What's new

Bic Sensitive Shaver = wow!

I have been shaving with a very nice Gillette Tech with a ball end handle from the late 40's for about 2 or 3 weeks now. And it works pretty decent. I have sensitive skin on my neck and my limit is really one pass with an occasional 2nd pass, otherwise i will be regretting it. The stubble never seems to change from a 5 o'clock shadow on my neck, which i have just learned to live with. After reading some favorable reviews on the Bic Sensitive Shaver with a single blade on a whim I picked up a 12 pack from Walmart for just under 3 dollars. I was amazed at the results. First time try with a single pass with the Bic and there was no skin irritation and the shave was closer than multiple passes with either my Gillette Tech or my Feather Popular. After a month and a half of struggling to get a decent shave i am flabbergasted by one of the cheapest disposable razors. There is nothing to be impressed with in the construction of the Bic but the shaving results are amazing. The blade angle is intuitive, just lay the bevel flat on the skin and the hair is sliced away and the skin left intact. There were no nicks or scrapes, just a nice close shave. I am pretty sure if I went for a second pass that I would have achieved, cue the angelic choir, the mythical BBS shave. I am not really sure where this leaves me. The longevity of the Tech vs. the plastic wonder of the Bic. :blush: Feeling more than a little sheepish. Heh!

you have to do what works best for you.
while this is a cool little "hobby", if its not living up to your expectations it may be time to leave it.
these razors are not for everyone. cartridges can be fine too.
also wet shaving goes beyond the de razor.
all the prep, brushes, cool soaps, etc. are what make it "wet" not the de razor.
you can still use all them and still use a bic.
i think ive seen others post about this topic and they can probably speak more to it.

If you are going cartridge, check out the BIC metal and gilletter guard razors.

Don't get too worked up whether others here do/don't like cartridges. Shaving requires prep and that is what you should focus on.

Ive used those before and had good results, the blade gap allows for easy rinsing without clogging, and they are cheap.
You can take them on airplanes. You can get them pretty much anywhere.
Depending how many shaves you get per razor it can be comparable, if not cheaper than DE blades.

The downside is the yellow plastic handle feels like fisher price designed it.

Hello and welcome to B&B, Jacob. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

The best part of DE/wet shaving is finding whatever it s that works best for you.

Shave away and enjoy!

Welcome to B and B!

You found what works for you, super! If you want to use vintage gear, you might have luck with Schick injectors. The head design is similar to the Bic (to most carts actually) so angle is intuitive. The blades are cheap (not as cheap as DE blades but close), long lasting, and sharp. Good luck!

Yeah, the Bic does appeal to my pragmatic and penny-pinching nature. I am just not sure if the quality of the shave was as a result of practices learned from following advice from here on preparation and technique for the past 2 months or if I have found the One. I had just kinda hoped that the One would appear in a different form other than a 10 cent piece of plastic and a sliver of steel. I know, cheapness and liking nice things create plenty of "Duh!" moments.

I suspect that the prep and technique you picked up using the DE has contributed to the success with the Bic. The fact that the shaves have been better with the Bic than with the Tech makes me think that your blade angle is off when using the DE. As with all things regarding this hobby, YMMV, but the turning point for me was my first open comb razor. I thought I had the whole blade angle issue down pat, but my first few shaves with an open comb made my incorrect angle apparent. When you have the right blade angle, no trails are left through the lather from the OC. When I had shaving with an OC razor down, I went back to my safety bar razors and the shaves were markedly improved. Good luck with whatever method you choose. It sounds that, no matter what, you've found a method that gives you great shaves. My advice is to not give up on the DE razors yet.

Some good info and insight from all. I suspect that the cheap razors shaved yo well bbecause you already was adjusting to the other DE razors and your skin was prepared accordingly. But in long run the cheap razors will only scrape you not shave or cut properly.

I'm a DE guy all the way, but I often use a Bic Sensitive to shave my head. It's remarkably good for a plastic disposable razor.

I find myself in the same position as you.

I just shaved with a bic metal and my shave was better than what I have been getting with a DE. Bic sensitives treat me well too (not as close but less irritation).

Its funny b/c when I use a bic I feel naughty, but I can't argue with the results

Last edited:
I find myself in the same position as you.

I just shaved with a bic metal and my shave was better than what I have been getting with a DE. Bic sensitives treat me well too (not as close but less irritation).

Its funny b/c when I use a bic I feel naughty, but I can't argue with the results

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I have been using these when I travel. Not bad, though not great, in my opinion. But if we've learned nothing else here, it is how much opinions vary on everything.

I did notice that after the second shave that the blade was already starting to feel rough, not slicing as cleanly. So it would still be more expensive than the DE blades. So i will continue to practice with the Gillette Tech and save the Bics for when i am short on time. It looks like blades can make a difference too, but i wanted to get technique down before messing with the system components. Only complaint with the Tech is the handle feels a tad difficult to hold onto, so i will probably experiment with temporary wraps on the handle. The Merkur razor with the big fat blue anodized aluminum handle looks like it would be about the right size.

The Bic disposables (disposables in general really) don't get a lot of press here, but when they do, it's mostly favorable. I've tried the Bic Sensitive and the Bic Metal. Despite wanting to like the Metal better (because it just looks nicer) I prefer the shave from the Sensitive. I'd never use it as a daily driver, but don't hesitate to throw one into an overnight bag or when traveling.

You said you don't like the handle on the Tech. Pardon me if I missed it, but are you using a ball end handle? There is an older fat handle available on the Early Tech which many people prefer. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Tech

Welcome to B&B!

it is my airline travel razor and i am partial to milder razors, but imo my tech blows it away in shave quality.

my point being that if you continue to experiment with your tech, some different blades, technique, etc, you may eventually be even more pleased than you are now with the BIC.

Top Bottom