What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum

I find I have to watch the angle on that slant a bit more than with other blades, there is plenty of blade exposure and the wrong angle and too much pressure result in a very rough shave with a fresh blade. Works better after a dozen or so shaves for me.

I find I have to watch the angle on that slant a bit more than with other blades, there is plenty of blade exposure and the wrong angle and too much pressure result in a very rough shave with a fresh blade. Works better after a dozen or so shaves for me.

It's a fairly mild slant, I've used it with Feathers for a while without issues. You must be thinking of Wunderbar? This was related neither to the soap nor to the razor, as I've used both extensively before. And I've used Bic blades at least twice before in Parker Variant which, set to 3.5, is far more aggressive, and it was completely ordinary experience. So I must have got a bad blade.

I think it's the RazorRock one, it was on eBay. I have a German Bakelite slant I've not used yet, it as far more blade torque and looks rather aggressive.

Bic blades are sharp (at least the cartridge ones anyway, haven't tried a DE one yet), and sharp blades in aggressive razors can be irritating. I tend to get weepers for the first six or eight shaves on an edge, have a bad habit of applying too much pressure.

I think it's the RazorRock one, it was on eBay. I have a German Bakelite slant I've not used yet, it as far more blade torque and looks rather aggressive.

Bic blades are sharp (at least the cartridge ones anyway, haven't tried a DE one yet), and sharp blades in aggressive razors can be irritating. I tend to get weepers for the first six or eight shaves on an edge, have a bad habit of applying too much pressure.

I am using Feathers in that Razorock, in Parker Variant set to 3.5, and in Maggard V3A, all without any issues.

I also used Bic in the past with no issues.

I think the problem was with that particular blade.

So I did.

Monday, 1st shave, using Razorock German 37 slant and Arko soap, a great, smooth clean shave.

This morning, same blade (2nd shave), same razor, Soap Commander Honor soap. This time it was like shaving with a piece of rusty barbed wire. Completely irritated my throat with a few persistent weepers. No idea what went wrong here. I don’t usually have it that bad.
I got many tucks of the BIC blades on sqle for dirt cheap awhile back. I (surprise) like them a lot in milder razors such as a Tech or a SLOC.

For the German 37, I would not use them in it. Something like a Personna Red works well in that one. Even a (gasp) Derby works well in that one. The German 37 excels in putting meh blades to good use.

Could very well be a bad blade. I had a Dorco Prime start snagging bits off my face, turned out to have a small crack in the edge that would open up. Worked fine except for randomly grabbing on and yanking bits off my face!

A slant does wonders for "duller" blades I've found, doubles the life of things like Derby Premiums or Rapira Super Stainless.

Could very well be a bad blade. I had a Dorco Prime start snagging bits off my face, turned out to have a small crack in the edge that would open up. Worked fine except for randomly grabbing on and yanking bits off my face!...

Dorco bad QC I can believe, but Bic no. Look at their state of the art plant:

This is only a theory, I think that due to the very small amount of wax that BIC uses to hold the blade in place in the wrapper, depending on whether the pack had a rough travel it can also give you a rough shave, I think that when the blade moves around inside the wrapper it gets dull.

I had my first go with a Bic Platinum this morning. it was a rough, really tuggy shave. I think I am mostly to blame though. I have been sick the past couple of days and hadn't shaved. Still feeling crappy today, I think my prep was off. Also still a bit achy. You know when your sick and have body aches to where even your skin kind of hurts? Anyway, not feeling like loading a new blade, I finished off with my go to Bic Sensitive disposable, and finished very comfortably.

To make a long story longer, i will revisit the platinum this weekend when I feel better and see if it was all me, or if the blades are to blame.

I've used a single Bic for about my last 7 or so shaves (which is 21+ passes). I'm very pleased with it. I had low expectations (because it's not talked about that much), but rank it up with my current other favourites, which are Gillette platinum, and feather.

I had my first go with a Bic Platinum this morning. it was a rough, really tuggy shave. I think I am mostly to blame though. I have been sick the past couple of days and hadn't shaved. Still feeling crappy today, I think my prep was off. Also still a bit achy. You know when your sick and have body aches to where even your skin kind of hurts? Anyway, not feeling like loading a new blade, I finished off with my go to Bic Sensitive disposable, and finished very comfortably.

To make a long story longer, i will revisit the platinum this weekend when I feel better and see if it was all me, or if the blades are to blame.
That is how I feel it, always

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Dorco bad QC I can believe, but Bic no. Look at their state of the art plant:

I find their carts and disposables to work well. Their DE blades are another story for me. The only razor I've been able to use the Bic DE blade is my Focus Dynamic 48. It takes 1/2 of the broken blade. I call the Focus Dynamic the great equalizer. All blades feel the same - decent in it. Nothing sucks, nothing stands above the rest. It's as if all are equal.

I like the BICs in a Tech. I want to try them in a Fatip next but you folks have got me worried now. :lol1:

How can people have such totally opposite opinions about the same blade? Really odd...

I had a thick course beard and i found them really sharp and smooth with all my razors. An excellent blade for me...

Top Bottom