What's new

Big blades

So it seems finding anything in the neighborhood of 7/8 8/8 15/16 and so on to restore is almost always gonna cost 3 figures as in one bill at the least, is this common at this time? I obviously have not been collecting very long and the handful I have vary from worn 5-6/8 mind you I am very pleased with my small collection at this time and don't want hundreds of razors but I'd like to have at least one large razor! Hell I'd be happy with just a blade I can put custom scales on! Anyhow that's my rant! Happy shaves!

Last edited:
It sure is mate the bigger they are the more they cost, that's what I have found but I cannot see them coming down in price any time soon.....

It sure is mate the bigger they are the more they cost, that's what I have found but I cannot see them coming down in price any time soon.....
Unfortunately for me!! Guess if you want to play ya gotta pay! Lol! May have to fire up the forge and put the freq drive back on the grinder, order some belts and play with my old toys...

Unfortunately for me!! Guess if you want to play ya gotta pay! Lol! May have to fire up the forge and put the freq drive back on the grinder, order some belts and play with my old toys...
That's what got me started. Why pay over a hundred dollars for something that you can make yourself with a couple thousand dollars in tools.

That's what got me started. Why pay over a hundred dollars for something that you can make yourself with a couple thousand dollars in tools.
That's too funny I have approximately $200.00 in my knife making set up cause I've made everything except the motor and freq drive, consumables not withstanding belts, propane for the forge etc etc...

Most of my razors are in the 6/8 - 7/8 range. All were $40 - $80 from eBay (except my 7/8 Dorko 118 which was NOS and considerably more expensive). But then, I enjoy spending considerable chunks of time bringing neglected gems back to working form.

I generally prefer smaller razors but I have more than my fair share of larger razors too. Smaller razors are more nimble and just as sharp.

IMG_20190829_172947.jpg
I can get them pretty cheap.
Last week I bought this one.
15/16 Solinger blade.
Paid 15 euros for it.
Shaves like a dream.

Most of my razors are in the 6/8 - 7/8 range. All were $40 - $80 from eBay (except my 7/8 Dorko 118 which was NOS and considerably more expensive). But then, I enjoy spending considerable chunks of time bringing neglected gems back to working form.
I'm enjoying bringing them back as well!! Just looking for my next ;)
I generally prefer smaller razors but I have more than my fair share of larger razors too. Smaller razors are more nimble and just as sharp.
As long as I can keep shaving with the ones I have I'll be ok until I find the next "one" lol!
View attachment 1013072 I can get them pretty cheap.
Last week I bought this one.
15/16 Solinger blade.
Paid 15 euros for it.
Shaves like a dream.
Lucky dog!! Lol!! Nice blade by the way!

I agree that they are more nimble and just as sharp. I have several 5/8" including a small Genco that I got for $15. Easy to hone and takes a good edge. However, I have developed a preference for larger razors primarily because they are simply easier for me to hold.

I agree that they are more nimble and just as sharp. I have several 5/8" including a small Genco that I got for $15. Easy to hone and takes a good edge. However, I have developed a preference for larger razors primarily because they are simply easier for me to hold.
That's as good a reason as any and a rational one too.:001_smile

So it seems finding anything in the neighborhood of 7/8 8/8 15/16 and so on to restore is almost always gonna cost 3 figures as in one bill at the least, is this common at this time? I obviously have not been collecting very long and the handful I have vary from worn 5-6/8 mind you I am very pleased with my small collection at this time and don't want hundreds of razors but I'd like to have at least one large razor! Hell I'd be happy with just a blade I can put custom scales on! Anyhow that's my rant! Happy shaves!
Check with JR aficionado bros. Still not cheep but well worthwhile

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ll second the motion to contact JR. He has hundreds of blades and I’m sure he has something that will suit your desires. His restorations are excellent and pricing fair. If you want to contact him directly (best option), PM me and I’ll give you his number. He now refers to small blades as “Steve razors” as they are my preference by far.

Deals happen, but they happen less frequently than you’ll see the blade you want going for a few $$ higher than you want to spend. Me, I don’t have the time or patience, if I see a razor I want and the price is in line with current sales, I buy it. I’d rather have a single $200 razor that I really wanted than five $20 razors that I wasn’t thrilled with. Remember, restoration can turn an 8/8 or a 15/16 into a 6/8+ quickly, so that’s something to watch for with bargain blades.

Top Bottom