What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum

I have not had much luck with BIC blades. I used one that dragged and felt rough. I tried another, then another, then another - same thing.

I'm done with them.

Yes, I was thinking that maybe I was more focused the first time I tried a Feather but the second attempt was so bad, it just didn’t make sense. Maybe it was a bad blade...or maybe I was very sloppy. I will give them another go but I’m not highly motivated to make Feathers work for me, I must admit. They’re one of the more expensive blades available and they have a reputation for losing their edge quite quickly. Having said that, I can get 100 of them for $14 here.
Feathers are my go-to blade. I love 'em. Yeah, they may be comparatively expensive (in relation to cheaper blades), but in absolute costs they are cheap in terms of shaving as a hobby. So I have no complaints. I usually get two shaves, one from each side of the DE blade, then toss them. There's nothing sharper or closer shaving, in my book.

I’ve used them quite a few tries. To me, they are quite a different blade on shave 3 than shave 1. In addition to the refinedshave.com info, there is scanning electron microscope data on blades. Feathers are extremely unique metallurgically. They are in a completely different realm when it comes to carbon content of the steel used. If I remember they are at 17% when no one else gets past 14%. When it comes to alloys, that’s a huge difference. High carbon means hard. Hard means capable of easily taking an edge. Easily taking an edge equals easily losing an edge. So when people consistently say Feathers dull fast, I would say that it appears to be the design trade-off consciously made by the manufacturer.
Yeah, but that first shave can be God-like! :thumbup:

I don’t think Feathers demand any more care shave 1. On the contrary, they are a very easy driver. If your hone is good, sharper is always better/safer. That is why in work places with cutting tools they stress keeping tools sharp. Less effort equals less goof-ups.
I'm not just speaking of shave one. Feathers, in general, demand a bit more attention than some other blades. They can bite more easily.

Got three shaves on one, they aren't for me guys. First shave was in my standard test razor, a gillette tech. After the first pass I thought wow this is quite a nice blade then I rinsed & looked in the mirror, weepers all over my neck, had to stop at two passes. Second shave was in my black beauty on setting 3 Same thing again loads of weepers but with added irritation this time. Third shave was in my wilkinson sword classic, same thing, weepers & irritation galore. It got binned after this one. This might have been a dud blade but for now I'll move onto my next ones. Finally got my hands on some Med preps & nos polsilvers.
I agree. I have tried it in a Rockwell 6c and got 2.4 shaves out of a blade and a lot of weepers and discomfort. That was a while ago.
Today I thought I'd try it in my Piccolo and got a rough uncomfortable shave together with more weepers than I have ever had from a blade. Blade binned.
I'm beginning to see a pattern here....

I've tried them a while ago and for me they're a middle of the road blade - not the best, but also not the worst and they get the job done. I've heard some people saying that Bic Platinums are as sharp as Feathers, which I find hard to believe, but as always - ymmv.

Yes, the ol' YMMV strikes again! I bought a tuck of these in the late Spring and they worked so well in my razors that I bought a 100 pack when I had one blade left in the tuck! Can't speak to the Feather comparison, as the tuck of Feathers in my drawer is unopened due to lack of moral courage on my part!

I enjoy reading the reviews, and trying to parse out how the blade would work for me. I agree with some and not with others. I fear the angry, torch-bearing mob if I speak of the beloved Astra SPs. Tried in several razors and tried with more experience than earlier uses, and never a good blade for me. Thank goodness you can try a tuck of anything for less than a fiver, whereas several years back, when I was looking for a better, less irritating shave, a pack of four or five carts could set you back ten bucks!

The negative results described by some users of the BIC is the exact experience I get with Nacets. For me the BIC is a wonderful stress free blade that gives a predictably good shave.

Yes, the ol' YMMV strikes again! I bought a tuck of these in the late Spring and they worked so well in my razors that I bought a 100 pack when I had one blade left in the tuck! Can't speak to the Feather comparison, as the tuck of Feathers in my drawer is unopened due to lack of moral courage on my part!

I enjoy reading the reviews, and trying to parse out how the blade would work for me. I agree with some and not with others. I fear the angry, torch-bearing mob if I speak of the beloved Astra SPs. Tried in several razors and tried with more experience than earlier uses, and never a good blade for me. Thank goodness you can try a tuck of anything for less than a fiver, whereas several years back, when I was looking for a better, less irritating shave, a pack of four or five carts could set you back ten bucks!

YMMV and all that, but I also don’t understand the Astra SP love. I tried and never clicked. As for trying blades, you can even go less than 5 using tryablade.com. With flat shipping you have to be smart about it, but it’s a great place if you want to try 4-5 different blades for a quick check. I bought a bunch of blades at 2 each, then narrowed down after trying each and ordered tucks if ones I like.

I have a pack as part of a sampler pack, and I have yet to try it. I hope it's going to be a good one. I am very curious as it seems to be a very polarizing blade with great and terrible reviews. I am from France so I need to give French shaving a try, with Martin de Candre soap and BIC blade...

Great blade my top five, along with Personna platinum, Dorco Prime Platinum, 7 o’clock black super platinum, Feather.

In my case, I struggle with how to deal with judging “sharpness” in rating my shaves. I’ve completed a period of blade evaluations to try to find another blade worthy of a 100 purchase. Monday I’m starting a lathering product testing period. In doing so I decided to log each shave experience. I’ve logged ~90 shaves. I’ve tested about 20 blades in that time.

I ended up not recording a sharpness judgment in my logs. It ends up impacting what I do end up judging. I judge efficiency; how much touch-up needed to get to closeness I want. I also record forgiveness depending on whether I have any visible blood after cold rinse, or bleeding alum takes care of, or if I have to pull out the styptic stick. I judge smoothness based on tugging feel on ATG pass. I judge how long into the day I stay DFS or better for closeness. Then I also judge post-Shave look/feel based on redness or burn. All those are impacted by sharpness, but I make no attempt to just isolate sharpness as an attribute judged by my face. Sure, I’ll give you my opinion of sharpness for Derby vs Feather, but I’ll hesitate to tell you Voskhod vs Rapira Platinum Lux.
Please post your reviews as Id like to read them.

I just posted this on another Bic thread.
I'm trying some new blades & last night I had the worst shave of my entire life using Bic Chrome Platinum. Felt like I was shaving with broken glass. Like I said in the other thread I plan to revisit these blades again but not from this same 5 pack! These blades have to be defective! They can't be this bad.

I tried Bics back when my blade of choice was ASP. I remember that I really liked them, but not enough to persuade me to switch from the cheaper ASP. That "wow" factor came when I tried Feather.

Thinking of it, I should give Bic another try.

So I did.

Monday, 1st shave, using Razorock German 37 slant and Arko soap, a great, smooth clean shave.

This morning, same blade (2nd shave), same razor, Soap Commander Honor soap. This time it was like shaving with a piece of rusty barbed wire. Completely irritated my throat with a few persistent weepers. No idea what went wrong here. I don’t usually have it that bad.

Top Bottom