What's new

Big price difference in Personna blades

I just noticed on Amazon that Personna blades in the blue package made in the USA are only $11.75 for 100.
The Personna blades in the red package made in Israel are $29.99 for 100. That is quite a price difference. I never realized that before. I wonder why.

No clue here on the price difference but, I have tried both in the past & they shaved the same to me. Both are good blades.

Personna double edge blades sold on Amazon are confusing for sure. About a month ago there was an offer on FaceBook for blades made in the U.S. with a $5 coupon. I took the offer, even though it was more expensive with the coupon than other Personna’s, and received Personna blades marked “made in Israel”. Not really complaining because they are fine blades, but trying to identify the different types of blades labeled Personna is difficult.

Aren't the red Israelis platinum coated vs the blue USA being stainless? I have also read there are generic Israeli Personnas that are sold at places like CVS as the store brand. Then there are Med Preps that are something else too. So that's 4 Personnnas in all, Red (Platinum), Lab Blue, Generic, and Med Prep.

Tell me if I am getting that wrong...

I'm just wondering about the price difference between the red and the blue boxes. Quite a difference.
It could just be the Amazon seller marking them up. They're on ebay for about $18.99, which seems a little more realistic. I have noticed ebay has 100 packs of blades for better prices in general. My guess is that the reds are higher quality and imported so that accounts for the price difference. $30 for a 100 pack of any blade is too expensive. Feathers are cheaper than that!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That's an awful lot for Israeli Personna Reds. Pick them up in the UK packaging at WCS for $12.

I find the Israeli reds decent but not amazing in any way. I’ve used samples of them. The blue labs are new to me. I bought 100 and currently using the second one. Great blades in my opinion. However the Med prep I’ve found to be the best for me. Sharp, smooth. Long lasting. Easy to get a minimum of 10 shaves apiece. Pulled off 30 a few yrs back. They cost much more than other blades but much cheaper thru Robbins Instruments. I purchased a box of 250. Most numerous brand in my stash.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There is a new $69.95 trimmer that one of the Amazon sellers is advertising for $500! Just because there is a crazy high price doesn't mean you have to spend it.

Personna double edge blades sold on Amazon are confusing for sure. About a month ago there was an offer on FaceBook for blades made in the U.S. with a $5 coupon. I took the offer, even though it was more expensive with the coupon than other Personna’s, and received Personna blades marked “made in Israel”. Not really complaining because they are fine blades, but trying to identify the different types of blades labeled Personna is difficult.
The history of Personna is confusing, but this three year old article tries to clear things.

Last edited by a moderator:
West Coast Shaving has the Israeli Personna Reds in the red packaging for 19.00/100 and Israeli Personna Reds in the UK Packaging (white plastic tuck) for 12.00/100. I'm currently using the Reds in the UK packaging and they're terrific blades. Sharp, smooth, and long lasting. I believe they're the same blades. The UK packaged blades come 10 per tuck, while the others are 5 per tuck, which would result in more packaging material. Other than that, I don't know why they would vary so much in price.

The reds and the blues are both great for me! The reds are made in Israel and the blues in the US. :a14::a14:

Top Bottom