What's new

bigger vs. better

Hi Guys,

My dad and I are planning on buying new brushes next month. We're going back and forth on a couple.

We have some differences in our needs, but it would be cool to have the same brush. He uses soaps all the time. I use cream at home and soaps when I travel. I have a goatee part of the year, so a smaller brush seems like a good idea. Both of us are currently using old small 20mm badger brushes.

So here's the battle: SR-108 vs. SR-204, 25mm Pure vs. 20mm Super, hair height 58mm vs 50mm

...of course the C&E best keeps creeping into my dreams...

Any thoughts?

Hey Birch,
You dont know what youre getting in for here :w00t:
I can give you my 2c tho.
I have the C&E Best Badger and I really love it. It is big enough for me and it is a high quality item. Not as lux as Super Badger, I imagine, but it does a great job.
I would recommend getting one of these and a super badger brush of your choice. That way you can swap and compare with your Dad.
Good luck !!

birchhook said:
So here's the battle: SR-108 vs. SR-204, 25mm Pure vs. 20mm Super, hair height 58mm vs 50mm

...of course the C&E best keeps creeping into my dreams...

Any thoughts?

Just one- resistance is futile!(you will end up buying both/like we all do) You will be assimilated!

Marty

Hey! I'll have you know thus far I have only purchased two brushes. A vulfix #406 for at home use and a C&E ebony travel for on the road. I may be giving into SCAD and SRAD and the other ADs but I will stand firm on SBAD! Honest! I will! Just please don't tempt me!

htownmmm said:
Just one- resistance is futile!(you will end up buying both/like we all do) You will be assimilated!

Yeah, it is like I know in the back of my mind that I will end up owning both a SR and the C&E - SWMBO will not be pleased. I'll just have to show her how bad it could be!

on the Brush Conundrum thread Scotto wrote
I have only owned supers and silvertips from SR, so I can't comment on the others. First of all, in terms of lather making ability, they are both great; the difference is really in feel. The supers are very nice, soft brushes, which are a bit on the floppy side. The SR-208 is the emblematic brush in this series, IMO, and is one of the best values out there. The silvertips are packed MUCH more densely than the supers, and have a lightbulb shape compared to the flatter-top supers. I personally like this shape a lot. The silvertips are also more luxurious in terms of softness, and have more resilience than the supers. They aren't scrubby like a Simpsons, but feel awesome on the face. They also have that "face-sucking" quality that I love as you work the lather into your beard. It is hard to describe, but the feel of the silvertips is unmatched in my opinion. I get an endorphin rush when I use them they feel so darn nice.

I don't think I want even "a bit floppy", but the short length of the bristles on the SR-204 should prevent that from being the case.

Someone on here must own both a pure and super SR brush.

Hey birch, if your wife says it again, show her this pic of one woman's vintage brush collection:
full

(found on http://www.sharonfiffer.com/readers-stuff.html )

Here's a test: how many can you identify?
~Tim :biggrin:

birchhook said:
"Don't you already have one of those?" - my wife

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. P-
Wow! That's a lot of brushes, and they all look to be high quality ones... I have 2:blink: ... a pure badger and a super badger: total combined cost, about $110 (although the super badger was a gift, so I've really only spent $45, or so, on shave brushes). I like trying a lot of different creams, I have several (6)different straight razors, but I just haven't been bitten by the SBAD bug.

You've got quite a collection. I hope they're insured, as I imagine that's somewhere north of $10,000 USD worth of brushes... a very nice looking collection indeed. Do you use them all, or are some of them just to look at:biggrin:

Drew

Wow drP that silver brush in the upper right corner is beautiful looking! I hardly notice the other hundred because of it.....

Drew,

You can see how far SBAD can drive you....:eek: :biggrin: and it's not even half my total collection of (in a few days...) 85 brushes....

But it's my passion, as part of Classic WetShaving; i just love to see them, feel them, and...indeed use them; but, mind you, although most brushes are used once, i only use 4 or 5 of them daily; these are the Savile Rows and Shavemacs (at least, at the moment, who knows what the future brings:smile: ). When i took the picture, i didn't have SR's yet.....

Why Savile Rows/Shavemacs? Simply because they still are extremely well built and performing shaving brushes. The lofts are manufactured in my favourite lightbulbshape, the bristles are flexible and soft, yet resilient, and they perform outstanding with soaps as well as creams.

If i would lost all my beauties ( BTW: they are NOT insured separately...:001_unsur ) and would get broke then i would buy a SR or SM.

Men who are new to CWS and who ask me the same question, which is often posed here on B&B: "which brush should i buy if i'm willing to pay a maximum of let's say $150/ EURO 100,- " i advise them to purchase a SR or SM; unless they want very specific characteristics in a brush; but as daily workhorses, you can't beat the SR/SM brushes.

Peter

jduffy said:
Wow drP that silver brush in the upper right corner is beautiful looking! I hardly notice the other hundred because of it.....

It's a Plisson HMW with a handle in steel; this brush is the same one that should have been used by Napoleon; i traded it with an English member of SMF to a Simpsons Polo #12 in so called "straight" (i.e not "barbed") super badger; but of course i have another one with an even bigger handle but it's not in HMW but in European grey badger.

Peter

Peter fail to mention anything about his collection of over 150 Schipperke's:w00t:

proxy.php

Peter - "The Ultimate Eclectic Collector"

I'm glad that I don't have his affliction- not:biggrin:

Dr. P- Do you have a library wheeled-ladder for access or do you just jump up and try to grab a brush? :biggrin:

DrP

That's very impressive. I really like the metal handled brush too. If I buy a second brush it will probably have a silver/chrome/pewter handle. I've even thought of buying the Omega/Proraso brush and putting a Blankity-blank head in it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my choice of bigger vs. better?

A word of caution for those of you contemplating a metal handled brush, HOT!
If you are a hot water brush soaker in the early AM, the handle becomes as hot as the water..

Ron, that reminds me of popping a pizza into the microwave. I was reading the instructions on the side of the box. At the end it says: "Caution: Pizza will be hot!" Duuuuuhhh! I certainly hope so!
Commercials/boxes of sleeping pills warn that a possible side effect of taking these pills is drowsiness! Why else would you take them?

Sounds like a job for ObviousMan!
Go here for "ObviousMan: The Movie"

~Tim :wink:

AceHarddrive said:
Ron, that reminds me of popping a pizza into the microwave. I was reading the instructions on the side of the box. At the end it says: "Caution: Pizza will be hot!" Duuuuuhhh! I certainly hope so!
Commercials/boxes of sleeping pills warn that a possible side effect of taking these pills is drowsiness! Why else would you take them?

Sounds like a job for ObviousMan!
Go here for "ObviousMan: The Movie"

~Tim :wink:

You can thank Stella Liebeck for that...she is the one who sued McDonalds for spilling Hot Coffee on herself...

Top Bottom