What's new

BigD's Blackland Blackbird Review

My review of the @Blackland Razors Blackbird Razor Review

I’ve coveted this razor for over a year now. I kept talking myself out of purchasing this due to having the Rockwell 6S. I sat down and looked at the grander scheme of things in my life and figured it was worth the splurge to buy this. I am glad I did. I learned from my previous purchase of the Blackland Sabre to go ahead and get both base plates knowing if I just purchased one I’d eventually purchase the other. I had talked to Mr. Shane Swartzlander about the purchase. He mentioned that the Blackbird is extremely efficient, but not R41 efficient. I was mentally prepared for an R41 junior aggressive shave.
Pros;
High quality build out of 303 SS
Made in the USA
Solid exacting machining
Easy to clean and maintain
Great knurling for a sure grip
Efficient without being dangerously aggressive
Great price for what you get (My opinion)
Fantastic look
Cons;
Not for beginners
Waiting for your razor to be made and shipped (Proof of the quality of the razor)
First Shave
Blade used
Derby Premium (1)
Soap
Arko Puck Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
Caddie Corner to the grain SB (From chin to upper ear)
No pick ups needed
Two nicks on the chin taken care of by an alum block

I was a bit nervous with this razor. Every review I had seen and read stated that this baby bites, and bites hard. Even Mr. Swartzlander mentioned that this was a more efficient design than the Sabre I had purchased earlier in 2019. He did mention that it was not as efficient as the R41. I’ve used the R41 and still have it. I haven’t been bitten by it, but I know you can really feel the blade with it. I rarely do a three pass shave with the R41, but use the R89 for my third pass when utilizing the beast.

My worries were unwarranted. Yes, it is an efficient razor, but it is not as scary as I was imagining. I went with the OC for my WTG pass. The XTG and Caddie Corner Pass were performed with the SB. I received two weepers under my chin. I am pretty sure they were two bug bites that are now smoothed down. So far I am more than happy with my purchase.
[IMG]

Second Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (2)
Soap
Stirling Soaps Agar
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
No pick ups needed
No nicks, cuts, or irritation

Great shave. The razor is very efficient. I’m loving every stroke of this razor.

Third Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (3)
Soap
Vintage Burma Shave
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain OC
No pick ups needed

Due to time and lateness of shaving for the day I only performed a two pass shave with the OC plate. DFS without any muss or fuss. Very nice shave.
[IMG]

Fourth Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (4)
Soap
Captain’s Choice North Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
No pick ups needed
One nick on my lip. My fault. In a hurry.

I was in hurry for this shave, and my lip was bitten. Nothing Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block couldn’t take care of, but still embarrassing. Other than that, a nice close shave. My next will be my Ender shave with the Derby Premium.
[IMG]

Fifth Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (5)
Soap
Modern Williams Mug Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain OC
Underarms SB
No pick ups needed
Some weepers, nothing Gentleman Jon couldn’t handle

This was an ender shave. The Modern Williams was worked into a thick, slick, wonderful lather. I just couldn’t get enough. If the shave wasn’t already super smooth I would have gone for more passes. The razor was able to take care of my sensitive area (armpits) without issue.
[IMG]

My thoughts on the Blackbird;

As I had stated before I have coveted this wonderful razor for over a year now. Now that I have it I now wonder why I waited this long to make the dive. Such an enjoyable shave.

Though this razor isn’t R41 level of aggression, it will still bite if you aren’t paying attention. Is this better than my Rockwell 6S Jet Black? No, but very close. It’s now ranked up there with my Blackland Sabre. In other words I’ll fight you to the death if you try to take it. This is definitely in the rotation.

Great review and congrats on your acquisition!

The more I read about people’s experience with the BB, the more it sounds like this one warrants serious consideration for my den.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice for just buying both plates - probably saved you money on shipping :).

Are you happy with your choice of finish, @BigD?

Good choice for just buying both plates - probably saved you money on shipping :).

Are you happy with your choice of finish, @BigD?

I am very happy with my choice. Not that the other finishes aren't bad looking, I just like the more subdued finish.

I’ve coveted this razor for over a year now. I kept talking myself out of purchasing this due to having the Rockwell 6S. I sat down and looked at the grander scheme of things in my life and figured it was worth the splurge to buy this. I am glad I did. I learned from my previous purchase of the Blackland Sabre to go ahead and get both base plates knowing if I just purchased one I’d eventually purchase the other. I had talked to Mr. Shane Swartzlander about the purchase. He mentioned that the Blackbird is extremely efficient, but not R41 efficient. I was mentally prepared for an R41 junior aggressive shave.
Pros;
High quality build out of 303 SS
Made in the USA
Solid exacting machining
Easy to clean and maintain
Great knurling for a sure grip
Efficient without being dangerously aggressive
Great price for what you get (My opinion)
Fantastic look
Cons;
Not for beginners
Waiting for your razor to be made and shipped (Proof of the quality of the razor)
First Shave
Blade used
Derby Premium (1)
Soap
Arko Puck Shave Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
No pick ups needed
Two nicks on the chin taken care of by an alum block

I was a bit nervous with this razor. Every review I had seen and read stated that this baby bites, and bites hard. Even Mr. Swartzlander mentioned that this was a more efficient design than the Sabre I had purchased earlier in 2019. He did mention that it was not as efficient as the R41. I’ve used the R41 and still have it. I haven’t been bitten by it, but I know you can really feel the blade with it. I rarely do a three pass shave with the R41, but use the R89 for my third pass when utilizing the beast.

