What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum

BIC Chrome Platinum blades don't seem particularly popular in the wet shaving community, but I tried one this week (Rockwell 6S s/#6 plate is my daily razor), and I'm getting amazingly close and comfortable shaves with it. At this rate, they may become my favorite blade over GSB's and Voshkods. Anyone else get great results with the BIC's (and in which razors)?

I had a really great shave with a Bic in the RazoRock Mamba. Yesterday was my third shave on the blade and was so smooth and sharp still. No excessive wax on the blades is a bonus.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
BIC Chrome Platinum blades don't seem particularly popular in the wet shaving community....

They don't seem to be in the spotlight as often as some other brands, but when they are mentioned, they seem to get more positive comments than negative in my opinion. I don't have any personal experience with them.

Anyone else get great results with the BIC's (and in which razors)?
Yep! :001_smile
upload_2018-7-17_23-49-18.png

A very nice blade. Sharp and smooth. I've only used it in a Fatip OC but I find that blades I like are usually just fine in any of my razors.

They are my current favorite and have been for a couple of years now. I have on hand about 600 of them because I am so impressed with them. I have many vintage Gillettes and the Bic Chrome performs well in all of them. It is a perfect match for my Old Types, especially my thin caps which are my daily drivers.

I have some, will test them sometime in the next decade or so.

I did use BIC cartridges there at the last, they were the only ones that lasted a decent amount of time and were the most comfortable. I suspect the blades are made on the same machinery, so the DE blades should be good too.

My favorite blade, picked up 200 more for just $15 here in Cambodia. Per refinedshave dot com objective tests the sharpest blade on the market after two shaves.
proxy.php

Excellent blade.
I use them in my Gillette fat handle Tech with great results every time. Can get about 7-8 shaves out of them.
I did however use a Bic Platinum in a Gillette long comb NEW and I found it to be a harsh shave. In my opinion I think they work great in mild razors.

They’re a great blade that flies under the radar, and one of the only 2 non-Gillette blades I would even consider as a replacement for my favorite Russian made Gillettes.

Just want to report that I had my sixth excellent shave today with the same BIC blade. I'm mildly shocked -- I have to say this is the best blade I've ever used (at 13 cents/blade), and I've tried dozens over the years. I'm buying bulk...

I've used a Bic Chrome Platinum today for the very first time after reading this thread. It's quite sharp indeed and I've read it becomes even sharper. I've felt it a little rough in my Razorock Open Comb though.

I used one in a NEW and in a Slim, and had 7-8 great shaves in each (I tend to go a week then replace the blade). Now I may have to pop one into my Karve and see how that goes!

Second shave today with a Bic Chrome Platinum. I was aware the blade would have become ultra sharp so for good measure I used a mild razor, the Maggard V3, Stirling Executive Man Soap and Razorock Plissoft brush.
Great first pass but the second one XTG left some weepers and irritation.

This is the website that motivated me to try BICs in the first place. Coming out of the wrapper, the BICs are third in sharpness of 32 tested, behind Feathers (#1) and Nacets (#2).

As for performance, we all know that the razor is a big variable (as is lather quality).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the website that motivated me to try BICs in the first place. Coming out of the wrapper, the BICs are third in sharpness of 32 tested, behind Feathers (#1) and Nacets (#2).

As for performance, we all know that the razor is a big variable (as is lather quality).

I like the idea of quantitative testing, but I question his methodology and results. I give the guy a lot of credit for all of his measurements, though. It's not easy and no one else has done it. However, I've seen that site mentioned now and then as if it's all true without any challenge.

How does he maintain a consistent tension in the test media? Even if the tension is consistent, that doesn't mean that the results truly represent sharpness, at least how we perceive it in real-world conditions when cutting hair on skin. According to the results, a Derby Extra is almost as sharp as a Feather after one use. Really? I'm supposed to believe that? Personal experience in real-world conditions of cutting hair on the face with those blades in different razors says otherwise. Am I alone on this? Also, according to those quantitative test results, the BIC is significantly sharper than the Astra SP, so much so that after one use, the BIC becomes sharper and as sharp as a Feather right out of the wrapper. Really? I don't think so. Again, personal real-world experience says otherwise.

According to our experienced user survey data, the BIC is almost as sharp as an Astra SP:

Comprehensive Double-Edge (DE) Razor Blade Data Table

Personal opinions vary, of course, but I trust our qualitative survey data from experienced users more than that quantitative data that does not come from real-world conditions and might stem from a flawed methodology and interpretation. There are a lot of oddities in that test data.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you're right, even if quantitative testing were flawless, it's still only one indicator of how well a blade may work for someone. With all the personal variables -- razor used, soap chemistry, face topography, beard density, hair softness/brittleness, skin condition, water pH, the weather... -- in the end the only way to find blades that work great is trial and error. Probably few things in life better illustrate than shaving the old saying, "One man's pleasure is another man's pain." All part of the fun...

Top Bottom