What's new

Bic Sensitive - not a close shaver?

Does this razor not shave particularly close, ever?

I did a 2 pass shave today, first shave XTG one direction, second was XTG in another direction, and the shave was about on par with what I could get with an electric shaver in about a minute or two - OK and passable but not DFS. The only saving grace seems to be that this blade is comfortable and it's lasted almost two weeks, in fact once I got over the first week hurdle, the blade seemed to improve in smoothness.

I bought a package of Bic Sensitive a while back for days when time was limited. They aren't a close shaver at all. I still have a few left from the package and I use them for random things, like shaving lint off of a piece of clothing.

I bought a package of Bic Sensitive a while back for days when time was limited. They aren't a close shaver at all. I still have a few left from the package and I use them for random things, like shaving lint off of a piece of clothing.

Compared to my late (L and M) Shick injectors, they seem alot less efficient. I've gotten about the same kind of shave in one pass that I get in two with the Bic, maybe even a bit better. And that was shaving WTG.

Maybe even go ATG. I tried that under my chin a few times but sometimes it's still lousy.
I always ATG with this razor, never WTG because doesn't cut very well in that.
On first use, you have to be very careful because blade is very sharp.

Sent from my Huawei P9 Lite using Tapatalk

I have no personal experience with them but it does seem like what most of the big razor makers mean when they say 'sensitive' is slightly recessed blade which in turn means less close shave. Generalization of course but a very common theme. I do know many head shavers really like these so that could be why. In looking for a suitable replacement for the dorco twin carts my wife uses (in terms of affordability, bulk purchase capability, and lack of shave aggression she prefers) so I may have to toss a pack of these bic's her way and see.

I have no personal experience with them but it does seem like what most of the big razor makers mean when they say 'sensitive' is slightly recessed blade which in turn means less close shave. Generalization of course but a very common theme. I do know many head shavers really like these so that could be why. In looking for a suitable replacement for the dorco twin carts my wife uses (in terms of affordability, bulk purchase capability, and lack of shave aggression she prefers) so I may have to toss a pack of these bic's her way and see.

Yeah, I think the blade is recessed some.

I have somewhat sensitive skin but shaving with these is frustrating. It's far "milder" than even a Shick Type L or M. Doing a 3-4 pass shave might fly with certain DE shavers, but it's ridiculous for singe-edge razors.

I tried doing ATG and this razor just doesn't cut. No tugging, no nothing. I think it's just skimming over the hairs.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have you been missing? Either way, it's good to see you friend!

FarmerTan

I have somewhat sensitive skin but shaving with these is frustrating. It's far "milder" than even a Shick Type L or M and delivers a pretty poor shave. Doing a 3-4 pass shave might fly with certain DE shavers, but it's ridiculous for singe-edge razors.
"Frustrating" has been my experience with them as well. I need too many passes with them.

Have you been missing? Either way, it's good to see you friend!

Hello! Good to see you as well! I've been around here, just not posting with the frequency I used to. Honestly, I use a Philips Norelco oneblade for 99% of my shaves so I haven't had much to research nor contribute... But I'll still pop in from time to time. I also still catch the occasional 'experimental bug' and try something different.

I have somewhat sensitive skin but shaving with these is frustrating. It's far "milder" than even a Shick Type L or M. Doing a 3-4 pass shave might fly with certain DE shavers, but it's ridiculous for singe-edge razors.

I tried doing ATG and this razor just doesn't cut. No tugging, no nothing. I think it's just skimming over the hairs.
"Frustrating" has been my experience with them as well. I need too many passes with them.

Since you both had that same issue I would advise against trying the Gillette Skinguard. I had the same problem and stopped using it because my hairs grow so flat that I would literally have to dig into my skin to get it to cut anything.

FarmerTan

Hello! Good to see you as well! I've been around here, just not posting with the frequency I used to. Honestly, I use a Philips Norelco oneblade for 99% of my shaves so I haven't had much to research nor contribute... But I'll still pop in from time to time. I also still catch the occasional 'experimental bug' and try something different.

Since you both had that same issue I would advise against trying the Gillette Skinguard. I had the same problem and stopped using it because my hairs grow so flat that I would literally have to dig into my skin to get it to cut anything.
Thanks for the heads up! What do you think of the Oneblade? I'm tempted to go get one, as I'm a sucker for all things new and gimmicky!

