What's new

Bic Blades ?

If Astra (presumably Astra SP) and Star blades work well for you, you probably have no need to use BIC Chrome Platinum blades. I have never used Star blades, so I cannot comment on them. Astra SP blades are not nearly sharp enough for my tough beard. I have yet to get a good shave from Astra SP blades.

I love BIC blades, but prefer using them in a very mild razor due to my sensitive skin. Typically, I use them in a VDH/Weishi TTO razor that is about as mild as you can get. They work wonderfully in that razor. I can use them in a slightly more aggressive DE89 razor, but I would never use them in anything more aggressive than that.

Although BIC blades are not quite as sharp as Feather blades out of the wrapper, once the coating on the BIC blades starts to wear off, they become just as sharp as Feathers. Thus, for those who have tough beards, BIC blades are wonderful. Your shaving technique, however, has to be excellent to be able to use them without irritation or weepers.
Thank you for your thoughts. No, I most likely will not be using the Bic blades, although I'll give the second Bic blade a try just to be fair. I have at least a dozen to try out from the tryablade pack and I'll continue working my way through them to see which blade is best for me and my razor. Appreciate it.

Cliff

Thank you for your thoughts. No, I most likely will not be using the Bic blades, although I'll give the second Bic blade a try just to be fair. I have at least a dozen to try out from the tryablade pack and I'll continue working my way through them to see which blade is best for me and my razor. Appreciate it.

Cliff
You can put the BIC blades aside for a few months or a year. Then, try them again. You might find you like them much better.

I got 2 100 packs of BiC's last year really cheap on-line. They shave great & remain on my top 5 favorites list. They were insanely cheap. They may have been stolen but they aren't counterfeit. No dots on the wrapper, but 2 wax dots on the blade itself.

I got 2 100 packs of BiC's last year really cheap on-line. They shave great & remain on my top 5 favorites list. They were insanely cheap. They may have been stolen but they aren't counterfeit. No dots on the wrapper, but 2 wax dots on the blade itself.
Thanks, but I don't have a clue as to what you mean by dots on the wrappers and/or wax dots on the blades. And stolen but not counterfeit???

Thanks, but I don't have a clue as to what you mean by dots on the wrappers and/or wax dots on the blades. And stolen but not counterfeit???
The dots are in reply to others posting that they either have wrapped BiC blades that are secured with wax dots adhering the blade to the wrapper - or not. Many blade manufacturers secure their blades within the wrapper with a wax material that prevents the blade from moving around and dulling the edge - this has given rise to many inquiries by folks about removing the wax (or not) before using the blade.
Counterfeiting is another topic discussed recently. My comments were that I got my Bic Blades artificially cheap. This could indicate they may have been counterfeit. My contention is they were cheap not because they were imitations, but (humorously) because they were (speculatively) stolen.
Anything more I can do to help clue you in, just ask.

The dots are in reply to others posting that they either have wrapped BiC blades that are secured with wax dots adhering the blade to the wrapper - or not. Many blade manufacturers secure their blades within the wrapper with a wax material that prevents the blade from moving around and dulling the edge - this has given rise to many inquiries by folks about removing the wax (or not) before using the blade.
Counterfeiting is another topic discussed recently. My comments were that I got my Bic Blades artificially cheap. This could indicate they may have been counterfeit. My contention is they were cheap not because they were imitations, but (humorously) because they were (speculatively) stolen.
Anything more I can do to help clue you in, just ask.
Ah, makes sense now, thank you for taking the time to explain. And this explains the glue/wax drops that were on the faces of the Astra blades I just finished ( but only one of them). Thanks again.

Do you recall where you purchased them? I’m somewhat leery of Amazon. I hear too many stories of the blades are horrible and this is from people who love them. I’m not sure what is going on, but some people report no wax dots on the blades and they say they are horrible. The ones I received in a sampler pack had wax dots and were great.

Do you recall where you purchased them? I’m somewhat leery of Amazon. I hear too many stories of the blades are horrible and this is from people who love them. I’m not sure what is going on, but some people report no wax dots on the blades and they say they are horrible. The ones I received in a sampler pack had wax dots and were great.
If you don't mind me horning in, there were no wax dots or anything on the blades or the wrappers for my Bic blades, and the blade was one of the worst I've ever tried. Its from a sample pack from tryablade.com.

