What's new

BIC Chrome Platinum - bad batch?!?

Not visible to my naked eye - but my eyes are nearly 70 years old so I can barely recognize my own face in the mirror when I'm shaving. :letterk1:

I didn't bother corking this blade - there is no way I want to shave with it. I have corked some of these blades from the same batch a couple of weeks ago and you can feel (and hear) the blade catching as you drag it thru the cork. They look much better after corking but still these really must be a defective lot and can't be the same BIC blades that get all the great reviews.
I wonder if corking would actually remove that thing from the edge.

...I read somewhere that employees might smuggle out a batch that failed inspection and sell on their own - that seems more likely than fake. Doesn't seem like enough profit margin to bother faking.

You might be surprised. If you could produce blades cheaper than BIC can and sell them at the same price as BIC does, you could make more profit that BIC per unit. When you consider the global razor blade market is estimated at over $2 billion annually, there's money to be made.

There are supposedly some shops in China that will print whatever you like on some cheap blades and provide clone packaging to match. Blades can be produced for a few dollars per 100 in quantity. From $2.50 to $15.00 would be a 600% markup throughout the sales chain!

lasta

Blade Biter
You might be surprised. If you could produce blades cheaper than BIC can and sell them at the same price as BIC does, you could make more profit that BIC per unit. When you consider the global razor blade market is estimated at over $2 billion annually, there's money to be made.

There are supposedly some shops in China that will print whatever you like on some cheap blades and provide clone packaging to match. Blades can be produced for a few dollars per 100 in quantity. From $2.50 to $15.00 would be a 600% markup throughout the sales chain!
Yeah, this guy:
Screenshot_20221209_004009.jpg
Screenshot_20221209_004028.jpg
Screenshot_20221209_003854.jpg
Notice the catalog of blade wrappers and fake Dorcos.

What was the other site you ordered from, besides Amazon?

I always read all of the Amazon reviews and while they are 70+% (5 Star) positive, I always look at the other reviews as well to get well rounded opinions from others. It was the combination of the reviews on Amazon that made me second guess purchasing the Bic Chrome Platinum from them.

Also, there are two listings (from different sellers) on Amazon. One sells for $15.90 and the other one sells for $16.45.

One listing has a 73% fully positive rating, whereas the other one has a 66% fully positive rating.

I've ordered mine from both Razorbladesclub as well as Bonanza. So far, I haven't had any issues from those I have used.

I have what appears to be a different packaging design compared to what is currently available on Amazon. Actually, I do have the same packaging that is on Amazon, but I have a partial pack in what I assume is the older packaging (fold out card).

It is frustrating when purchasing blades because I've read mixed reviews on blades purchased on Amazon.

I've used Bic Chrome Platinum blades daily for years (Rockwell 6S w/6-plate) and get 5 great shaves per blade before I discard them. I did buy package of 100 last year, sampled blades from six different tucks, and they were all unusable. Whether counterfeit or a QC issue, I decided to always buy them from Amazon (famously great return policy) in case it ever happens again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-170647_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-170647_Chrome.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230204-170547_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-170547_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 20

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I ordered 50 from Amazon and finally shaved with a good Bic blade. The tuck I had gotten previously must have either been a knockoff or just come from a bad batch.

Wow, this thread may be the most 'YMMV' thing I've seen on B&B yet, lol. The range of experience here is staggering.

FWIW, I've been using Bic CP on my mug daily for years and never encountered a single problem. In any of my razors.

For me, they've been sharp, consistent and durable. I've even taken a couple well past 40 shaves just for fun.

BTW, I can definitely confirm that they sharpen appreciably after the first shave. Coating wearing off, perhaps?

I have both set of those blades, the more orangish (box) and the more yellowish (fold out card). I think the blades are the same, but the color of the tuck and the printing on the back of the tuck are different. I'll need to do a head to head to know if they are indeed the same. Anyone else already try this?

Can anyone also confirm which sets are older?

Last edited:
I am surprised by some of the responses in this thread, just as I was when I started a similar thread back in August of 2022 about the very same blades. This is NOT a "YMMV" thing. It is not. I have no doubt at this point that a "good" batch of Bic Crome P is a very sharp, quality blade. This has been documented enough in numerous places to satisfy me. However, I ended up with 100 horrible blades (purchased from Amazon - for the record) that just are horribly dull. My wife concurs. They remind me of the the old Rockwell blades. Just horribly dull. I got the same responses from some. Oh, it's "razor dependent". No, it isn't. The first shave is bad, then it sharpens up. No, it doesn't. I am just stunned by the level of denial with some people.

