What's new

Big boy deluxe base plate removal

Evening guys!

I really want to put the base plate from the big boy deluxe on a different handle. Is this ludicrous? If this is sane...How would I go about this? How does the base plate come off? I thought I better ask before applying force.

Thanks in advance!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm thinking of putting a different body on my '37 Bugatti. Any suggestions?

$37-Bugatti.jpg

No, that's not a very good idea.

I wouldn't remove the handle.

Looks like you will have to use a different cap because the big boy cap has a long post with threads.

Putting a different cap and handle on the Bigboy baseplate may make it shave better or worse, no way to know until you try.

If you succeed in getting the handle off without destroying it, you may not be able to put it back on so easily.

It's up to you, but I would find another NEW LC or SC to put handle handle on.

Please don't ... You'll destroy the Big Boy.:crying:

David, find a Deluxe with a detachable handle if you really want to try one with a different handle. IMO the Big Boy is perfect as is, but if you really must, please leave the Big Boy alone and try with another Deluxe ( with a detachable handle) ... :lol:

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
proxy.php

Find a Tuckaway with a new deluxe head and use it. I think some Red & Black sets had a new deluxe head. Don't risk destroying the Bigboy.

Last edited:
+3 on finding a three piece NEW De Luxe vs trying to remove the head from the Big Boy. It might take a while to find a Tuckaway or a Red and Black set but that is a surefire way to get a usable razor vs a pile of ruined plated brass.

Find a Tuckaway with a new deluxe head and use it. I think some Red & Black sets had a new deluxe head. Don't risk destroying the Bigboy.

You are right, Mike. My Deluxe with the Tuckaway handle came in a Red & Black case ( not in the picture though)

$CAM01385.jpg

You guys hit the nail on the head. Its the tuckaway model that can be mounted on a different handle. I saw a picture of it online. Pretty cool idea though, I read that the ikon OC is a clone of the deluxe head. Is this true? The big boy was always safe guys, I would ONLY do it if it was safe to do for both me and the more beautiful razor.

Last edited:
Never before in the history of B&B have so many gents agreed on... well, much of anything really.

One option is to post a trade offer, to swap it for a short-thread NEW Deluxe in Tuckaway-style or bar-handle. All else equal you should be on the strong end of that trade.

Never before in the history of B&B have so many gents agreed on... well, much of anything really.

One option is to post a trade offer, to swap it for a short-thread NEW Deluxe in Tuckaway-style or bar-handle. All else equal you should be on the strong end of that trade.

Glad to help in any way I can! I said when I got here that I would benefit the most as a newbie from asking questions. Ive been around these razors for going on about 3 monthes total now. But before that I didnt even know what a vintage gillette was, so you can probably bank on some more all unifying questions from yours truly in the coming monthes...lol. Hey maybe somebody can benefit from my ultra green (novice) question sometime down the road.

Top Bottom