What's new

Big Fellow

I got my 1921 Big Fellow today.

I haven't been able to find much about their qualities.

How's the shave? How aggressive? It didn't make the Wiki aggressiveness scale, so I'm curious :)

This forum and some others don't allow small words like "big" (yeah, big is a small word) in their searches, so I haven't gotten much info.

Thanks.

Peace

Last edited:
Have you used a New Improved before? Your 1921 Big Fellow is actually a New Improved with a longer, heavier handle and it was sold in that great wooden case. Many folks say that the New Improved razors are the best shavers of all the Gillettes. If you like a heavy razor, you will probably like your new Big Guy.

Regards,
Tom

Have you used a New Improved before? Your 1921 Big Fellow is actually a New Improved with a longer, heavier handle and it was sold in that great wooden case. Many folks say that the New Improved razors are the best shavers of all the Gillettes. If you like a heavy razor, you will probably like your new Big Guy.

Regards,
Tom

This would be the first New Improved that I have acquired. The heaviest razor I have is probably my Red-tip Superspeed, which I also just received and have used twice.

Thanks Tom

Peace

If you have it, then why don't you try it out and see?

I thought I'd get a few "expectations" from the incredibly knowledgeable members here first, then I would have an inkling as to what to expect.

I'm definitely giving it a try though...most likely tomorrow.

Peace

I have one and consider it an aggressive but quite comfortable shave with a smooth blade. My recommendation would be to use a blade that is as smooth as it is sharp. A Swedish Gillette blade would be perfect.

Good luck, and let us know how it works for you.

jim

Perhaps I should do a SROTW on this one....hmmmmmmm, guess you'll need to wait and see....:biggrin:

I can't believe :cursing::mad2::cryin: I didn't think of that first! :mad5::yikes::behead::a13:

I'll use it today (and I have a doozy of a 3-day, hardcore, ready-to-do-battle, gray-haired beast of a beard to try it on).

Ok, after I polished the Big Fellow (odd, since I refer to all of my razors in the feminine gender), I loaded-up a Derby and went to shaving.

Yes, indeed the Big Fellow is a tad aggressive.

However, the feedback it gives you, IMHO, is even better than that of the Aristocrat, and the shave is better than the Red-tip Superspeed.

Keep in mind that I have a very tough beard (gray and wicked) and allowed 3 days of growth. Hey, its the weekend man!

There was something about the feel and sound of this baby slicing through the stubble. It was amazing. The first pass cleared a path that the Red-tip would have to bow to. It was so enjoyable that I did a four-pass, which is unusual for me, as I usually only do 3. WTG, XTG, Gillette Slide, then ATG.

Smooth baby....smooth :biggrin:

The Big Fellow is a heavy beast too. I simply let her do the heavy-lifting while I sat back and enjoyed.

If you have one and haven't used it lately, get her out and put her back into the rotation. You won't be sorry.

Me, I may have found my new daily shaver.

PS:

This sounds like a review that belongs in the appropriate forum. I'll post it there later.

Here are the after-cleaning/polishing shots. It doesn't look too bad I guess.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You may be able to tell that I finally got a tabletop tripod too :tongue_sm

Peace

Very nice. I have a Big Fellow box in great shape, sans the blade case or the razor. I now have some hunting to do. I like a heavy aggressive shaver, so your description is music to my ears.

Thanks for sharing!:001_smile

Very nice. I have a Big Fellow box in great shape, sans the blade case or the razor. I now have some hunting to do. I like a heavy aggressive shaver, so your description is music to my ears.

Thanks for sharing!:001_smile

Not a problem. I posted the same "review" as an actual review in the reviews forum.

Erwin offered me a box since the bottom is falling out of mine (very nice to do, I might add), but I wanted to keep the box the razor came in.

Its a mighty fine razor with great heft. I'm surprised that it doesn't get mentioned here more often. I dunno..maybe they aren't as readily available as most.

Peace

Top Bottom