What's new

BigD's Occam's DE Razor Review

My review of the Occam’s DE Razor Review

I wasn’t really planning on buying this razor, but I had read somewhere that it was on sale and a pretty good razor for the price. Since I was a first time buyer from Classic Shaving I also received another discount on top of the already highly discounted razor. I went ahead and bought the whole kit which included one handle, two top caps, and three base plates.

Pros;
High quality build out of 316L SS
Easy to clean and maintain
Great knurling for a sure grip
Efficient without being dangerously aggressive
Great price for what you get (My opinion)
Fantastic look

Cons;
Though it is marketed for beginners with the ridged cap it would be good as a second razor after a Muhle R89
Made in China
Injection molded (Some reports of defective products)
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

First Shave
Used Regular Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (1)
Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
Caddie Corner to the grain SB (From chin to upper ear)
No pick ups needed
No nicks or weepers

I did not know what to expect with this razor except that the aggression would start off higher with the Occam’s DE OC Plate and go down in steps to its SB Plate design. It was interesting that I could not feel a difference between any of the plates. It was still a good shave, but I was still looking for differences of aggression that may not be there.
[IMG]

Second Shave
Used Ridged Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (2)
Vintage Colgate Mug Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
No pick ups needed
No nicks or weepers

Fantastic shave. Again, I really couldn’t tell the differences of aggression between the plates. The ridged top cap really did nothing to help with my technique. Maybe because I have been doing this awhile that the ridge was something I wouldn’t really notice, or no one would really notice. Still, the razor gives great shaves without issue.
[IMG]

Third Shave
Used Regular Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (3)
Cella Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
No pick ups needed
No nicks or weepers

Just another superb, close shave.
[IMG]

Fourth Shave
Used Regular Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (4)
Soap
Stirling Spice Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
No pick ups needed
No nicks or weepers

Again, a great close shave.
[IMG]

Fifth Shave
Used Regular Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (5)
Stirling Christmas Eve Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
No nicks or weepers
No pick ups needed

Fantastic shave. Stirling makes a great product. No nicks or weepers. I am starting to feel the razor dulling a bit, so the next shave will be an Ender Shave for Chirstmas.
[IMG]

Sixth Shave
Used Regular Top Cap
Blade used
Dorco Prime STP-301 (6)
Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SOC
Underarms SB
No pick ups needed
No nicks or weepers

This was an Ender shave. Just a straight up nice shave.
[IMG]

My thoughts on the Occam’s DE Razor;

I had no expectations with this razor, accept one. I expected to feel a difference between the plates. There really wasn’t any. As I also had suspected, the ridged cap didn’t do anything for me. If I were a beginner this might have been something I would have needed. I don’t know.
With that stated I don’t think this is a beginner’s razor. There are milder razors out there that would suit the needs for a beginner. In my opinion this razor is a step up from a beginner’s razor. Something someone who has a few months in may want to consider before thinking of something more advanced.

It’s a beautiful razor that has been well packaged. For the price it was hard to beat. For the whole kit minus a pack of blades of my choice I paid under $60 shipped.

Performance wise, it is more than adequate. Most shaves you can stop after the second pass without issue. It works well under my nose.

I will be keeping this razor more for collection purposes. Will I bring it out and use it again? Once in awhile, but nowhere near a daily driver level usage. I’m happy with my purchase.

Great review!! Congratulations on the new razor (and thanks for the photos)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

To me it is very interesting that you feel NO difference between the plates.

I found the scalloped plate to be mild, similar to an 89. The other two plates felt the same, between the GC .84 and the Jaws/OC. At $23 for a head, I ordered a few for Christmas presents as I already have a lot of unused handles. As a bonus I now have a SS cap that will work with my 41 base plate.

Wow, I thought the scalloped and full open Combe about the same and on the mild side . I thought I preferred milder razors, still learning. I do think this is a very good razor and for the price is great. Haven't tried the ridge cap yet. Someone said the handle was a Razorock but haven't checked. I did notice the finish looks like they maybe hand buffed the plates from the mim molding. Thanks for a great review.

Great review!! Congratulations on the new razor (and thanks for the photos)! :thumbup: :thumbup:

To me it is very interesting that you feel NO difference between the plates.
Odd, ain't it? Maybe I got hit in the face too much when I was kickboxing in my younger years. I was looking hard for the differences.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great review again @BigD as mentioned by others, interesting that you found no difference in the plates. Nice looking razor and great photos as usual.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Great review. I find the plates to be different as well. But I used them for one shave each plate, rather using all plates in the same shave. I find the semi open comb with the smaller holes to be the most aggressive and a little harsh. The Hybrid open comb with the larger holes was a lot smoother, but no less efficient. And the solid bar plate was basically a stainless DE89... mild and smooth... a great shaver. I am also pleased with this razor set.

I'm glad some of you are finding differences in the plates. I don't know if it's a curse or blessing I don't feel the difference.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Top Bottom