What's new

Big Rotation Leading to Brush Issue?

What do the experts here think? I have a big brush rotation and I have been using a Simpsons Chubby 2 Synth for the past 6 months as a daily driver. I thought I better use my Semogue SOC Taj Resin Boar for some rotation and I found that the SOC barely held enough lather for a second pass. The lather simply dissipates in the time it take me to complete my first pass. It seemed to work well when I broke-it-in more than a year ago - but now, after a 6-month break, it's barely performing - and even shedding the odd hair which it did not do originally. The Chubby Synth on the other hand has given me fantastic lathers for two-passes and continues to do so. I am using the same soap (Vallobra Almond Shaving Soap Block) so that is consistent. Is this a case of a brush suffering (or sulking) from no use and therefore needing some break-in again? Or does the SOC just not like the Vallobra? Or is the Chubby just superior in this case? Anyone have any advice?

I'm always mystified when people say their boar brush eats the lather or they can't get enough lather for three full passes. If you are used to synthetics, remember you have to treat the boar brushes entirely differently. For best results, soak it until the bristles are saturated with water and load it heavy. If your brush is drying out, it has not absorbed enough water. If you don't have enough lather, you either don't have enough water or enough product loaded.

Try the Marco method, you should not run short of lather.

soc-lath.jpg
(thanks to RiderX for picture)

I'm always mystified when people say their boar brush eats the lather or they can't get enough lather for three full passes. If you are used to synthetics, remember you have to treat the boar brushes entirely differently. For best results, soak it until the bristles are saturated with water and load it heavy. If your brush is drying out, it has not absorbed enough water. If you don't have enough lather, you either don't have enough water or enough product loaded.

View attachment 1072385

+1! Great advice!! :a29: :a29:

Part of the attraction of different brushes is that you need DIFFERENT approaches to building lather!!

Badger, boar, synthetic (I cannot comment on horse as I have not had one) are all different! Hence, you need to adjust your approach accordingly!

View attachment 1072385

Good advice and nice video. I've not seen that before. You can never know too much about lathering, it's maybe the most crucial part of the shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That SOC is defective.

Fortunately, I offer to members only a disposal service for some defective brushes. It's a free service. PM for my address. Problem solved.

Some brushes don't qualify, but you're lucky 'cause yours does.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What do the experts here think? I have a big brush rotation and I have been using a Simpsons Chubby 2 Synth for the past 6 months as a daily driver. I thought I better use my Semogue SOC Taj Resin Boar for some rotation and I found that the SOC barely held enough lather for a second pass. The lather simply dissipates in the time it take me to complete my first pass. It seemed to work well when I broke-it-in more than a year ago - but now, after a 6-month break, it's barely performing - and even shedding the odd hair which it did not do originally. The Chubby Synth on the other hand has given me fantastic lathers for two-passes and continues to do so. I am using the same soap (Vallobra Almond Shaving Soap Block) so that is consistent. Is this a case of a brush suffering (or sulking) from no use and therefore needing some break-in again? Or does the SOC just not like the Vallobra? Or is the Chubby just superior in this case? Anyone have any advice?
Try just leaving your boar in-rinsed in the bowl for a couple of days then try it again. Believe me, it will not damage it.

Sounds like your brush has spent too much time being dried up. You may need to soak it a few times (letting it dry in between soaks) before you give it a good swirl. Perhaps that will loosen it up and prevent fiber breakage.

I have a variety of badger, boar, horsehair and synthetic brushes. Each of them has its own personality. Some will produce a beautiful lather with nearly any soap or cream, others seem to do better with specific types. You have to get to know your soaps/creams and you have to get to know your brushes to you can pick the perfect match-up.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It didn't get worse, dry up or forget how to hold lather.

You forgot how to use it, that's all.

Or, it might need cleaning.

Ship-Shape.jpeg

This works great for that. I buy it at Sally's.

2-23-19.Ship-Shape.Soaking.Boars.480.JPG

I use a car washing bucket I bought for a dollar at Auto Zone. It's marked at a gallon which is the right amount to wash all my brushes at once.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've never done that before and don't think I'm going to start as I don't believe in soaking the handle.

Suit yourself, but the soak in Ship-Shape is only brief, like maybe five minutes. Certainly hasn't hurt my brushes. There are other ways of cleaning brushes, but that one's my way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Suit yourself, but the soak in Ship-Shape is only brief, like maybe five minutes. Certainly hasn't hurt my brushes. There are other ways of cleaning brushes, but that one's my way.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Mine are self cleaning when I use them and thoroughly rinse and dry them after use. The same way thry are self standing, using their built in brush stand.

Hopefully it doesn't do anything to them long term. Let us know if any have any issues in a few years.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I used to have trouble with boars until one fateful day almost 8 years ago.....

I'm always mystified when people say their boar brush eats the lather or they can't get enough lather for three full passes.

Preposterous boars are foolproof, eats lather, ridiculous! I'm with you 100%. Until I picked up a Semogue 1438.

Been shaving with drug store boar brushes and Williams since Tricky Dick was president. Wondered about the hubbub of the Semogue 620 so I bought a 1438. Soaked it in Borax, palm lathered in Dawn. Next day whipped up a sumptuous lather with Oleo Isidro. Brought the brush to the face and there was no lather to be found. The brush sucked in all up. From the mug to the face the lather was GONE like a freight train, like a '59 Cadillac, she was GONE. Did this 3 times IN A ROW. Works great now, but yeah...

polanalyst: yes I think having a large rotation could affect your boars. Of course you know this but thoroughly rinsing a brush after each use is key.

Last edited:
The lather simply dissipates in the time it take me to complete my first pass. It seemed to work well when I broke-it-in more than a year ago - but now, after a 6-month break, it's barely performing - and even shedding the odd hair which it did not do originally.
I use boars almost exclusively and have seen your problem first hand many times. I know exactly what the problem is - Neglected Brush Syndrome.

First the fix. Use the brush as you normally would for three or four days IN A ROW and it will magically return to normal.

The problem is the brush is just too dry, almost like kindling, and a passive soak with just water won't bring it back unless the soak is super long. The brush needs to hydrate and the lather needs to work it's way into the capillaries of the bristles.

Some people suggest a deep cleaning. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but i think it's unnecessary. My 620 has maybe 1000 shaves on it and has never been touched by anything other than water or lather.

I use boars almost exclusively and have seen your problem first hand many times. I know exactly what the problem is - Neglected Brush Syndrome.

First the fix. Use the brush as you normally would for three or four days IN A ROW and it will magically return to normal.

The problem is the brush is just too dry, almost like kindling, and a passive soak with just water won't bring it back unless the soak is super long. The brush needs to hydrate and the lather needs to work it's way into the capillaries of the bristles.

Some people suggest a deep cleaning. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but i think it's unnecessary. My 620 has maybe 1000 shaves on it and has never been touched by anything other than water or lather.

I can vouch for that. I've literally just had a shave with an Omega boar, the first time I've used it in 4 or 5 months and I used it for every shave before it's lay off. Tonight it was like using a new brush, even it's shape, the knot really tight. It was super scritchy, stiff as a broom and shed 3 or 4 hairs. Rough on the face. I've just looked at it as it's drying and it's already starting to return to it's previous broken in state.

Because compared to synthetics, boars are lather-hogging drama queens, especially the Owners Club. You just have to feed it more lather than you would a synthetic and basically just work more in general with that thing to get your lather going. If your synthetic chubby works like a charm, just use it exclusively!

Top Bottom