What's new

Bic chrome platinum vs feather blades!!

literally could not be more untrue
I have one derby extra that I was let know to give a try from tryablade. It was very incouraging to give derby a try as one of my top picks. I guess that person on b&b who wrote to me knew what they were talking about. Funny how that works. I still know bic is my go to for my next order soon.

No comparison. Bics are about as sharp as Derbys.
No, they are worse. At least a Derby cuts hair without pulling. Maybe I got a bad batch, but these are absolutely the worst blades I’ve ever used. I remember trying them years ago and it was so so and inconsistent. The batch I recently bought is unusable. If anyone wants my 90+ blades, just pay shipping and i’ll send them to you. Honestly, I wouldn’t wish these on anyone.

Bics don't impress me for sharpness or smoothness. On my face, they are not the worst but far from the best. I've never wanted to test their durability.

Thanks for sharing, I read most of the article on bic blades. I am not sure who wrote this article, very informative. And I did not read this article before putting up this thread, just to be clear!

Hey Steve, I read about them, tried them and found out l really love em.

No, they are worse. At least a Derby cuts hair without pulling. Maybe I got a bad batch, but these are absolutely the worst blades I’ve ever used. I remember trying them years ago and it was so so and inconsistent. The batch I recently bought is unusable. If anyone wants my 90+ blades, just pay shipping and i’ll send them to you. Honestly, I wouldn’t wish these on anyone.

I get that and there are many comments about how awful they were and it could be bad qc but the batch I got is perfect for me. I feel the same about astra sp. I have 250 of the worse blades for me lol.

Bics don't impress me for sharpness or smoothness. On my face, they are not the worst but far from the best. I've never wanted to test their durability.

YMMV indeed, but we all have our preferred blades. For me BICs work best in aggressive razors like the GC84, I got a meh shave in a mild tech.

IME, BICs are excellent blades. While not a sharp as Feathers I would put them in the same ballpark. On a scale of 1-10 with Feathers as 10, I would place BIC around 7-8 with Derbys around 4-5. For me Feathers last around 3 shaves and BIC can handle a few more but my habit is no more than 3 shaves per blade, no matter the blade.

First, let me state that I have a very tough, coarse beard. Thus, I like very sharp blades. However, my skin is very easily irritated, so I cannot tolerate a rough blade.

My experience with Feather's is that they are sharper than any other blade out of the wrapper. However, they quickly become rough. My first two shaves with a Feather are excellent, but part way through the third shave, the blade becomes so rough that I cannot complete the shave without discomfort. Considering the cost of Feather blades, only getting two good shaves is not economical. I plan to use up the remaining Feathers in my den in a mild razor for the clean-up pass after a three-pass shave. That way, they will last a while longer.

BIC Chrome Platinum, along with Gillette Nacets, 7 O'Clock Blacks, Personna Israeli Reds, German Wilkinson Swords, and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 are my favorite blades. They are not as sharp as Feathers out of the wrapper, but they do provide better shaves for me over the coarse of 3-4 shaves. I rarely try to push blades beyond four days.

I have just purchased some Gillette PermaSharp Super blades to see how they compare against the others. I have heard they are quite sharp, but I do not know if they will be smooth enough for my skin. If they prove successful, I will add them to my favorites list.

I'm sticking with just one and that's bic. There is so many reasons behind why we do things with buying our toys, and most of it is based on emotion I can't stress that out enough. With saying that I buy my toys on majority emotions like razors, soaps, blades, brushes. And some has to do with our experience in life. And then some here on this site it's in there blood. I can be easily read, I just find it easier to say why I do/say/buy. But I cannot here! Anyway apparently my thoughts and ideas are unrealistic. I still do not completely understand this site, other than buying great toys imho. I'm simply a blogger and really enjoy this site, once again even though I do not completely understand this site the do the do not. I could do more reading on this site, I am not an investigating type of person really!

I've never tried them, but it could be interesting. Back when I started out, my technique wasn't good enough to properly evaluate a blade; might be time to visit or revisit some different brands and see if I find something I like as well as Feathers.

I also find the BICs better. By the second shave they're basically as sharp as the feather's first shave. The feather doesn't last nearly as long either. Although I don't have the skill to use it yet. It cut the hell out of me the last time xD

I do not know anything about Nacets, as have not tried them. Did not do any reading on bic blades until I used the one blade that I had used twice. And found bic razor blades to be nearly as sharp, or as sharp, much more smoother, a much cleaner blade when rinsing ( no skin cells or soap residue ) than feathers. Nacets may be a better alternative as ymmv everybody here. I am happier with bic blades and think it just seems to get the job done better than feathers for my face. Now after using bic I did do some research and found some interesting information on the web, one article claims they are sharper than feathers. I don't know, but I do seem to like a close shave every time. I used Wilkinson sword soap the first shave with my CH2 synthetic, I could not believe the shave I got with this combo using bic, second shave used a fresh half blade everything the same except used proraso soap with pro boar brush with same results. No nicks nor cuts of any sort as well as my technique has progressed. I have tried about only 7-8 different blades and bic comes on top for me. I have to say i really like a clean environment when shaving including the razor blade looking like new after I used it. Even though I toss it next day and replace blade for my shavette. I just do not feel like replacing a dirty blade after I just shaved, just not my way. As of the longevity of bic blades is unknown to me, I'm thinking 3-5 shaves max I would use them in my de razors in that manor. Even though people here may get less or more shaves. The max I will go is 5 anyway with de razor or shavette.
I finished shave # 19 on a Bic Chrome platinum this morning. It was a 9/10 after 18 consecutive 10/10 shaves.
I found the blade to be feather sharp out of the wrapper and for the first 5 shaves very similar to a feather.
From that point forward the blade smoothed out for the rest of my shaves. My experience is that it is a Feather with "longer legs" . This blade has moved into my Apex blade group along with Polsilver,Nascent,and Permasharp

Just a quick follow-up note to my earlier post. I have had two shaves with my Gillette Perma-Sharp Super. The first shave was nearly as sharp as a Feather, but the blade was a little rough. I got some minor irritation which applying the witch hazel, but not enough to be a concern. I got a BBS shave. On the second shave, the blade was every sharper and smoother than on the first shave. Thus, this blade in now firmly entrenched in my list of favorites. However, it will not supplant BIC and Nacets.

I used it in a DE89. My next step is to see if I can use the Perma-Sharp in even more aggressive razors without irritation. I think it will work in my Karve D-plate, but I doubt it is smooth enough for a Muhle R41.

Bic is a great blade, sharp straight out of the wrapper, no need to wear the coating off like in many Gillette made blades.
It is not as rough as feather blade.

Heard a lot of Nacet praise , bought 100, they pretty much sit unused . Prefer the BIC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Same thing happened to me. I used 4 so far and every one of them cut a little better than Astra SP(SPs barely cut my hair). I bought some Gillette Sharp Edges recently and I love those blades.

Top Bottom