What's new

Bic chrome platinum blades

BIC Astor Stainles for me are excellent. Quite sharp, very smooth, durable, zero issues in any razor, cheap and easy to find in Romania. Is perfectly in aggressive devices like Muhle R 41, Muhle Rocca, DS Cosmetic Z0, Parker Semi Slant, Ikon x3 Slant, but also in mild devices Muhle R89, Gillette C King, Feather Popular.
In order not to be confused, I post photos with these blades because it seems that there is also BiC Astor fake, which are very bad.
Curiosity on the package of 5 blades produced in Greece, writes in Romanian ,, 5 blades with double edge ,,

BIC Astor Stainles for me are excellent. Quite sharp, fine, durable, cheap and easy to find in Romania.

In order not to be confused, I post photos with these blades because it seems that there is also BiC Astor fake, which are very bad...
Is there a good way to distinguish genuine BIC blades from the fakes? That fake blade problem is probably why these blades seem to be either love or hate for most.

Even the Astor blades get fakes. The oroginals cost no more than 50 eurocents / 5 blades

Here's a comparison between packages and blades. First (left to right) is a rather old package (10+ years), 2nd is a package I bought from Kaufland (EU hypermarket), 3rd is a package I bought at a store in the local market.

View attachment 1151141

First hint of the package that's not quite right:
View attachment 1151142

2nd hint of the package that's not quite right:
View attachment 1151146

One of these is not like the other:
View attachment 1151148

Blade older package:
View attachment 1151143

Blade from package bought at Kaufland hypermarket:
View attachment 1151144

Blade from pack bought at the local market:
View attachment 1151145

Wrapping paper and cutting edge fully show which one is the fake.

I find it incredible that there's an operation that would counterfeit inexpensive blades such as the BIC Astor

#SilviuC, explained wonderfully here which blade is fake. The blade that says made in Greece on the back of the box of 5 blades, is fake! The original BIC Astor blades have on the back of the box, the warning sign about the danger of cutting the palm. The fake blade does not have this sign!
On the sides of the original BIC Astor packages, it says ASTOR in black on a white background, in the type that on the fake ones it says simple ASTOR in black font .

Bic 2 jpg.jpg

BIC 1.jpg

BIC CHROME Real

BIC Chrome .jpg

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Bic Chrome Platinums are my number one blade. And I've tried many. Perhaps they just pair well with my stubble or my razors (particularly amazingly good in my H&Ses but also great in my Wolfman; but, on the other hand, I didn't love them in the Yates I was trying last week). But, as a rule, they are my favorite blade.

I really like the Super Chromiums, but the Astor is terrible for my skin.

A big request sir, can you post photos with the BIC ASTOR blade package that you dislike? It will help me see if my fake blade theory stands. Does your package have a warning sign that there are sharp objects inside that can cut your palms, as in the pictures below ?

I think my Astors are the same. They feel almost as sharp as the Chrome Platinums, but not as smooth and a bit harsh. I've used 2 blades so far and the result was the same. The opened blades was used only once.

174253115_2968752936736649_3559239748151738217_n.jpg
175006956_2968752963403313_2724993371075826634_n.jpg

Thank you.
From what I see, they are original. Is it possible that there are such big differences between BIC Chrome and BIC Astor? I don't know the answer, because I haven't used BIC Chrome yet, but I read here that BIC Chrome would be identical to BIC Astor. Maybe they are still different?

I gave in to the curiosity a short while back because I'd read so many good reviews on the Bic Platinum's so I bought a tuck to give them a try and wasn't too pleased with the outcome!!

In my Ti95DC the 1st shave on the 1st blade was pretty good with just a smidge of irritation on the 1st blade only, and felt very sharp but when I got to shave #2 I had to change the blade out as it did nothing but tug and pull. After changing the blade to a new one, again I got a decent shave but when shave #2 came it was tug and pull again....are you sensing a pattern here? I waited a week before pulling out blade #3 and just as the first 2 blades were on shave #1 was sharp and cut very close and 2 days later on shave #2....tugging and pulling!! The other 2 blades are still in the tuck on the bottom of the pile and will be PIF'd at some point someday to someone else.

