RESEARCH on both brands, as they are rather new to me. 🤓

(BTW, ironically, just a bought a bowl of Salter’s “Lime” shaving cream. Had a tub years ago that just DRIED up on me. Wanted to see if it was a FLUKE! 😳🤞🏼)

Last edited:
Cremo. Heard a lot of negatives about it but man was that stuff slick! Great shaving cream.
First cream/croap I ever used, I mean first ever, when I began DE shaving was Cremo Reserve Blend with a Cremo horsehair brush my son got me for Christmas. To this day I really like the scent, and it always performs well for me. I have a tub vacuum packed in the fridge at the moment, waiting until I 3017 a couple more of my current tubs before I break it out.

I know this probably wasn’t the intent of your question, but a HUGE surprise has been finding an extraordinarily generous and supportive community that maintains this while self moderated. I have learned so much by participating, listening, asking questions, and reading thoughts from other members. Second, it’s been another HUGE surprise how many different options are available to the wet shaver these days. From soaps to strops, the world of wet shaving is nearly limitless in scope. For both reasons, we are living in a golden age for us old fogies and I couldn’t feel more lucky or grateful.

La Toja Shave Stick 🏆

It's hard to pinpoint why I enjoy using La Toja so much.. I usually rotate MdC-SV-PAA(CK6)-Haslinger and I find myself reaching for the La Toja shave stick very frequently. Will it replace my other soaps? No. But as a simple/neutral option, I'm pretty sure nothing can beat it. Especially since I can get it for just over 1 EUR.. time to stock up! (YMMV)

La Toja Shave Stick 🏆

It's hard to pinpoint why I enjoy using La Toja so much.. I usually rotate MdC-SV-PAA(CK6)-Haslinger and I find myself reaching for the La Toja shave stick very frequently. Will it replace my other soaps? No. But as a simple/neutral option, I'm pretty sure nothing can beat it. Especially since I can get it for just over 1 EUR.. time to stock up! (YMMV)
Thanks for sharing, bro! 🙂

This is another PERFECT example of what I had in mind when I started this thread - despite using, and having experience with, some high end quality soaps, you admit that you sometimes prefer the common, pedestrian, and definitely less expensive “La Toja.”

That’s just…
2E8978E0-7346-4A3D-AB31-EE7A4EB0A6A9.gif
😳😆✌🏼

+1 To the Canada 🇨🇦 soap , I am pretty sure that @ouchyfoot was the first person to bring this soap to the attention of everyone on B&B, not a single person that I know of has been disappointed with this soap, it is wonderful and lasts forever.

Doug
Yup, Canada soap is a definite winner. And yes, @ouchyfoot was who turned me onto it, with a bit of nervousness that I'd like it too. I do very much, and it has been that wonderous of things- a truly positive surprise!!! Much thanks again for finding this gem of a soap for us!

Ach. Brito Mogno is a soap that for me punches well above its price point, perhaps not quite as much as La Toja, but quite enjoyable still. @Marco alerted folks to this one, at least I believe so.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Yup, Canada soap is a definite winner. And yes, @ouchyfoot was who turned me onto it, with a bit of nervousness that I'd like it too. I do very much, and it has been that wonderous of things- a truly positive surprise!!! Much thanks again for finding this gem of a soap for us!

Ach. Brito Mogno is a soap that for me punches well above its price point, perhaps not quite as much as La Toja, but quite enjoyable still. @Marco alerted folks to this one, at least I believe so.

You are correct, Sir. :yesnod:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Ah, but the question THEN becomes… WHAT part of the “poutine” to incorporate into the soap - the smell of rancid brown gravy, that of moldy cheese, or the smell of stale french fries? 🤔😆🇨🇦
All three, of course. Poutine without cheese curds is just wet fries. Wet shaving already sounds wet enough. Imagine wet shaving with wet fries!

Top Bottom