What's new

BigD's Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap Review

Continuing my shave soap and cream reviews;

This is my review of Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap. Products used during the shower and shave were as follows;
  1. Duru Olive Bath Soap
  2. Stirling Soaps Unscented Prshave Face Wash
  3. Dollar Shave Club Shampoo
  4. Dollar Shave Club Conditioner
  5. Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
  6. Van der Hagen Shave Bowl
  7. Fine Lather Bowl
  8. Van der Hagen Boar Shave Brush
  9. Rockwell 6S (R6 - R3)
  10. Derby Premium (4th use)
  11. Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block
  12. AAFES Brisk Aftershave
  13. Old Spice Endurance Deodorant
  14. Babaria Royale EdC
The following process is what I used for my SOTD with the Van der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap. This is also the same process I use with most of my shave soaps;
  1. While I brushed my teeth I made sure the soap bowl ran under the hot water
  2. I filled the soap bowl and the lathering bowl with hot water
  3. Rinsed brush with hot water
  4. Placed brush in lathering bowl
  5. Took shower
  6. Dumped water from both soap bowl and lathering bowl area
  7. Took out brush and rung out excess water
  8. Loaded damp brush from puck creating a cream
  9. Started working the cream in the lathering bowl
  10. Added hot water via finger tips until desired lather is produced
  11. Lather my face
  12. Cleaned my glasses with finger tip of lather
  13. Waited another minute to let the lather work its magic
  14. Pass I WTG (R6)
  15. Lather face
  16. Pass II XTG (R5)
  17. Lather face
  18. Pass III Chin to Ear (R4)
  19. Check for pick ups (None Needed)
  20. Scrub face with some of the leftover lather (Kevy Shaves style)
  21. Lather Underarms
  22. Shaved Underarms (R3)
  23. Rinse face
  24. Rinse Underarms
  25. Apply alum to Face
  26. Rinse Alum Block
  27. Apply Alum to Underarms
  28. Rinse Alum Block
  29. Clean equipment
  30. Rinse off Alum from face
  31. Rinse off Alum from Underarms
  32. Dry off
  33. Apply Aftershave
  34. Apply Deodorant
  35. Apply EdC
Now for my thoughts. Just a heads up. Due to my process of bowl lathering unless the soap/cream is just horrible I always get a great lather. It takes longer, but the control of how much water is used really helps dial in the lather just right. Some soaps/creams take longer than others. So it is hard for me to find a soap/cream I dislike.
  1. Time to Lather
    1. Extremely quick
      1. You can really control the thickness of the lather via amount of water you add.
        1. If you want a real thick lather, don’t add much water
        2. If you add a good amount of water the lather is still thick but less so
  2. Quality of Lather
    1. As thick or creamy as you want
  3. Cushion
    1. Fantastic
  4. Slickness
    1. Whilst lathered
      1. Like snot on ice
    2. After Pass (Bare Wet Skin)
      1. It’s there
        1. Good slickness
        2. Great slickness once the area is moistened again
        3. You could get away with just wetting the skin for pick ups
  5. Scent
    1. It’s a very neutral
    2. Any aftershave or cologne will pair with this soap
  6. Rinse
    1. Rinsing Clean takes a bit of time
  7. Post Shave
    1. Fantastic
      1. Still need some post-shave attention
I’ve used this soap twice. Once just to face lather before bed to wash my face, and the next to do an actual shave. For a cheap soap it’s pretty darn good. The soap itself is made in the USA. I’m shocked there isn’t more talk of this soap on the boards. It’s a really good soap. It provides plenty of slickness and plenty of cushion. There’s really no scent to speak of, maybe just a hint of Shea Butter.

Post shave you can use any aftershave/cologne. So, if you have a one off scent that doesn’t pair well with your other soaps, this is a good soap to have.

I have bought some more of these soaps, but not a lot. I think they are good to have in your shaveden for when you need a good non-scented soap to pair with an odd fragrance you have in your cabinet.

I do recommend this soap for beginners due to the ease of lathering and being able to experiment with how much water you can use to get different consistencies of lather.

VDH Deluxe was my go to soap for the past 30 years before I discovered there was more beyond the drugstore shelves. It was branded Surrey then. I still like this soap, but unfortunately VDH has discontinued this soap and the glycerine soap with oat extract. They are only manufacturing the Luxury soap beginning this year, which is also a fine, inexpensive soap.

VDH Deluxe was my go to soap for the past 30 years before I discovered there was more beyond the drugstore shelves. It was branded Surrey then. I still like this soap, but unfortunately VDH has discontinued this soap and the glycerine soap with oat extract. They are only manufacturing the Luxury soap beginning this year, which is also a fine, inexpensive soap.

