What's new

Bic Chrome Platinum vs Bic Astor

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I've had zero luck with Bic Chrome Platinum blades...tried to use them three times and every time it was like using a half sharpened shaving implement. There was more tugging than cutting. Each time I had to take out the blade and replace it to finish the shave. That having been said, I did have a couple of Bic Astor blades that I used and liked very much. They're not easy to find...they're not on Amazon US, but I would buy them if I could find a good source.

It's hard to believe that these two blades come from the same source. Please feel free to post your experience with one or both of these blades.

Razor blades club used to stock them, probably still does. Was always curious about those. I’ve had great and bad experiences with Bic chrome.

JCarr

Razor blades club used to stock them, probably still does. Was always curious about those. I’ve had great and bad experiences with Bic chrome.
Thanks for the tip. Just found their website and they still do carry the Astor. Appreciate the help!

JCarr

If you want to buy Astors in 100s, I have a source on The Bay that was cheaper than the Chrome Platinums.

Thanks. Sure, you can post it. Razor Blades Club is $14.95 for 100. They charge $2.99 shipping.

The Astors shave similar to the BIC Chrome Platinum for me, I'm surprised to hear you liked the Astors without also liking the Chrome Platinum. Maybe you got some bum blades. I got my Chrome Platinums from Gifts & Care in Spain, so they should be the real deal. My Astors came from RBC.

JCarr

The Astors shave similar to the BIC Chrome Platinum for me, I'm surprised to hear you liked the Astors without also liking the Chrome Platinum. Maybe you got some bum blades. I got my Chrome Platinums from Gifts & Care in Spain, so they should be the real deal. My Astors came from RBC.

Yeah, I'm perplexed also. I read so many good things from lots of members. And, truth be known, my face gets along with most blades.

JCarr

I got them from Noahsark12 for a fair bit cheaper than that! Also check his other listings, I got some other ones too...

Ordered! Yes, that seller had them for $11 free shipping. Pretty good deal for a sharp blade. Thanks.

I used an Astor for the first time last night and it's a blade that requires a light touch. It was very very sharp, also smooth and comfortable, but I had a lot of feedback from the alum all over my face. I ended up with a lot of weepers under my chin and on my neck, but I'm blaming the user for those. With a lighter touch I think this could be a very good blade.

From what I remember the Chrome Platinum was similar but a little more forgiving and not quite as sharp as the Astor. I haven't used one in about 6 months, so maybe I should do a back to back test of the two of them.

I find the sharpness of both blades to be somewhat similar, but the Astor feels a bit harsh and I guess I have to use it only in mild and smooth razors otherwise I find it terrible. The Chrome Platinum on other hand is much more comfortable and I have no problem using the blade in pretty much all of my razors, which is why I considered to be a superior blade and my second favorite after the Nacet.

I used an Astor for the first time last night and it's a blade that requires a light touch. It was very very sharp, also smooth and comfortable, but I had a lot of feedback from the alum all over my face. I ended up with a lot of weepers under my chin and on my neck, but I'm blaming the user for those. With a lighter touch I think this could be a very good blade.

From what I remember the Chrome Platinum was similar but a little more forgiving and not quite as sharp as the Astor. I haven't used one in about 6 months, so maybe I should do a back to back test of the two of them.
I'm eager to hear your results if you do back-to-back tests. Maybe someone can do one of the challenges they have on here and send a few Astors around for people to compare to the Chrome Platinums.

I always refer to the Astor as a CP on shave two or three out of the package. I have the same experience, the shave is so smooth and fast. But my skin can only handle two fast passes and no extra. It can also depend on the razor, a Tech can be used ATG without chatter because the blade is so sharp. Even that requires some care!

I'm eager to hear your results if you do back-to-back tests. Maybe someone can do one of the challenges they have on here and send a few Astors around for people to compare to the Chrome Platinums.
Maybe I'll do a back-to-back test in a couple weeks. I still have a few more new blades to get through from my last delivery.

I had my 2nd shave with this Astor blade last night and it was not as sharp (but still plenty sharp!) but just as smooth and comfortable. My experience so far is that Astor is a great blade from the 2nd shave onwards.

These blades are very similar (or at least they should be if not duds or fakes).

A BIC representative in Greece had told me that the Astors are intended for the Greek market and the CPs for the international market and they are the same blade, but that does not seem to be the case based on the pics and user experience (although I cannot tell them apart personally).

These blades are very similar (or at least they should be if not duds or fakes).

A BIC representative in Greece had told me that the Astors are intended for the Greek market and the CPs for the international market and they are the same blade, but that does not seem to be the case based on the pics and user experience (although I cannot tell them apart personally).

I couldn't believe that for a second.

The astor were not at all sharp and very tuggy.

The chrome platinum are just amazingly sharp and super smooth! But need to be respected due to their ultra sharp nature.

The CP also have what looks like a double bevel (to the naked eye), like feather blades. The astor didn't seem to have that.

I used to think they were the same razor/different packaging as I couldn't tell them apart in my EJ 86 or Techs. But in my FaTip the BIC Chrome Platinum feels smoother than the Astor. YMMV!

Reactions: nav
I've had zero luck with Bic Chrome Platinum blades...tried to use them three times and every time it was like using a half sharpened shaving implement. There was more tugging than cutting. Each time I had to take out the blade and replace it to finish the shave. That having been said, I did have a couple of Bic Astor blades that I used and liked very much. They're not easy to find...they're not on Amazon US, but I would buy them if I could find a good source.

It's hard to believe that these two blades come from the same source. Please feel free to post your experience with one or both of these blades.
That describes my first experience with the Bic Chrome.

I also have Bic Astor blades that I will try, but the Chrome was like trying to shave with a piece of broken pottery.
Very odd, given that it's supposed to be at essentially a Feather level of sharpness.

Top Bottom