What's new

Bic Disposables

I have never tried one but on websites such as Amazon they seem to get negative reviews in terms of shave quality. However, how do they fare when used with a quality cream or soap instead of a foam or gel?

Yes, those ones. I thought this might have been the case. People are so used to the excellent moisturizer strips and pivoting heads of the modern cartridge razors that the don't realize that different techniques and products work best for double edged razors and perhaps also the Bic disposals.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I use the BIC Metals when travelling. They are great. The difference you have to remember is that they weigh nothing, so you have to use pressure. Those of us who gravitate toward heavier handles (like me) need to really adjust their technique because you have to use considerable pressure with these weightless razors ... but then they are the best alternative to a DE around, IMO. Normal 3-pass shave just like with a DE.

I use them when traveling. They work well with brush and soap/cream. I can only get two shaves out of them, after that they get harsh (probably why they get bad reviews).
Overall, I do recommend them to those that carry-on when traveling by air.

SE Bic, thats what my father gave me back in 1981. Yellow / orange handle, single blade. Back then a lethal weapon on my youthful fuzzy face. More weepers then skin un-cut, but hey! I was shaving there fore a man :mellow:

I found that switching during a recent vacation was not a wise move for me. Maybe it was technique, but I got pretty bad irritation from using a Bic (the other products involved were my usual wetshaving goodies). I also think my skin is softer than it was when I used multiblades regularly with pressure applied (it used to feel somewhat leathery, but not anymore). So now I have a leather razor case, travel brush, and a stick of Arko for our upcoming beach trip.

I have used the BIC sensitive disposables while experimenting with cheaper ways to shave than cartridges (this was before my DE days started). I used a lot of knowledge gained from watching DE shaving videos and adapted it to shave with the BIC.

All I can say is I hate them and will never use one again if I can help it. My face was on fire and cut all over the place. I still have some upstairs and will only ever use them if theres literally no other option and its an emergency.

I recently use a BIC Sensitive disposable for a couple shaves to see if they were really that bad. I had used them years ago, before I knew how to shave properly with a blade.

I got two of the best shaves of my life from that razor. As close to BBS as I can get. Zero irritation.

By properly preparing the beard, not going over the same are multiple time w/o lather, and paying attention to proper blade angle (which the head design makes it easy to do, probably easier than a DE), the BIC shaved like a hot knife through butter. In fact, using the BIC helped me refine my DE technique to get less irritation.

Interesting thread with many divergent views.

Previously tried the BIC disposables only on trips -- provided as close a shave as DE.

Stopped using my slant and feather and exclusively use the BIC. 5-7 shaves are possible.

Still requires proper beard prep and shave angles. The result is a comparable de shave in less time.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I happen to use
proxy.php
sensitive single-blade (yellow), disposables for my weekly head shaving routine for speed and convenience and actually get a BBS head shave (Yeah Baby!!!), without any problems, nicks and bumps.
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Don't ask the barber whether you need a [head shave]...". Daniel S. Greenberg

Not recommended. Will only give you on decent shave, whereas most double edge blades give you at least 2 more comfortable & close shaves. I can guarantee that I'll never use a Bic again.
I do recommend Bic pens as they are very useful and cheap.

I've had mixed results. A couple of times I've gotten a bbs with no irritation, but I've also butchered my face with the bics using the same technique.

I've only used a BIC once about fifteen years ago (by which I mean I used it until it wore out), but I can still remember picking it up and looking at it like it was a turd because it only had one blade instead of three. I certainly changed my mind when I started to use it though, I remember realizing that the shave was a lot better than the mach 3 and being very surprised at that fact. I never switched over to them, mostly because they were harder to find than the ubiquitous mach3 razors that every single supermarket checkout lane pushed in your face.

If I were ever to be traveling and need a disposable razor, I would go for the bic every time if the option were available, even if I hadn't gotten into DE shaving. It made that much of an impression on me

Last edited:
I recently use a BIC Sensitive disposable for a couple shaves to see if they were really that bad. I had used them years ago, before I knew how to shave properly with a blade.

I got two of the best shaves of my life from that razor. As close to BBS as I can get. Zero irritation.

By properly preparing the beard, not going over the same are multiple time w/o lather, and paying attention to proper blade angle (which the head design makes it easy to do, probably easier than a DE), the BIC shaved like a hot knife through butter. In fact, using the BIC helped me refine my DE technique to get less irritation.

+1. This was exactly my experience with this razor as well. It's the razor I use away from home.

the yellow/orange handle BIC's that everyone is describing tore my face up as a teenager. Razor burn, nicks, cuts galore! Never ever again!!!
Thank God i had some CLUBMAN back in the late 80's to burn that skin back to tip top shape!

I believe I have tried every style BIC razor offered thru the 70's-90's. Never had good luck with any of them. I had much better luck with the Gillette MicroTrac and later the Schick Slim Twin razors when traveling.

Top Bottom