AndyPanda has taken the time and trouble to actually post photos of microscopic views of these blades, both from his bad batch and good batch. The difference is so obvious it defies argument. This is what is called "proof". Some people get bad Bics. We don't know why. Smuggled rejects out of the factory? Counterfeits? Who knows? The fact is some batches that are supposed to be Bic Chrome Platinum are just really bad. Andy Panda has proved it beyond any reasonable doubt. No corking, stropping, waiting for the next shave, or changing razors is going to change it. They are bad blades.

I really have grown to like very sharp blades, so I would be interested in trying some "good" Bics, but buying 100 bad blades and the fact that I have quality blades that will last me many years has me not so interested anymore. That's just me right now.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if you have a bunch of good, bonafide Bics, then I am happy for you. However, some of us got burned with bad Bics. They're bad. Fact. It's not opinion. It's not YMMV. We're not shaving with your good blades. I know what I'm doing. I've been wet shaving a long time. Here is what someone said on my post last year that has been shaving her legs most of her life. My wife agrees.
I tried the final Bic of the tuck. This was like the rest. So dull. It hurt. I took it out half the way up my leg. This was in the massamune open comb. Even the PAA worked great in that.

AndyPanda, thank you for posting those pics. I always appreciate people posting microscopic views of razor blade edges. It's fascinating to me to see just how different the edges look on different blades.

Bad Bics. If I were much younger, I know what my new band's name would be...

The nacet looks way nicer. Funny thing is I like the Bic blade and never had a prob. I buy them off Ebay. Although people also rave about Kai blades. Had the worst shave (bloodbath) shave of my life with one of those blades. Not that is was to sharp but like a board with rose thorns on it. SOOO many blade choices.

I may have run into the dreaded fake Bics. I ordered 2x 100 blade boxes from Vietnam at a price that was too good to be true. The packaging seems almost identical to a box from Turkey that I assume to be genuine. Orange paper, orange tuck. The colors were closely matched, if a touch different. The shave was really awful, so bad I had to change razors straight away.

I will try another tuck from the box to see if things improve. It could be a bad blade, bad tuck, or maybe the whole thing is fraudulent. The lesson learned might be to stay away from Vietnam blade vendors. If things are too good to be true, they probably are!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I may have run into the dreaded fake Bics. I ordered 2x 100 blade boxes from Vietnam at a price that was too good to be true. The packaging seems almost identical to a box from Turkey that I assume to be genuine. Orange paper, orange tuck. The colors were closely matched, if a touch different. The shave was really awful, so bad I had to change razors straight away.

I will try another tuck from the box to see if things improve. It could be a bad blade, bad tuck, or maybe the whole thing is fraudulent. The lesson learned might be to stay away from Vietnam blade vendors. If things are too good to be true, they probably are!

This was the first three experiences I had with this blade...absolutely horrific. I did eventually find legitimate Bic Chrome Platinum blades. Once you find them, You're glad you kept at it.

This was the first three experiences I had with this blade...absolutely horrific. I did eventually find legitimate Bic Chrome Platinum blades. Once you find them, You're glad you kept at it.
Yeah, I love BIC CP. I have several hundred of them from at least 4 different sources. Amazon UK (from itself) used to sell them, so I know at least some of my collection is legit. They are sweet when authentic.

I have three different versions of the Bic CP blades. Yellow/Yellow (from a USA vendor on Amazon) and Orange/Orange (from Amazon UK directly) and Orange/Orange (from Vietnam). There are printing differences on all three but the Y/Y and O/O (Amazon UK) shave pretty similarly. Meanwhile of 2 of 200 O/O VN blades, the shaves have been terrible. Of note, the blade paper of the VN version is different than the other two. It is not quite as shiny and feels waxy rather than plastic smooth.

The blade printing on the O/O Amazon UK is also much better, it is quite precise. The other two have bold smudged printing. It may be that the Y/Y version is older stock with different printing equipment. But if you see O/O tucks with bad printing, be wary!

Another difference between the Vietnam purchased O/O is that the cardboard tuck has a different feel. The uncoated inside feels much smoother than the legitimate tucks. So the cardboard feels smoother, the paper feels rougher and the blades shave like crap.

100% confirmed there are fake Bic CPs in the market. Buyer beware. Only buy them from trusted sources. Pay extra if you must, the fake ones are dangerously bad.

Top Bottom