What's new

Bic Hybrid 2

Anybody try this system? Are the handles compatible with other cartridges? How does it compare to the Gillette Sensor?

I like the suspension system on the blades of the Sensor, but the cartridges are getting harder to find and there are cheaper ways to shave out there, so I'm looking into other long term options for my shave stash/den when I need a quick shaver.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Not yet. I have the BIC Hybrid 3 to try and then the BIC Flex 4 and Flex 5. It is just a matter of trying to fit them into the rotation of all the other razors that I have to try. Too much choice but I will get there. Sorry no help today but I am sure that it would be a good razor.

The situation for Sensor carts is getting worse, they are going for almost as much as Mach 3 carts, sometimes even more.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
The only thing that I can suggest is to keep an eye on eBay. Sometimes you will find someone who just wants to get rid of things regardless of the cost. You can be lucky but it may take some time.

I'm currently using the Flex5 Hybrid but I have a Flex2 handle and carts in the drawer ready for a trial run after my Flex5 carts are used up.

I'm currently using the Flex5 Hybrid but I have a Flex2 handle and carts in the drawer ready for a trial run after my Flex5 carts are used up.

I got the Flex 2 in the mail today. It looks like a classy semi-disposable razor. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Sensor 2.

Saw the Bic Hybrid 2 at a store, but disliked that they don't sell refills. The Sensor was the first razor I remember buying when I was first on my own. Fond memories. Local stores in my area have Atra refills and Personna Twin Pivot Plus cartridges that fit Trac II and Atra razors. Ordered a Gillette Vector razor (can use Atra carts) online and now have a backup 2 blade cartridge razor for travelling.

Well, if the Flex2 is anywhere nearly as good as the Flex5, I won't mind ordering the carts online. The only thing I don't like about the Flex5 is that the large head is a little unwieldy in tight corners and the trimmer blade doesn't quite make up for that. It's otherwise very good and I have to give props to Bic for stepping up and making an excellent cartridge razor.

So i got curious and had to try the Flex2 this morning. The razor is very light and I can feel it on my face more than the Flex5, but I wouldn't call it harsh. The blades seem to be sufficiently sharp and I only needed two passes for a DFS. I like how maneuverable it is compared to cartridges with more blades. I'll need more shaves to form a solid opinion, but it seems promising so far.

So i got curious and had to try the Flex2 this morning. The razor is very light and I can feel it on my face more than the Flex5, but I wouldn't call it harsh. The blades seem to be sufficiently sharp and I only needed two passes for a DFS. I like how maneuverable it is compared to cartridges with more blades. I'll need more shaves to form a solid opinion, but it seems promising so far.

I'm curious about the blade gap between each blade. The Sensor had a narrower gap vs. the Trac II, and that was partly because they wanted to reduce pressure on each blade.

@FireDragon76 I don't have a way to measure the gap, but the blades are pretty closely set. I don't have a Sensor or Trac II on hand to compare with, but I think the gap is the same as the Sensor or slightly smaller.

I shaved with the Bic Hybrid 2 today. The gap between the blades is significantly smaller than the Sensor, and the blades are thinner and less deep in appearance. I like the flow-through design, that's important in helping to keep soap scum off the blades. And the lube strip looks very futuristic and cool.

It's a decent razor, definitely more comfortable than shaving with the Mach 3, even if it doesn't shave as close. One pass can get you a SAS shave so it would be great if you are pressed for time but you want a milder razor. I did two passes, but my lather was a little thick so it had too much cushion and I only got a SAS.

I'll have to do a head to head comparison one of these days with the Sensor.

I have tried all of the Bic Comfort and Flex razors, and my favorite is the Flex 3. All of them are good to me. The weakness of the Flex 2 is that I find slightly more irritation with the Flex 2. It gave me a great shave, and some will like it as I think it is more aggressive than the other new Bics. It seems to have given a closer shave than the others, but I also feel the burn from it on some of my face. Putting the two blades into the same sized head gives it a lot of openness. Also, the blades are so exposed, I cut my face by doing a random move while mistakenly jamming it against my cheek while reaching for the faucet with the other hand. Again, some will like the aggressiveness. It did not have any clogging problems, even with two days growth. It also is small enough to cut will under the nose. I find the Comfort 3 cartridge to be a little too big and bulky in that regard to be great. Again, I would use any of them.

Amazon is selling pivoting twin blades, 32 for 7 bucks . I wonder how bad that can really be. The blades are made in the US. Maybe by American Safety Razor?

I'm really not liking the shaves my Bic Hybrid 2 gives as compared to a Gillette Sensor. It seems like I have to use too much pressure to get a close shave. I suspect the blades are on some kind of suspension system, similar to Sensor, but it doesn't work as well as Gillette's razor.

The blades are so close together, it really functions more like one blade, not two. I don't know if that's good or bad, but I just thought I'd offer that observation.

Another so-so shave today from Bic Hybrid 2. 2 pass shave with Proraso Sensitive soap. I think it's taking too much skin off my face, as my face is starting to feel "weathered" and irritated more often. Back to Bic Sensitive tomorrow.

Anybody try this system? Are the handles compatible with other cartridges?
I love it. I think it is a great deal if you get the pack with 10 carts for usually under $7. I have had to drive around to find Walgreens stores that have it but not more than 7 or 8 miles. Just check their website to see who has it in stock or just order online from walgreens and they will ship free to your local walgreens no matter how small the order.
I have been getting buy one get 50% off Bic Hybrids plus they have had $3 off coupons. So the price per cart is great with these deals.
I think it shaves great as long as you dont use much pressure at all. I have gotten more than 7 shaves at least and am still on the first cart.
The Flex Hybrids 2 thru 4 have a common docking system. I have them all but have only tried the 2. The handles for the 2 and 3 are identical only a different color, and are all plastic. Identical handle to the Comfort 3 hybrid only that handle is mostly orange.
The 4 has a slightly nicer handle because it is partly rubber, but the pivot is not as smooth because of the design. I put a 4 cart on a 2 handle and the pivot is great though I havent used it to shave yet. I think that is why the 4 has gotten bad reviews around the internet.

The 5, which I also have but havent tried, has a very subtle difference in the handle and cart so the 2 thru 4 carts will not fit on it. It has a smooth pivot though and seems to be a favorite of many.

Bic Flex Hybrid 2 are OK; I buy them 3carts w 1 handle for $1
Thats certainly a good deal. I know that config is avail since I have seen them on ebay. The stores near me only have the 10 pack, and the bic site doesnt have a direct link to the Flex 2 but the page does exist on the site if you google it. I bought 10 packs of 10 because I have a feeling it will be discontinued soon, though that is pure conjecture on my part. It seems like a waste to include a handle with just 3 carts though. Even with 10. Though plastic, it is not cheap looking and could probably last a long time.

Top Bottom