What's new

Big Green Egg

I've been looking for a kamado and in Calgary this is the price difference between the BGE and Kamado Joe if equipped similarly:
BGE:
Large Egg - $1099.99
Large Nest - $159.99
Large Flip up Side Tables - $159.99
Ash Removal Tool - $16.99
Vinyl Cover - $69.99
20lbs bag of Charcoal - $29.99
Total - $1535.95

Kamado Joe:
Red Joe comes with stand, side tables, ash tool, cover, bag of charcoal
Total - $900

I think I'm going with the Kamado Joe

I've been looking for a kamado and in Calgary this is the price difference between the BGE and Kamado Joe if equipped similarly:
BGE:
Large Egg - $1099.99
Large Nest - $159.99
Large Flip up Side Tables - $159.99
Ash Removal Tool - $16.99
Vinyl Cover - $69.99
20lbs bag of Charcoal - $29.99
Total - $1535.95

Kamado Joe:
Red Joe comes with stand, side tables, ash tool, cover, bag of charcoal
Total - $900

I think I'm going with the Kamado Joe

It's amazing how prices have gone up since I bought mine.

One thing that sticks out is the price of Charcoal you have listed.
Down here you get 20 lb. bags for $15 (Lazzari), and 10 lb bags for $8.
Do look around before buying from that source.

that is just the list price for a bag of the BGE charcoal. threw it in there since the KJ dealer said a bag was included. pretty sure the BGE dealer would throw one in. but $600 is a big difference. I was really surprised by the price the KJ dealer gave me. I was expecting it to be in the $1100-$1200 range

I'm coming to this post late but have to cast my vote FOR the Big Green Egg (or an equivalent ceramic cooker). I've had my large for about 8 years now and "stole" a small for $200 about five years ago. I use the small almost daily in the summer and several tiimes a week during the rest of the year. The large gets called into service for big cooks or when I need to make some super good pork ribs or pulled pork.

You can cook anything on a BGE from high temp searing for steaks to low-and-slow for extremely good BBQ.

Yep, you will spend some serious sheckel on a ceramic cooker but the cost is well worth the long-term benefit.

There is a maker called Kamodo (makes Dragon Fire, I think), but the Big Green Egg, is made by Big Green Egg. Here is the link to their web page, which has links to the Forum.
http://www.biggreenegg.com/
The design is based on a Japanese rice cooker and soldiers brought back after WWII.

According to the owner at Kamado, BGE and Kamado go way back. Kamado was first, and went out of business for a few years. A guy copied the Kamado design, and released as the BGE. Years later, Kamado came back, with a different design and more size options (same owner). The Kamado owner claims that he basically made up the name, but everyone thinks there's really a japanese kamado out there somewhere. :)

There's definitely no love lost between the two. :)

There's definitely no love lost between the two. :)

That may be the understatement of the day! I've seen postings at the BGE, the PRIMO, and other forums go after each other because of the brand name of the cooker they use. I like the BGE because it is the one I saw and bought. I'm willing to bet I would be equally avid about any other brand I might own. As for me, I'd rather share cooking info than grouse about the cooking surface.

I own a large Big Green Egg and it has been worth every cent. I have seared at nearly 700 degrees, made pizza at 600 degrees, baked pies at 375, made stew in a dutch oven, slow cooked at 200 for 16 hours without refueling, and now I have an accessory that will allow me to use a wok with my Egg. Oh, and I can also throw burgers and dogs on it too.

I used to own a Weber Smokey Mountain grill, and the difference is night and day. The Weber is still a decent item, but the Egg (or any other quality ceramic grill) takes it to the next level.

Use a real wood cooker for BBQ, it the only true wood smoked Q. :001_tt2:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just kidding fellas. The BGE gets a lot of high praise and I'm sure they are worth it.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been looking for a BGE for many years, but thought it was too expensive, and the dealers in my area all said the canadian distributor was an as**ole.

Correction ... the Canadian distributor is an "eh hole" :wink2:

Use a real wood cooker for BBQ, it the only true wood smoked Q...

...Just kidding fellas. The BGE gets a lot of high praise and I'm sure they are worth it.

I've never cooked 8 butts on my Egg, though!
It all has a place, and when people tell me they like food from my Egg but blanch at the cost, I tell them how great of Q a Smokey Mountain Bullet can make.

Roger

I was just kidding, I also have a WSM that I use quite a bit. It makes some wonderful Q and is easy as can be to use.

that is just the list price for a bag of the BGE charcoal. threw it in there since the KJ dealer said a bag was included. pretty sure the BGE dealer would throw one in. but $600 is a big difference. I was really surprised by the price the KJ dealer gave me. I was expecting it to be in the $1100-$1200 range

That is a very good price. In Ottawa and Montreal, they sell for $1,100 + tax. I got mine for $1,000 because we bought three (and got a couple of freebies)

That is a very good price. In Ottawa and Montreal, they sell for $1,100 + tax. I got mine for $1,000 because we bought three (and got a couple of freebies)

Yeah, they were on sale. Apparently they weren't selling well, but I don't think many people know about them, and frankly the customer service at that retailer is terrible

I heard over here they sell like hotcakes, but I've never seen one in my neighbourhood except for mine. But I'm not a stalker... so there might be a few!

A friend of mine bought a BGE, and he swears by it. I've even had meals cooked in it. They tasted no better than what I can make in my $225 wood smoker.

Seems to be a lot of talk about flareups in this thread - regardless of what I'm grilling, or at what temperature, I just don't get flareups. I think that's more a function of technique than the cooking vessel.

Top Bottom