My first 100 pack was from Amazon, and the 2 I wrote about were from an E-Bay seller last year.

I have purchased several 100 packs of blades on Amazon: Astra SP, Astra SS, BIC Chrome Platinum, Crystal, Dorco Prime Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, Gillette Nacets, Gillette Permasharp Super, Lord Premium Platinum, Personna Israeli Reds, Shark Platinum and Supermax Blue Diamond. Of those, the only "bad" blades were the Astra SP, which are some of the most popular and highly rated blades on Amazon. I do not believe the Astra SP blades I got were bad; they are just not sharp enough to work with my tough, old man beard. I have tried Astra SP from multiple sources and they never have worked for me. I am leery of purchasing from eBay, but with the Amazon return policy, purchasing from them carries little risk.

Who here likes and uses Bic blades? What are they like, and how do you rate them in relation to other brands...
I’m just totally curious!
I have just started using the Chrome Platinum blades. I am amazed at these blades. I have used just about every blade out there, and this is the most efficient, comfortable blade I have ever used. I have very coarse whiskers growing in all directions, and this blade just cuts through it, without any roughness or irritation whatsoever. I never dreamed a blade could be this good. I want to throw out all of my other favorite blades which have been mainly Astra, and Gillette Silver Blues. I am finding the Bic superior in every way. I especially like the added bonus of a very clean blade after shaving. No gunk residue left after a quick rinse. This seems to prolong blade life. However, I do like a fresh blade, so I rarely use a blade more than 2 times. These blades are so economically priced aka inexpensive, changing frequently is no worry. I'm sure though I could probably get a week's worth of shaves but have not felt the need to push the blade too far.

Many compare these to feathers. IMHO, these are every bit as sharp, but far less aggressive, smoother, and results in a far better overall shave in terms of closeness and comfort. And, Bic is literally far less expensive. Cannot do better than that.

Now your razor is also part of the equation. I have recently switched to the new Henson razor, which is a revolutionary design. I won't review that here, but the combo of Henson and Bic is magical. The mildness of Henson with the sharpness of the Bic complement each other. I better shave I've never had than this combo.

I'm likely to never use another blade than the Bic. Hope I answered your question about Bic Chrome Platinum blades.

I have just started using the Chrome Platinum blades. I am amazed at these blades. I have used just about every blade out there, and this is the most efficient, comfortable blade I have ever used. I have very coarse whiskers growing in all directions, and this blade just cuts through it, without any roughness or irritation whatsoever. I never dreamed a blade could be this good. I want to throw out all of my other favorite blades which have been mainly Astra, and Gillette Silver Blues. I am finding the Bic superior in every way. I especially like the added bonus of a very clean blade after shaving. No gunk residue left after a quick rinse. This seems to prolong blade life. However, I do like a fresh blade, so I rarely use a blade more than 2 times. These blades are so economically priced aka inexpensive, changing frequently is no worry. I'm sure though I could probably get a week's worth of shaves but have not felt the need to push the blade too far.

Many compare these to feathers. IMHO, these are every bit as sharp, but far less aggressive, smoother, and results in a far better overall shave in terms of closeness and comfort. And, Bic is literally far less expensive. Cannot do better than that.

Now your razor is also part of the equation. I have recently switched to the new Henson razor, which is a revolutionary design. I won't review that here, but the combo of Henson and Bic is magical. The mildness of Henson with the sharpness of the Bic complement each other. I better shave I've never had than this combo.

I'm likely to never use another blade than the Bic. Hope I answered your question about Bic Chrome Platinum blades.

Nice!
The BIC is definitely a brilliant blade!
I find it to be feather sharp but well mannered. It's not bitey or harsh on my skin.

It became my favorite blade about a year ago, surpassing the Polsilver.

The BIC in my Blackbird is giving the best shaves of my life! I do 4 passes daily and I get a shave so smooth that no other razor/blade combo has ever matched!

Given the aggression of the blackbird and the sharpness of the BIC, the first shave can be a little aggressive but shaves 2-7 are heavenly! So close and so smooth.

Blade life is a huge plus as I get an entire week from it.

Consistency so far has been flawless! Every blade is sharp and performs just like the previous blade from the pack.

I've built up essentially a lifetime stash of these blades!!

Top Bottom