What's new

Big ol' razors

My beard grows pretty fast. So after a 7 day hiatus, I had a certified beard.

This morning I Lathered up with some Nancy Boy Replenishing Shaving cream. Great stuff! Then, figuring a big job required big equipment, I stropped up my Wade & Butcher 15/16 wedge.

It amazes me. You look at a full hollow ground blade and imagine that when sharp it will glide through any beard. Yet they always seem to take a bit more effort for me. I have found, I just have one of those beards that needs a bit more weight to the blade. The heavier the blade the easier it seems to glide through my beard.

Three passes with no tugging, nicks or irritation. My face was left smooth and fresh.

I followed up with a liberal splash of Lucky Tiger aftershave and face tonic. After that dried off I splashed on Irisch Moos Aftershanve and Cologne.

A truly fine shave.

Man, I love those big ol' razors!

:thumbup1:

What Big Beefy Blades do you have in your arsenal?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Big blades are nice. I have a 8/8 Filly and a 7/8 Dorko in my rotation. I have some big old wedges but they need some work.

Made me think of this:

Attachments

• $legrelot.jpg
    $legrelot.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 88
Big blades are nice. I have a 8/8 Filly and a 7/8 Dorko in my rotation. I have some big old wedges but they need some work.

I have a few of them to work on myself. This prompted me to move two of my razors (A Wosty and another W&B Wedge) up in the restore process.

i just consciously like shaving with my choppers vs my smaller 5/8- cuz it "feels" like its doing more work.
same alike with hollow grounds vs wedges, though the shaves are all similar in a sense.. maybe its just me?

My beard grows pretty fast. So after a 7 day hiatus, I had a certified beard.

It amazes me. You look at a full hollow ground blade and imagine that when sharp it will glide through any beard. Yet they always seem to take a bit more effort for me. I have found, I just have one of those beards that needs a bit more weight to the blade. The heavier the blade the easier it seems to glide through my beard.

What Big Beefy Blades do you have in your arsenal?

My largest is a 6/8 joseph elliot wedge. It's been seeing a lot of use since I first tried it a couple weeks ago. My experience was similar, having noticed it made shaving my coarse beard somewhat easier than with my full hollows.

Nothing like wielding a nice old heavy Sheffield wedge blade. I have a few 7/8, one 15/16, but I'm dying to find an affordable 8/8 or bigger.

I love big old Sheffields. I have a bunch of 8/8 W&Bs.... at least one is over 8/8, a couple are a hair under, have a couple 7/8 also.

Top Bottom