Thanks for the heads up! What do you think of the Oneblade? I'm tempted to go get one, as I'm a sucker for all things new and gimmicky!

I won't lie... I love it. I don't personally own any razors any more (besides a set of sentimental hair shaper shavttes that I don't use). I was on a foil shaver kick... Threw those out. If you want the feel of a 'real' shave simply lather up and use a multi pass method. If you are in a rush simply jump right into a dry atg pass. If you are a person who always gets BBS shaves and no irritation you will hate it... It leaves a micro stubble you won't see but will slightly feel when brushing atg. It gets me 95% or more to a bbs shave but with a 95% or more reduction in ingrown hairs (used DE's for years with good products, technique, etc... My hair is just so curly and grows so flat that I get ingrowns even from not shaving) and all of that in just a few minutes. I average about 30-35 shaves per blade and usually shave every other day, if you buy 3pks onlone you can get blades as low as $11 a piece... $11 for two months of quick easy shaves with the most significant improvement to my ingrown problem I've ever had. SOLD lol. Now, if you don't always shoot for BBS or have a hair pulling stressed out non-stop problem with ingrowns (like I did) then you'll slip immediately into a comfort zone you never thought possible.

The base model is on sale on Amazon, Walmart, and Target for $25 right now or do what I did and get the "face + body" model. For a slight upcharge you are upgraded to a lith ion battery, shorter charge time, longer run time, and you can pop the blade out of the "body guard" (since I don't use it at all below my neck) to essentially get a free second blade. Even if you don't use it almost exclusively like I do, it's fantastic for those "crap, im late to the meeting but need to shave" days, recovery shaves after a rough blade shave, and cleaning up neck/ears/brows/etc in between hair cuts. If you shave your head it's absolutely the best middle ground I've found between the smoothness of a blade and the sandpaper feel of a buzz.

FarmerTan

I won't lie... I love it. I don't personally own any razors any more (besides a set of sentimental hair shaper shavttes that I don't use). I was on a foil shaver kick... Threw those out. If you want the feel of a 'real' shave simply lather up and use a multi pass method. If you are in a rush simply jump right into a dry atg pass. If you are a person who always gets BBS shaves and no irritation you will hate it... It leaves a micro stubble you won't see but will slightly feel when brushing atg. It gets me 95% or more to a bbs shave but with a 95% or more reduction in ingrown hairs (used DE's for years with good products, technique, etc... My hair is just so curly and grows so flat that I get ingrowns even from not shaving) and all of that in just a few minutes. I average about 30-35 shaves per blade and usually shave every other day, if you buy 3pks onlone you can get blades as low as $11 a piece... $11 for two months of quick easy shaves with the most significant improvement to my ingrown problem I've ever had. SOLD lol. Now, if you don't always shoot for BBS or have a hair pulling stressed out non-stop problem with ingrowns (like I did) then you'll slip immediately into a comfort zone you never thought possible.

The base model is on sale on Amazon, Walmart, and Target for $25 right now or do what I did and get the "face + body" model. For a slight upcharge you are upgraded to a lith ion battery, shorter charge time, longer run time, and you can pop the blade out of the "body guard" (since I don't use it at all below my neck) to essentially get a free second blade. Even if you don't use it almost exclusively like I do, it's fantastic for those "crap, im late to the meeting but need to shave" days, recovery shaves after a rough blade shave, and cleaning up neck/ears/brows/etc in between hair cuts. If you shave your head it's absolutely the best middle ground I've found between the smoothness of a blade and the sandpaper feel of a buzz.
Sounds great for when I'm in a rush. My son would love it I'll bet. Maybe for Christmas?

I sometimes use the Bic Sensitive or similar knockoff when I travel. To me, its just fine. I dont go for BBS anymore anyways and it gives what I would call a perfectly, "socially acceptable" shave.

Today I seem to have gotten a better shave from my Bic. It's still not the closest shaver but it's acceptable. If you go ATG or XTG it will shave quite close, maybe too close in fact, as I'm having some problems with ingrown hairs under my jawline under my ears or beside my ears on my face. Some parts of my face were even BBS.

And it's a friendly razor, after two weeks of shaving it's got no surprises and if you handle it gently, it won't bite or burn you.

Top Bottom