What's new

Bic chrome platinum blades

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have a second Bic Chrome Platinum blade from my tryablade order. Going to try it again. Tomorrow I am using a Tiger Platinum blade and after that...going to use a Bic Astor...also produced in Greece.

Last edited:
I bought two packs of five, tried one from each pack with same results. I also read great reviews of them online. Part of the process of finding the perfect shave. Gillette platinum gives me a great shave. Just tried Super Max blue diamond platinum. Even better then the Gillette.

They felt really dull. Lot of tugging and pulling, and was with the grain!
That really isn't the description of the Bics I have and love to use. Must be counterfeit or a bad batch maybe? I bought mine on amazon. Very sharp and no pulling in my experience. They're in my top 3 with GSB and Personna Lab Blues.

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

?? I’ve had great luck with them. No inconsistencies and a sharp blade. Fit in my top group. Mine came from Razorbladesclub.

Strange. I bought a 100 pack off of Ebay a year and a half ago and have used several and haven't come across a dud yet. One of my top blades. Wondering if a bunch of counterfeits are circulating, or they've changed where they are made and have turned bad. I do know that BIC blades are sharper after the first shave, rivaling Feathers in sharpness.

JCarr

?? I’ve had great luck with them. No inconsistencies and a sharp blade. Fit in my top group. Mine came from Razorbladesclub.

Yeah, I have to believe that the blade I used wa
Strange. I bought a 100 pack off of Ebay a year and a half ago and have used several and haven't come across a dud yet. One of my top blades. Wondering if a bunch of counterfeits are circulating, or they've changed where they are made and have turned bad. I do know that BIC blades are sharper after the first shave, rivaling Feathers in sharpness.

My thoughts exactly!

JCarr

I used a Bic Astor this morning. Different blade, but also a Bic and also manufactured in Greece. Beautiful shave!

I've got, dunno, several hundreds of BICs from amazon - probably my number one choice of blade. Very sharp, very smooth, zero issues in any razor. Yet to hit a dud.

They do get lots of coating on the cutting edge, which is why they mostly perform even better on the second shave for me, but that's not to say first shave has any problems. I sometimes cork them on piece of leftover balsa.

I've been using BICs for years , they are my favorite blade, but as long as I've been using them there have been people reporting they were garbage. A couple have sent blades to me and they were indeed garbage.

Bottom line is "they work for me" isn't persuasive that bad blades aren't a thing when it comes to BICS, it's been going on too long for too many people.

I'm into my fourth 100 pack I think, with just a few duds a couple years ago, but duds they were. I couldn't tell you where I got the duds, mostly I buy them in Cambodia for cheap I plan to keep buying.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I keep reading great things about BIC DE blades here and elsewhere, which is odd.

When I was in China, I bought a tuck or two of BIC blades, and they were nice. I was in one of the large famous-name international supermarket/department stores, and they had BIC blades on sale very cheap, so I bought them. When I went back, they were VERY cheap, so I bought some more. A few weeks later, they were on sale VERY VERY cheap, so I bought a whole bunch. After all, it was hard back then to find good DE blades, at least in a store.

When I finished my original BIC blades and opened a new tuck, I found I could not finish a single shave with the blade. I tried another tuck, same thing. All of the "sale" BICs were unusably dull.

The whole thing was rather odd at the time. One of the puzzles was why they were selling Greek made razor blades in China, and so incredibly cheap. Other name brand DE blades sold in stores were two or three times the price (and still were barely mediocre).

I look at the reviews on Amazon and I see a similar pattern. Some report BIC blades are excellent, others that they are uselessly dull. They are sold by an independent seller and distributed by Amazon.

It sounds like some of BIC blades being sold here are counterfeit. I believe now the bad ones I got in China were counterfeit. They looked exactly like the first ones I bought, but that doesn't mean anything in China, where they can make exact copies of packaging of name brand products. And China is quite capable of turning out incredibly cheap, incredibly bad DE blades. (There is also a lot of counterfeit American $100 bills circulating in China, reportedly made in North Korea. I strongly suspect my bank tried to give me a bunch, twice: crisp old-style $100s without any of the security features added in the past $12 years, and with consecutive serial numbers. When I refused them, they suddenly discovered the new type $100s, used ones.)

Frankly, I'm nervous about buying any top-notch expensive blades in the U.S. because of the risk of being sold counterfeit blades. I see a similar pattern with some other labels.

I've got two excellent blades and two very good lower priced blades that I use. There may be others that are better, but I think I'm going to settle for what I've got.

Last edited:
I keep reading great things about BIC DE blades here and elsewhere, which is odd.

When I was in China, I bought a tuck or two of BIC blades, and they were nice. I was in one of the large famous-name international supermarket/department stores, and they had BIC blades on sale very cheap, so I bought them. When I went back, they were VERY cheap, so I bought some more. A few weeks later, they were on sale VERY VERY cheap, so I bought a whole bunch. After all, it was hard back then to find good DE blades, at least in a store.

When I finished my original BIC blades and opened a new tuck, I found I could not finish a single shave with the blade. I tried another tuck, same thing. All of the "sale" BICs were unusably dull.

The whole thing was rather odd at the time. One of the puzzles was why they were selling Greek made razor blades in China, and so incredibly cheap. Other name brand DE blades sold in stores were two or three times the price (and still were barely mediocre).

I look at the reviews on Amazon and I see a similar pattern. Some report BIC blades are excellent, others that they are uselessly dull. They are sold by an independent seller and distributed by Amazon.

It sounds like some of BIC blades being sold here are counterfeit. I believe now the bad ones I got in China were counterfeit. They looked exactly like the first ones I bought, but that doesn't mean anything in China, where they can make exact copies of packaging of name brand products. And China is quite capable of turning out incredibly cheap, incredibly bad DE blades. (There is also a lot of counterfeit American $100 bills circulating in China, reportedly made in North Korea. I strongly suspect my bank tried to give me a bunch, twice: crisp old-style $100s without any of the security features added in the past $12 years, and with consecutive serial numbers. When I refused them, they suddenly discovered the new type $100s, used ones.)

Frankly, I'm nervous about buying any top-notch expensive blades in the U.S. because of the risk of being sold counterfeit blades. I see a similar pattern with some other labels.

I've got two excellent blades and two very good lower priced blades that I use. There may be others that are better, but I think I'm going to settle for what I've got.
I think that one can complain about a lot of things regarding BIC Chrome Platinum, but them being dull cannot be one of those things imho, I cannot even hear the hairs being cut. Now, arguably, perhaps in certain razors they may not appear as sharp, or there can be some duds, but I'd say that everything that feels consistently dull should be a counterfeit.

M

mtcn77

I don't know about BIC, but Permasharps were the same. It took intredible mental toll to wear both sides evenly, never tug because the friction resistant coat that is teflon wore down where friction was coincidentally the highest and it lost its smoothness where it was needed most. It also honed where it was tugging the most. It was such an experience. I would never use it with a positive blade exposure safety razor ever again.

...Frankly, I'm nervous about buying any top-notch expensive blades in the U.S. because of the risk of being sold counterfeit blades. I see a similar pattern...
Just buy from a trusted store, preferably one that specializes mainly in grooming supplies. Avoid Amazon for things like this, anyway. They don't know what they are selling and their reviews are practically worthless.

I've bought blades from places like West Coast Shaving, Italian Barber, Gifts&Care, etc. and have not had to worry about getting what I expected. Just wait for a sale, the prices can be reasonable. I would rather deal with a trusted Ebay vendor than Amazon for things like this. Amazon does not seem to know what they are selling.

Top Bottom