What's new

Bic Sensitive Shaver = wow!

...the cheap razors will only scrape you not shave or cut properly.

I respectfully disagree with you there, I went from carts to the single-blade Sensitives and I get great shaves from them with no irritation, but then I also splash my face with water and put on a relatively thick layering of Barbasol aloe cream on before starting the session, plus shaving daily as per work uniform requirements helps too.

I agree with the comments on angle here. Cartridge and disposables, it seems, place the blade at the flattest possible angle automatically. The shaver doesn't really have to do anything. I'm going to take the advice about using an open comb and give one of those a try. I still think my angle is still too steep. Are the Tech razors with their flatter heads easier to get shallow? This is what makes me think that eventually I'm going to be converting to a straight. Not there yet though.

Not rushing like you can with, say, a TracII or Mach3, helps too, gotta take it a little slower with single-blade anything, as it's easier to nick yourself with anything single-bladed, be it a Bic Sensitive single-blade disposable, single-edge or double-edge safety razor, Guard cart razor, or a straight blade, than it is with anything with two or more blades, like the aformentioned TracII or Mach3.

I've been using the Gillette Guard and the Bic Metal for head shaving. I haven't nicked myself with the Guard yet. One quick pass and I'm good. I managed to gouge myself pretty good with the Bic Metal. So it goes to the back of the shaving drawer until it learns some manners :bored: YMMV

I respectfully disagree with you there, I went from carts to the single-blade Sensitives and I get great shaves from them with no irritation, but then I also splash my face with water and put on a relatively thick layering of Barbasol aloe cream on before starting the session, plus shaving daily as per work uniform requirements helps too.
I respect your opinions....but 90 percent of new members come here for that reason.

Last edited:
This morning I hadn't decided what to shave with, had a few choices, most of which where different cartridge or disposables which I hadn't yet tried. Did a hot towel, face lathered some C.O. Bigelow cream with a bit of glycerin and at the last minute decided to do the rest as a cheap shave day. Tried the Bic Sensitive followed up with Barbasol Pacific Rush aftershave and a bit of Afta Fresh. Two pass shave which turned out to be one of my best yet. I had read positive reviews of the Bic Sensitive but was surprised how good and forgiving it was. I was really impressed. First shave in a while with absolutely NO burn, nicks or cuts and dang good closeness.

Bic Sensitive uses a very sharp and thin blade, sharper than most DE blades, and in combination with a mild razor head I this is the secret to why it gives suck a good shaves.

I've had good shaves with the Bic Sensitive or the Personna clones (which is why I have one as my avatar). You need to use a slick, thin lather, a very light touch, and you can get fairly close in only one pass. Cremo or Van Der Hagen work very well.

The blade exposure is recessed a little compared to a DE. That makes it far less tricky to get right.

...I still think my angle is still too steep. Are the Tech razors with their flatter heads easier to get shallow?..
It is possible to get a close shave with a Tech, but many people don't because the effective angle is pretty narrow. It has a sweet spot where it works well and outside of that, not much gets cut. Try a very sharp blade such as a Feather if you haven't before.

I like the fat handle, it seems to help. I have sometimes put a much longer handle on and that also worked after a period of adjustment, but you lose the maneuverability to some extent.

I did notice that after the second shave that the blade was already starting to feel rough, not slicing as cleanly. So it would still be more expensive than the DE blades. So i will continue to practice with the Gillette Tech and save the Bics for when i am short on time. It looks like blades can make a difference too, but i wanted to get technique down before messing with the system components. Only complaint with the Tech is the handle feels a tad difficult to hold onto, so i will probably experiment with temporary wraps on the handle. The Merkur razor with the big fat blue anodized aluminum handle looks like it would be about the right size.

I got 3 weeks out af a Bic Sensitive once. I'm fairly certain I could have done a month. And I don't have a light beard. I just used a Razorpit to clean off the blade after every shave.

Another razor to check out is the Gillette Guard. It's also fairly mild.

The Bic Metal and #1 aren't as mild.

Top Bottom