What's new

Bicycle Experts: Pinch Flats info needed

I have the gp5000 in tubeless, good rolling resistance (being tuneless), excellent puncture resistance when used with orange seal and deliver a Very comfortable ride when Pumped up to 90-95 psi

I was riding with a set of 700x23 gp4000 for a while but recently switched back to a set of 700x28 gator hardshells.
Noticed the streets in my area have been more rocky and don’t want to risk a flat on my skinny tires. I’ve never had a flat with the hardshell either.

My tube tips:
Take the tubes out of the box, and gently inflate them before mounting to get them into a nice round shape.
I try to mount the tire and tubes without irons. But in case I have to use tire irons, I've taken two sets and sanded and polished the working edge so as to minimize pinching while forcing the last 4-5 inches of tire on to the rim.
I always check the rim for rough edges, spoke nipples poking through the rim strip, and any and all dirt.
Pump your ties up in stages. For me and my 60 PSI 700x42c, I do 25, then flex the tire/tube with the palm of your hand, then release. Repeat the process at 40, then go to 60PSI.
If I were doing 100 PSI I'd do it in 4 or 5 stages to give the rubber in the new tube a chance to "get acquainted" with the rim and tire.

I use similar tires on my Apocalypse bike. Schwalbe makes a nice tire for the price!:thumbup:

Called to talk to them about tires - guy on the phone was super-informative and really great. Too bad he's in another state - we could've been good friends!

These are the ones I use on my bike.

I can avoid flats pretty well, so long as I am consistent in keeping the tires inflated properly.

Ive noticed this tyre as I get my stuff from CRC as well....they just seemed a little heavy to me.
Like they would not roll as smoothly as a Conti 5000 or 4000GP.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ive noticed this tyre as I get my stuff from CRC as well....they just seemed a little heavy to me.
Like they would not roll as smoothly as a Conti 5000 or 4000GP.
I'm focusing on the ride to and from work so reliability is key for me, rather than speed and weight extremes.

I'm focusing on the ride to and from work so reliability is key for me, rather than speed and weight extremes.
generally all manufacturers will make a puncture resistant all weather/wet weather riding tire for those that want to sacrifice cornering and 'feel'. aka gatorskins, and i forget the schwalbe version... durano? generally have a kevlar belt of sorts for puncture resistance.

i used to race a fair amount of racing and had access to a variety of tires through team sponsorship. nice, supple tires that you can corner hard generally cut up easy and you are at higher risk to puncture and tread wears faster. even as a 'weekend group' rider these days, i also am just looking for flat resistance and reliability.... no need to hold up the group with a flat, and Im not taking corners hot in a crit anymore.

Welp...one GP 5000 down... This was on yesterday's ride on the west side of Lake Okeechobee.
BD3BEF30-91A9-49D8-8032-9FD85B775D1A.jpeg0248CD63-6C3F-4DF3-A624-5686EB6910CC.jpegE3003CDB-554E-4DA1-AB74-68EA32414AC3.jpeg88C5DFE8-CC64-4803-961C-E399A0CFC23F.jpeg
I had to look back to when I first mounted these tires. December 16, 2019. Total miles? 1350. Sidewalls are weak, it seems. I had a small cut in the sidewall and didn't swap the tire. That is my fault. Riding on the double track was a bit bumpy, and after about 6 miles I heard the BANG/WHOOSH of the tube letting go. I put a new tube in and aired up about 20 psi less to limp 23 miles back to the car. I forgot to wrap a CO2 cartridge with black tape. That may have allowed my to properly air up after the swap. This morning, I swapped the tire for the better of the 2 Turbo Pros I saved when I went to GP 5000s. There is a substantial difference in the quality, specifically the sidewall construction. I did order another GP 5000, but it may be the last.

Attachments

• 61AF8225-95ED-43E5-AE13-984BED4212F8.jpeg
    61AF8225-95ED-43E5-AE13-984BED4212F8.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Welp...one GP 5000 down... This was on yesterday's ride on the west side of Lake Okeechobee.
View attachment 1122009View attachment 1122010View attachment 1122011View attachment 1122012
I had to look back to when I first mounted these tires. December 16, 2019. Total miles? 1350. Sidewalls are weak, it seems. I had a small cut in the sidewall and didn't swap the tire. That is my fault. Riding on the double track was a bit bumpy, and after about 6 miles I heard the BANG/WHOOSH of the tube letting go. I put a new tube in and aired up about 20 psi less to limp 23 miles back to the car. I forgot to wrap a CO2 cartridge with black tape. That may have allowed my to properly air up after the swap. This morning, I swapped the tire for the better of the 2 Turbo Pros I saved when I went to GP 5000s. There is a substantial difference in the quality, specifically the sidewall construction. I did order another GP 5000, but it may be the last.
I have no first hand experience with the GP5000, but I have heard the old GP4000S II are a better tire than the newer GP5000 (read many reviews). I still ride on the GP4000S II and have for years without tire damage. I will get a pinch/glass flat now and again, but the tire integrity is always clean. I think when a newer tire model is released, it is best to wait a production cycle or two to see results or tweaks. I love my GP4000's, a great tire.

Looks like you have been getting in some great rides!

i think they were clearing out the GP4000s a few months ago on competitive cyclist. ive been riding them for a few years now. Im generally a few versions behind, as i stock up on sales and never buy the 'newest' edition. Still have some pro race 2s and 3s on some other wheelsets

Im still forming opinions on the GP5000 and discovering that the tyre rolls smoothly...
but it is relatively 'soft'....it's only a matter of time before I run it over a shard of glass
or some sharp metallic object and that will be it.

I should have stick to my tried and tested GP 4 Seasons....it rolls smooth as silk and extremely
long lasting for me.

Popular saying with wheels - cheap, strong, lightweight. Pick 2. you can never have all 3.

i think something similarly with tires..... soft and supple that corners well will obviously have faster wear, lower puncture resistance. weight and costs will be saved by having thinner sidewalls which will also allow for a softer feel (as it would conform better). I always felt GP4000s were a great compromise. Gatorskins are a little hard, but have some better puncture resistance. I have plenty of super soft tires that feel great but are cut to shreds after a few rides.

Got an extremely slow flat on my rear 5000S 2 days ago...found about 3 cuts on the tyre,
the compound is extremely soft and IMO not fit for road riding, maybe ok for velodrome surfaces.
Anyway, that's that for me and the Conti 5000....will be going back to Conti 4 seasons grand prix.

I put a set of Continental Gator Hardshells (700x28c) on the Roubaix for a loop around Lake Okeechobee yesterday. No flats. No cuts. No abrasions. The front mold line is still partially intact and the rear has worn away. Sale priced for $30 each, but after yesterday's 10 hour ride they are worth their weight in gold!!!

Including the sidewalls. They are slower on pavement due to the weight, but I certainly wasn’t thinking about that on the gravel and stone.

Top Bottom