What's new

Bidding on a Toggle?

I have been bidding on a Gillette adjustable toggle on ebay but the price is jumping quite fast it went from 5 bucks to 37. What is a reasonable price for these? I don't really see them pop up for sale very often. Thanks.

Ive seen toggles range anywhere from $80 bucks (not very good cosmetic condition) to upwards of $300 for a near mint. If its in decent condition you can expect it to go over $100 easily

You think it's jumping fast now, wait till five minutes before the auction is over.

BTW I don't think we're supposed to make references to live auctions in the forum. Good luck though

Toggles, despite being considered rare, actually pop up on the 'bay on a fairly regular basis. I've grown accustomed to seeing 2-3 on the bay at a given time in the past few months, at least. But they aren't always described accurately or consistently. You have to search for them using different terms.

From the few auctions I've watched, the prices seem to be driven up mostly by people bidding early and repeatedly, in an effort to "leapfrog" other bidders. But as alluded to earlier, in auctions for items considered "rare," it's usually unlikely that an early bid will be the winner.

If you find yourself a Toggle auction that seems to be flying under the radar and hold your bidding until the end, chances are good that you can get one for a reasonable price. What's reasonable? That's something only you can decide.

I've seen some minty ones go for far less than $300 recently (and some go for much more), but if you're looking for one to shave with and not put in some display case, and you don't need the instructions, case, shipper, etc...you'll have much better chances of not breaking the bank.

I saw one go as part of a lot of four recently, as I recall $69 plus shipping for the lot. Definitely under the radar, as all four razors were described just as old Gillettes. The Toggle seemed to have lost a fair amount of plating, and the other razors in the lot were nothing special. I was just watching. Not really interested in getting one, although I wouldn't say no if one fell into my lap at a really low price. The proverbial thrift shop that doesn't know what it's got situation.

But yes, in general, if they are correctly described with good looking photographs, and in decent condition, you won't get one cheap on eBay.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't going to close at $37.

I won an un-used F-4 toggle on Ebay today for $106. The seller listed it as a GILETTE instead of GILLETTE. Just on a whim I did a search last night for razors under different Gillette spelling variations and I came across this one. I knew from lurking here on these forums for a couple of weeks now and just soaking in the wealth of experience and knowledge, that this was a razor to have. I actually feel honored to be so new to DE shaving that I actually won this razor. A hearty thanks to everyone here for everything I've learned in such a short time.

I purchased one with some minor cosmetic flaws for around $130. Mint is going to put a dent in the pocketbook and a frown on wifey's face :smile:

I won an un-used F-4 toggle on Ebay today for $106. The seller listed it as a GILETTE instead of GILLETTE. Just on a whim I did a search last night for razors under different Gillette spelling variations and I came across this one. I knew from lurking here on these forums for a couple of weeks now and just soaking in the wealth of experience and knowledge, that this was a razor to have. I actually feel honored to be so new to DE shaving that I actually won this razor. A hearty thanks to everyone here for everything I've learned in such a short time.

I'm sorry, but you do not have enough posts yet to keep a NOS Toggle.....I will send you my mailing address......LOL

Congrats on a score like that....and Welcome to B&B.

Top Bottom