What's new

BIC Chromium Platinum

I never tried the BIC,but I suspect that all of these Super Platinum Chrome blades are same/similar and made by Personna. The brands would include Walmart Personnas, Dollar General Store Personnas, Red IPs and Crystals. Just a hunch b/c they have all been good, smooth and durable blades (at least 4 shaves per blade in the appropriate razor).

I never tried the BIC,but I suspect that all of these Super Platinum Chrome blades are same/similar and made by Personna. The brands would include Walmart Personnas, Dollar General Store Personnas, Red IPs and Crystals. Just a hunch b/c they have all been good, smooth and durable blades (at least 4 shaves per blade in the appropriate razor).
reds are sweet , they are my first ones,

I got a pack of 5 of these in a samlper from WCS and finally tried one this morning in my R41. Not impressed at all.

Have a pack, just haven't gotten around to try them. I went ape s^&t with blade sample I have about 20 different sample pack of different manufacturers and still buying.:blink:

I got a pack of BICs as part of a sample pack from WCS. IMO, I like the BICs above the Astra SP, Derby Extra, and Merkur. I'd rate them slightly ahead of the red IPs. Crystal, Gillette yellows, and Feathers yet to be tested.

I've used them regularly for the past four years or so. I find them very satisfactory - one blade lasts five or six shaves. On a par with Gillette Blacks.

By comparison to the available blades on the South African supermarket shelves, the BIC Chrome platinum are pretty decent blades, giving me 3 - 4 shaves. However, nowhere near as smooth the Astra SP's which I tried the other day after someone sent me two packs from abroad.

These blades were among the first few brands that I tried after converting to DE shaving and up until very recently I would have said they were vying with SuperMax Super Stainless for the honour of being the worst blade I'd tried. They were then left to sit in the back of a drawer for several months until a couple of weeks ago when I decided to give them another try and I was surprised to get four good shaves from them. I don't know what changed in all that time they'd been shut away in the dark but they had improved drastically.

Tried these today. Not impressed. 4 weepers, felt lots of skipping, did not give a close comfortable shave at all. I will try again tomorrow.

How strange. I've used them successfully in HD and a Fasan Slant in the past. Then I tried one Saturday in a Slim (on 3) and it tore me to pieces. My neck was a war zone- nicks everywhere and burned up!
Not as consistent a performer? However, I was away from home and perhaps the stars were just not aligned.
Mike

I was surprised and pleased with the performance of this blade. Had some issues with ingrown hairs with it at first, but found that the Progress likes them and eliminated this problem for me.

These blades tend to tug and pull against my beard no matter 1st/2nd shave. Can't stand it, cut my face up pretty bad. I bought too many of them I don't know what to do with it, at the moment my favorites are Feather and Supermax Super Stainless.

Tossed in a 5-pack with an order just to try and have only used one so far. Very smooth, minimal irritation, but couldn't seem to get as close as with other blades, that cost less. Jury is still out, but I like the smoothness.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Terrible for my face. i'm doing a blade test to see what works best for me and so far out of (only) 3 blades these are the worst. i've used Astra SP, and Feathers. I couldn't even finish the shave, i had to finish with an Astra SP. and the blade wrapping looks more like a gum wrapper. won't be using these again, straight to the blade bank. YMMV

Top Bottom