What's new

Big Razor Epiphany

Had an interesting shave today.

I've generally had a problem with big razors. I like them fine, but I find them challenging. All that mass, all that momentum, means that I have to take a lot more care, and I cut myself sometimes, because of the momentum. I've never quite understood why people like them, and I've gravitated to the 5/8 and 4/8, the 50mm and below kamisoris, as a result.

Today was a weird day. A very intense workday, after being woken twice in the night for work-related urgencies.

I was absolutely exhausted. Played out. Limp. I decided, for some reason, to shave with a big razor, a 60mm kamisori.

And somehow, with my casual grip and my loose arm, I suddenly "got" the big razor thing. All of a sudden, the weight seemed like an ally. On the downstrokes, gravity let the razor fall through the whiskers. On the upstrokes, the heavy razor still seemed to be doing the work for me. I got a great shave, and it was easy.

Now I just have to reproduce that experience when I'm back to being my uptight usual self.

I have a vintage japanese western 9/8s thats a pleasure to use. Its weighted balance is awesome, similar to a 14 or even a 13. However i have a 1 larger razor that is just brutally requires attention.

Most comfortable and effortless shave for me is with a Fili14, but they are not heavy blades, just big.

I do have a Rigarazor 7/8ths, about the same size as a 14, but with a heavy grind. That's a whole lot different and demands attention and respect. I do enjoy using it, but definitely not for everyday use. It also has a slight smile that caused me to nick my earlobe twice. I mostly shave by touch, and twice I have placed the razor below my sideburn, thinking that the point is making contact, and on the down-stroke discovered that it's slightly longer than it feels!

Top Bottom