I'm curious to know where the discontinuation of the deluxe product is verified, did you hear it from the company? Universal's website still lists at as an available in-stock product (even though VDH's own site doesn't list it now), it's available through Walgreens and my local grocery store is refilling its stock of Deluxe in new-design packaging.

That aside, I usually use the luxury because it's easier to find, but generally find that both the deluxe and luxury are at least equal to other melt-and-pour soaps at higher prices in terms of lather quality. Sometimes I think that hobbyists like to dismiss them because they are common products sold through the big chains at low prices, though I certainly understand that many do prefer tallow soaps and this doesn't really compete directly with that, and some like different scents from their soaps. I don't care about that because I get my scent from cologne or aftershave, a soap scent doesn't stick that long. But VDH soaps have treated me well enough over the years that I wouldn't pay full price for any other melt & pours.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I use and like the VDH Deluxe as well. There are many tallow and non tallow soaps I find to be excellent. I don't think tallow in and of itself has any magic.

Shopmyexchange.com had a sale on this soap and also the bowl/soap/brush set. That's where I picked mine up along with a few other pucks. I do have a couple of the luxury pucks hanging around, but I have yet to try them. I have too many soaps and creams open right now. I really need to start 3017 some soaps. I've only been able to 3017 two pucks of Modern Williams and I'm about to 3017 a stick of Arko.

I'm curious to know where the discontinuation of the deluxe product is verified, did you hear it from the company? Universal's website still lists at as an available in-stock product (even though VDH's own site doesn't list it now), it's available through Walgreens and my local grocery store is refilling its stock of Deluxe in new-design packaging.

That aside, I usually use the luxury because it's easier to find, but generally find that both the deluxe and luxury are at least equal to other melt-and-pour soaps at higher prices in terms of lather quality. Sometimes I think that hobbyists like to dismiss them because they are common products sold through the big chains at low prices, though I certainly understand that many do prefer tallow soaps and this doesn't really compete directly with that, and some like different scents from their soaps. I don't care about that because I get my scent from cologne or aftershave, a soap scent doesn't stick that long. But VDH soaps have treated me well enough over the years that I wouldn't pay full price for any other melt & pours.
I just assumed it was discontinued by its disappearance from their website. I do hope I am wrong. It is nice to have locally available choices at affordable prices. This is especially true for the newbie who is unlikely to even think about it until he sees it on the shelf in front of him.

Thanks for a nice review.! VDH Deluxe is in my rotation. The Luxury soap is good but, it uses up faster than the Deluxe soap.

Here in Arizona this VDH soap was available at the local grocery store, the major drug store chain and Walmart. All of a sudden all three discontinued this soap and I was forced to go looking for anyone who still had a supply which lead me to the only Bed Bath and Beyond in the state that carries toiletries. Upon discovering six remaining soaps at $3.99 each I acquired all six. I have since discovered the Razor Emporium in Phoenix and I wonder if I will ever get to the six bars as I now gone overboard on the Emporium's selection of soaps and after shaves. I mean really overboard!

I can't believe that all of this was right here in town. It is a luxury to be able to go in to a location and see and smell all of these wonderful products and acquire them on the spot. I am spoiled now!

Here in Arizona this VDH soap was available at the local grocery store, the major drug store chain and Walmart. All of a sudden all three discontinued this soap and I was forced to go looking for anyone who still had a supply which lead me to the only Bed Bath and Beyond in the state that carries toiletries. Upon discovering six remaining soaps at $3.99 each I acquired all six. I have since discovered the Razor Emporium in Phoenix and I wonder if I will ever get to the six bars as I now gone overboard on the Emporium's selection of soaps and after shaves. I mean really overboard!

I can't believe that all of this was right here in town. It is a luxury to be able to go in to a location and see and smell all of these wonderful products and acquire them on the spot. I am spoiled now!
I'm jealous. My life style forces me to buy site unseen.

My wife found three pucks for me at a yard sale. While I had used the luxury and glycerin soaps, I had never used the deluxe. Well this morning, I took one out for a test drive and was pleasantly surprised and i would agree with BigDs review.

Good soap at a great price.

I really think the problem I have with lathering VDH's soaps is that I treat it like Williams or other tallow soaps and use too much water. I'm used to Williams, I guess. Also, this soap seems to take a while to load up and doesn't "explode" like Williams.

The scent is similar to Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel. There's faint oakmoss and soft flowers.

I really think the problem I have with lathering VDH's soaps is that I treat it like Williams or other tallow soaps and use too much water. I'm used to Williams, I guess.

The scent is similar to Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel. There's faint oakmoss and soft flowers.
I find VdH and Colonel Conk lather just about the same. Makes sense since they are both glycerin based soaps.

I find VdH and Colonel Conk lather just about the same. Makes sense since they are both glycerin based soaps.

Yeah, they both are detergent based soap bars that are melt-and-pour, which is really its own thing. They remind me of shaving gel in terms of lather.

Top Bottom