What's new

BigD's Derby and Arko Shave Stick New Technique

I should mention that @BigD 's method of rubbing the stick on a grooved bowl sounds like a winner but I don't have a grooved bowl to try that out with...yet :)

I never was one that liked a stick lathering but I do love Arko. Personally I prefer to press Arko into my bowl and use it like I do hard soaps. I put all soaps into a ceramic bowl and work my lather right off the soap adding water as needed, I get all the soap I need and get the right density that I like every time. Even soap that come in plastic or wood containers/bowls, they all get pressed into a ceramic bowl.

I did a few times during Arko August on weekends when I wasn't in such a hurry.

The results were better than expected. It's my favorite way to lather Arko if I have the time. To be honest if this soap had been lathered this way. Without me knowing it was Arko. I would have never guessed it was Arko.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I did a few times during Arko August on weekends when I wasn't in such a hurry.

The results were better than expected. It's my favorite way to lather Arko if I have the time. To be honest if this soap had been lathered this way. Without me knowing it was Arko. I would have never guessed it was Arko.
Except the lovely scent gives it away!

Except the lovely scent gives it away!

Maybe it's because my Arko stick is over 5 years old or I'm becoming nose blind?

But after my Arko sticks are lathered up. I can't smell much scent. Which works great with the aftershave and cologne that follows.

I can definitely smell the Derby soap scent when I lather it up though. But after I apply the brush to my face. I lightly notice it.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Maybe it's because my Arko stick is over 5 years old or I'm becoming nose blind?

But after my Arko sticks are lathered up. I can't smell much scent. Which works great with the aftershave and cologne that follows.

I can definitely smell the Derby soap scent when I lather it up though. But after I apply the brush to my face. I lightly notice it.
I'm a nurse, so I can't diagnose, but your nose could be blind, lol!

But I agree, the smell does not overpower on the face, and rinses away completely. I've never had it compete with and aftershave scents either.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I disagree. I think the best way to make lather is using a stick by rubbing it on your face. Works great and beats all the rest.

And I disagree with you ;) Face lathering works for sure, but unless I use a soft stick like, Arko, Derby, GZD, I don't like the feel of harder sticks rubbing on my face. I also notice that I dislike the rubbing on the face more if I shave daily, as I usually do. If I shave every other day then the whiskers are longer and load the soap from the stick better than when doing it daily. It's definitely personal preference.

My manner is to load the brush off the soap and then take the pasty lather to my face and face lather with that. For me sticks are mostly for travel.

Why even buy a shave stick is you aren't going to use it like a stick?
I think a shave stick applied to the face is the best way to make lather. It rocks.

I think a shave stick applied to the face is the best way to make lather. It rocks.
Price per gram of the stick for Derby and Arko is a lot less than the price per gram for the pucks.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Some soaps that people like only come in a stick if they want a hard soap and not a cream. La Toja and Speick are two that come to mind.

FarmerTan

Nope, I still look like a bum. Never shaved! Rough day, so the Lazyboy became my friend last night, lol.

Top Bottom