My worries were unwarranted. Yes, it is an efficient razor, but it is not as scary as I was imagining. I went with the OC for my WTG pass. The XTG and Caddie Corner Pass were performed with the SB. I received two weepers under my chin. I am pretty sure they were two bug bites that are now smoothed down. So far I am more than happy with my purchase.
[IMG]

Second Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (2)
Soap
Stirling Soaps Agar
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
No pick ups needed

Great shave. The razor is very efficient. I’m loving every stroke of this razor.

Third Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (3)
Soap
Vintage Burma Shave
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain OC
No pick ups needed

Due to time and lateness of shaving for the day I only performed a two pass shave with the OC plate. DFS without any muss or fuss. Very nice shave.
[IMG]

Fourth Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (4)
Soap
Captain’s Choice North Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain SB
No pick ups needed
One nick on my lip. My fault. In a hurry.

I was in hurry for this shave, and my lip was bitten. Nothing Gentleman Jon’s Alum Block couldn’t take care of, but still embarrassing. Other than that, a nice close shave. My next will be my Ender shave with the Derby Premium.
[IMG]

Fifth Shave
Blade Used
Derby Premium (5)
Soap
Modern Williams Mug Soap
Passes
With the grain OC
Across the grain OC
Underarms SB
No pick ups needed
Some weepers, nothing Gentleman Jon couldn’t handle

This was an ender shave. The Modern Williams was worked into a thick, slick, wonderful lather. I just couldn’t get enough. If the shave wasn’t already super smooth I would have gone for more passes. The razor was able to take care of my sensitive area (armpits) without issue.
[IMG]

My thoughts on the Blackbird;

As I had stated before I have coveted this wonderful razor for over a year now. Now that I have it I now wonder why I waited this long to make the dive. Such an enjoyable shave.

Though this razor isn’t R41 level of aggression, it will still bite if you aren’t paying attention. Is this better than my Rockwell 6S Jet Black? No, but very close. It’s now ranked up there with my Blackland Sabre. In other words I’ll fight you to the death if you try to take it. This is definitely in the rotation.

Great review and I’m glad you’re digging it. #1 razor for me by a large margin, been at the top spot for me longer than any other razor, every shave just awesome. Good call on getting both plates too!

Great review. Thanks for sharing! Just two minor quibbles. There is no knurling on a BB (still great grip, though)....and you lost me a bit on your comparison to the Rockwell 6S. The 6S with R6 plate doesn’t even sniff the efficiency of the ‘Bird.

Last edited:
Great review. Thanks for sharing! Just two minor quibbles. There is no knurling on a BB (still great grip, though)....and you lost me a bit on your comparison to the Rockwell 6S. The 6S with R6 plate doesn’t even sniff the efficiency of the ‘Bird.
Not sure where I compared the efficiency of the two. I did compare the efficiency of the Blackbird to the R41, but not the Rockwell 6S. I did say I liked the 6S a little more than the Blackbird, but not by much. Mind pointing out where I compared the 6S efficiency to the Blackbird efficiency?

Though this razor isn’t R41 level of aggression, it will still bite if you aren’t paying attention. Is this better than my Rockwell 6S Jet Black? No, but very close.

I also own a Rockwell 6S Black and ive settled into the 3 and 4 plates. Do you think the Blackbird would be too aggressive for me? I also own the Blackland Vector which I love.

I also own a Rockwell 6S Black and ive settled into the 3 and 4 plates. Do you think the Blackbird would be too aggressive for me? I also own the Blackland Vector which I love.
It's much more aggressive than the 6S.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The DE's in my rotation right now are the Rockwell 6S, Blackland Blackbird (SB) and Timeless Ti 0.95 (Scalloped). I use the Rockwell primarily with the #4 plate. I get solid shaves from all 3 razors. I also have the Blackland Vector in my rotation which also gives me excellent shaves.

I do not think the Blackland Blackbird is that more aggressive than the Rockwell 6S. To me, I would say the Blackbird is slightly more aggressive than the Ti 0.95 which in turn is slightly more aggressive than the 6S. Which is also how I would rank the closeness of shaves that I would get from them. To me all 3 of those are more aggressive than the Vector.

Shane @Blackland Razors makes excellent razors and is a very approachable guy. Plus you have 30 days to see if you like the razor or not. I own the Vector, Sabre (L1 and L2) and the Blackbird. I enjoy using each and every one of them. I also have the Tradere on pre-order. I would suggest that try it out and see how it works for you.

Top Bottom