Long story short it would seem they are a 1 and done blade for me and that is much more costly than I'm willing to live with!! I usually only use a blade for 4-5 shaves maximum anyway as I just don't care to push a blade at all and I get very favorable results with my go to's, Shark SC and SS as well as Silver Stars... I am glad I did take the chance on giving the Bic's a try as one just never knows until you give it the good ole college try!!

I gave in to the curiosity a short while back because I'd read so many good reviews on the Bic Platinum's so I bought a tuck to give them a try and wasn't too pleased with the outcome!!

In my Ti95DC the 1st shave on the 1st blade was pretty good with just a smidge of irritation on the 1st blade only, and felt very sharp but when I got to shave #2 I had to change the blade out as it did nothing but tug and pull. After changing the blade to a new one, again I got a decent shave but when shave #2 came it was tug and pull again....are you sensing a pattern here? I waited a week before pulling out blade #3 and just as the first 2 blades were on shave #1 was sharp and cut very close and 2 days later on shave #2....tugging and pulling!! The other 2 blades are still in the tuck on the bottom of the pile and will be PIF'd at some point someday to someone else.

Long story short it would seem they are a 1 and done blade for me and that is much more costly than I'm willing to live with!! I usually only use a blade for 4-5 shaves maximum anyway as I just don't care to push a blade at all and I get very favorable results with my go to's, Shark SC and SS as well as Silver Stars... I am glad I did take the chance on giving the Bic's a try as one just never knows until you give it the good ole college try!!
Those don't sound like real BIC blades, possibly fake. Real BIC blades are nearly as sharp as Feather, but last longer -- 6-7 shaves or more. They slice cleanly, they don't pull and tug. Silver Stars are very good, though and quite a bargain.

Those don't sound like real BIC blades, possibly fake. Real BIC blades are nearly as sharp as Feather, but last longer -- 6-7 shaves or more. They slice cleanly, they don't pull and tug. Silver Stars are very good, though and quite a bargain.
I though this very same thing but they came from a very reputable source and package/blades match all authentic pics I've seen here in the forums. I'm not so worried though as I am one of those that has received my worst shaves with the likes of Feather, Kai, GSB, Gillette Plats, Yellow, Black, All Personna's, and quite a few others!! To date it would seem the only Russian made blade that somewhat works for me are Nacet's but other than Big Ben's, Asco, and Crown I can shave comfortably with almost any other Lord blade made!!

A few years ago I bought a blade sample pack and there were a couple of BIC CP and they were great, but were not as sharp as the ones I have now. I guess the quality varies from batch to batch or years of production maybe? Some folks find the CP and Astor to shave the same, while others like me find them different.

I had previously written how awful these were after I got 100 off the bay. Got 5 from a decent seller: they are nice sharp blades. Ordered 100 for cheap from @.....n and they seem to be OK and for that $, it's a real good buy as long as they are all original.
It's sad that some are fakes , or maybe they were stored in the wrong conditions.... but they are night and day. The bay seller is gone.

Bic blades are very razor dependant.

I love them in my Karve! So smooth and sharp and long lasting.

In most other razors, they feel rough on the skin.

I recently tried the Astors and I find them equally sharp as Feathers but gentle. They are almost like Perma Sharp. Better than Astra. All these with old Gillettes.

I am on my third Bic Chrome Platinum blade from a 100 blades pack bought from Amazon. 9 shaves total. Still I don't know what to conclude about them. They feel harsh and tug (especially in chin area) with against the grain pass. They also gave weepers at same spots which never happened with other blades. I also got 2 nicks today in chin area.
Surprsingly, in the end its very close BBS shave, so close that I never experienced before.
For me, they only worked smoothly in Fatip Grande and to somewhat in EJ 89 clone and Gillette old type heads. For me the reason they are tugging and not being smooth.
1) chrome or some mixtures of coating dragging against the skin.
2) Low quality lather, as I switched from regular Omega synth and Arko, to a badger/ boar brush and also used different creams.
But why a sharp blade tugs ATG and feel harsh regardless of whatever are other factors involved?

Last edited:
Bic blades are very razor dependant.

I love them in my Karve! So smooth and sharp and long lasting.

In most other razors, they feel rough on the skin.
Same feeling so far in my Rockwell 6s. They feel rough for me too.

Top Bottom